Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Seven Site  (Read 242614 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Seven Site
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2013, 03:33:44 PM »

I mean Gallager had it right, he was a great man because he wrote I think we should let the Americans know about this and the WHPC said no not right now that would be bad because we don't want to give them false hopes

Gallagher thought he could've "possibly" found our intrepid Aviatrix and thought the Americans should be told.  But cooler heads prevailed and they analyzed the bones first.

I suggest that you guys go back and read the Bones Chronology and correct your misconceptions about who said what.

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2013, 12:27:42 PM »

a certain bottle alleged to have been found near skull discovered on Gardner Island. Grateful you retain bottle in safe place for present and ask Koata not to talk about skull which is just possibly that of Amelia Earhardt.
Bones look more than four years old to me but there seems to be very slight chance that this may be remains of Amelia Earhardt. If United States authorities find that above evidence fits into general description, perhaps they could supply some dental information as many teeth are intact.

Which part did I get wrong?  He thought it could possibly be Amelia and "If US Authorities find that above evidence fits general description" would indicate that they would be told.

LTM,

Don

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »

Gallagher seems to have assumed that "U.S. Authorities" would be informed but I think your characterization that "cooler heads prevailed" misses the mark. On October 9, Vaskess, the Secretary of the WPHC, suggested to the High Commissioner that the U.S. Consul in Sydney be informed. On October 23, Dr. MacPherson suggested several avenues of outside investigation.  It was the High Commissioner, Sir Harry Luke, who prevented a wider investigation.  To say this his head was cooler implies that everyone else was being hot-headed.  I think the other were being rational and he was being overly cautious.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »

Did Isaac know of the association of the bones to the other objects found? 

Dec 27, 1940
Gallagher to Vaskess
“two packages are being handed to the Master, R.C.S. "Nimanoa", for eventual delivery to the High Commission Office in Suva. The larger of these packages is the coffin containing the remains of the unidentified individual found on the South Eastern shore of Gardner Island; the second package is the sextant box found in the immediate locality and contains all the other pieces of evidence which were found in the proximity of the body”
Gallagher sent the bones in one package and the other items in a smaller package

Feb 6, 1941
Isaac to Gallagher
“I understand from the Master R.C.S. Nimanoa, that he has certain human remains on board consigned to Suva. As I am in charge of Medical and forensic investigation of such objects throughout the whole colony and have no knowledge of the matter, I presume that the package was intended to be consigned to myself”
Isaac refers to “the” package.

Feb 11, 1941
Isaac to Gallagher
Confidential
“For your information remains taken from "Nimanoa" part skeleton elderly male of Polynesian race and that indications are that bones have been in sheltered position for upwards of 20 years and possibly much longer.”

Feb 11, 1941
Gallagher to Isaac
Confidential
Your confidential telegram 11th February. Many thanks — rather an anticlimax!
From the “aniti Climax” phrase, did Gallagher think Isaac knew of his original theory that the bones may be Earhart’s?

Feb 14, 1941
Isaac to Gallagher
Matter became somewhat tense and complex after guillotine conversation between us. As I had (and still have) no information save presence of remains and therefore......quarantine from.....no danger infaction [sic]. I am still wondering how wretched relics can be interesting
But this seems like Isaac never knew of the association
3971R

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:40:59 PM by G. Daspit »

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #169 on: February 05, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »

your characterization that "cooler heads prevailed" misses the mark.

Will give you that.  It probably was not the best choice of words.

LTM,

Don

Al Leonard

• T2
« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2013, 10:04:22 PM »

There has been some discussion about a part of a knife found at the Seven Site. The idea often mentioned is that the knife was deliberately broken apart so a blade could be used for spearfishing. I know many fish bones were found at the Seven Site. So my question is, are the bones consistent with spearfishing activity? I'm wondering about the size of the fish, I guess; I imagine one wouldn't try spearing sardine-sized fish, for instance, because (I would think...) they would be difficult targets for a spearfisherman/woman.

