Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Kar Burns, R.I.P.  (Read 27184 times)

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
Re: Dr. Kar Burns, R.I.P.
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 09:39:26 PM »

All,

I will be attending the memorial service tomorrow in Salt Lake City (I live about an hour and a half from there).  I'll pass along condolences and will give a full report later this weekend.

LTM,
Friend
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 05:53:02 AM »

I will be attending the memorial service tomorrow in Salt Lake City (I live about an hour and a half from there).  I'll pass along condolences and will give a full report later this weekend.

Thanks.  Much appreciated!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »

All,

It was a very fitting service held on a sunny, warm January afternoon in Salt Lake City's Wasatch Presbyterian Church.  Family members commented during the memorial about experiences that made me wish I could have had an opportunity to meet Kar - she sounds like quite the character who was dedicated to the causes she believed in yet, at the same time, had a keen sense of humor and a love of life.  Members of the Burns family as well as an associate from the University of Utah all mentioned Kar's interest and work on Nikumaroro in the quest for knowledge of AE's final resting place.  Following the service officiated by Reverend Scott Dalgamo and which included a musical selection by the Joyful Noise Bell Choir and a vocal solo by Jeri Lynn Whitney, I was able to visit briefly with daughters Liisa, Tasha, Lara and son Alex to express condolences and to bring well wishes from all of us at TIGHAR.  All four returned expressions of gratitude for the concern shown here and for the friendship shared with Kar by our assoicates who worked side-by-side with her.

Thanks to all for the sacred honor and opportunity of representing TIGHAR at Kar's memorial service,
Friend

(I will attach clearer scans of the program when I have access to my scanner at work next week.  In the meantime and in the interest of expediency I am attaching these lower-quality photos of the program notes.)
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:30:46 PM by Friend Weller »

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 06:36:27 AM »

Thank you for attending and for reporting back to us that were unable to do so. I, too, wish that I had been able to meet Dr. Burns, but at least had the chance to know her through her work with TIGHAR.

Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:28:20 PM by Jeff Lange »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 10:07:12 AM »

Friend,

Thank you for attending.  I wish I could have been there.  We'll be doing our own tribute to Kar as part of our Earhart Search 75 symposium in June.  Here are a few photos of Kar on Nikumaroro.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org