Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proposed Ham radio propagation testing........................  (Read 13722 times)

N2APG

• T1
Proposed Ham radio propagation testing........................
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:09:02 PM »

I just came upon this, and thought it might be of some interest....................

http://www.wc5c.org/WC5CClub/NikumaroroAmeliaEarhartHamRadioTest/tabid/570/Default.aspx

Dave Kocivar

John B. Shattuck

• TIGHAR member
Re: Proposed Ham radio propagation testing........................
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 03:19:17 AM »

hard to think we can learn anything conclusive from setting up and broadcasting from Niku.  They can't replicate the atmospheric conditions in place at the time of AE's radio broadcasts.  It is already well known that under the right conditions, radio waves can go an amazingly long ways, depending on the atmospheric "bounce" of the frequency and it's harmonics.  So no matter what the outcome, it does not really advance any knowledge of the fate of the crew, nor really prove or disprove anything; contrary to what they seem to indicate on their website.

I will concede that success may help convince some of the general public that does not understand how far radio waves can go.  And it may be a fun adventure to try it...

JB

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 05:05:22 AM »

They can't replicate the atmospheric conditions in place at the time of AE's radio broadcasts.

This, I think, is one example of what I remember from my introduction to physics as "controlling the variables."
  • Position of the aircraft
  • Size, shape, location of the transmitting antenna on the aircraft
  • Power supply
  • Qualities of the transmitter itself
  • Qualities of the receivers used
  • Size, shape, location of the receiving antennas
I'm sure that's just some of the variables involved.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 06:38:55 AM »

I just came upon this, and thought it might be of some interest....................

http://www.wc5c.org/WC5CClub/NikumaroroAmeliaEarhartHamRadioTest/tabid/570/Default.aspx

Richie Conroy posted about this same DXpedition notice three years ago.

If their dream comes to fruition, let's hope they follow the protocols required by Kiribati law.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Neff Jacobs

• T2
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 07:49:43 PM »

To a degree this was tested on the night of July 2, 3 by the PBY call sign 62C attempting to reach Howland from Honolulu.  62C was on 4235kc and Itasca on 355kc.   I am sure 355 was CW, morse code, I expect 4235 was also cw.  Thompson reported good hourly communication all night with 62C.   So, on different frequencies with different operators at least on 62Cs end, using a different mode and presumably the aircraft using a trailing wire antenna communication worked fine.

This DX padition will likely "prove" the same thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org