Alf
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:07:16 PM by Al Leonard »

Al Leonard

• T2
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2013, 10:05:08 PM »

Now from spearfishing to noodling, i.e., catching fish by hand. In The Colonization of the Phoenix Islands, Harry Maude says of his first visit to Gardner Island that “The fish were so plentiful and unaccustomed to man that they were literally scooped out of the water by hand.”

So, I’m wondering whether the fish were as tame as Maude describes during the many Tighar expeditions to Nikumaroro (I’m guessing the sharks were not). Would any veterans of these trips share what they recall?

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2013, 10:00:20 AM »

In my three expeditions to Nikumaroro, I have not found the fish to be so tame as to be simply scooped out of the water by hand.  No matter how tame, simply scooping fish out of water seems to me to be a pretty difficult trick, so my guess is that Maude was exaggerating a tad for effect.  Maybe he was imagining using a net which would have been much easier to scoop fish with.

In 2001, there were a whole lot more fish than in the later trips - 2007 and 2010, evidently due to the rise in temperatures in the central Pacific.  Even then, we couldn't have scooped them by hand.  I was successful at catching a fish by hand on the reef flat at low tide, but that was only because there were three of them trapped in a hole with nowhere to go.  I managed to get one by the tail and yank him out, but it didn't take long for it to squiggle out of my grasp.  They are slimy buggers that fight for freedom, makes them hard to hold onto.  If I'd had a spear or a net, on the other hand, I would've have had three fish for dinner.

Andrew

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2013, 12:48:51 PM »

Hi All

Ric

I posted these images a while back and got no response, Am posting again because i cannot find another image of seven site area that has two white blobs at top of tree's that to me look like people, The image is from the July 9th fly over.

No Doubt there is a simply explanation for it

Thanks Richie
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Bill de Creeft

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2013, 01:09:06 PM »

Richy !!

You just keep on looking !!

Goodonya ....
(someday we'll know)

Bill
Bill de Creeft

Tighar Member #4131

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »

Hi Bill

think i have got at least 20 gig hard drive space full of Amelia Earhart and Tighar related stuff, Electra, Island, Documents, Video's, if's, buts, were's, when's, hows, whys,  :)

For anyone who likes reading Amelia related stuff go to http://tighar.org/wiki/TIGHAR_Tracks

Love it me i do

Thanks Richie

Member# 416

Brano Lacika

• T1
« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2013, 02:36:14 PM »

Hi All

Ric

I posted these images a while back and got no response, Am posting again because i cannot find another image of seven site area that has two white blobs at top of tree's that to me look like people, The image is from the July 9th fly over.

No Doubt there is a simply explanation for it

Thanks Richie

Got any idea about the size of those objects? To me it looks too large to be people... hm...  :-\

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2013, 02:59:55 PM »

Nope  :)

That's for the people who know how too,  I just know there is no other image of seven site with them too white anomaly's that seem to be atop of tree's, However it could be foam off over wash or the wind blew the tree's apart at that exact time an we are seeing edge of lagoon

But if anyone would know it would be Ric

Thanks Richie

Member# 416

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:18:28 PM by richie conroy »

Brano Lacika

• T1
« Reply #178 on: June 15, 2013, 01:50:55 AM »

That day it could be only AE+FN atop that tree. But for them ( when they heard the plane overflying) it would be probably easier, faster and safer to run to the beach to be visible. I don´t think you can get on the top of the tree that way. You can only climb up to the branches strong enough to hold the weight of your body, but then you are still covered by the outer thin branches and leaves.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:57:56 AM by Brano Lacika »

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2013, 11:50:45 AM »

If the blobs are real my guess is that they are most likely fog or smoke, maybe they did get a fire lit but in the wrong place.

Although there are a huge number of unknowns I find it unlikely that one or both of them would have been in the seven site at the time of the fly over.  Given the post loss radio messages and tide time table it would not have been long since the Electra was out of commission and it the present evidence would suggest that it didn't just fall of the reef but was still there partially submerged in the surf  at the edge of the reef maybe starting to break up, it seems likely that AE and FN would have been still in the neighbourhood to salvage what they could. 
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org