Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo  (Read 15321 times)

C.W. Herndon

• T5
Gizmo
« on: July 03, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »

I have been looking through the Purdue pictures again, seems like all I do anymore, and found this strange little thing.

Does anyone know what the little "gizmo" sticking out at the front, lower edge of the side cockpit window might be?

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/u?/earhart,270
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Gizmo
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »

Foot hold to get into cockpit via the roof hatch? looks like a hell of a step up without it.
This must be the place

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 01:04:31 PM »

Jeff, there are several pictures of AE getting out of the cockpit and she always appears to place one hand on each side of the opening and lift herself out. I don't recall seeing a picture that actually says she is getting into the cockpit. However there is an identical "gizmo" on the starboard side. No reason to have a foot hold there that I can see.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »

Here are two different views of the "gizmo".

One from the front showing one on each side. Picture one below.

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/u?/earhart,272

Here is a different view from the side. Picture 2 below.

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/u?/earhart,288

Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »

Well, I have just discovered that the Harney drawings identify the "gizmo" as a "sliding window channel". I guess it could have been there to allow more airflow through the cockpit when on the ground. No A/C back then so it likely got more than a little warm inside when on the ground. I knew the side windows would slide but I never thought about part of the "windshield" having a sliding panel.

I don't see how it could have been opened very far in flight since it had no obvious upper channel to hold the top of the window in place.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of ventilation system?
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 08:41:48 PM »

All,
I think it is an over-center mech. to keep the window closed when in flight.
Ted Campbell
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org