Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Plane wreck believed to be Earhart's found in Bougainville  (Read 52971 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Plane wreck believed to be Earhart's found in Bougainville
« on: February 28, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »

Read the full article in PACNEWS--Pacific Islands News Association.

"The discovery of an aircraft wreck at the depth of 70 metres north-west of Buka in Bougainville may hold some answers to the 74-year mystery of the disappearance of world-famous aviatrix – Amelia Earhart.

"There are strong indications that the aircraft is a Lockheed Model 10 Electra which took off from Lae on July 2nd 1937 destined for Howland Island. The crash site is in direct alignment with Earhart’s flight path out of Lae, past north of Buka Island in a straight northeast direction to Howland."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
Re: Plane wreck believed to be Earhart's found in Bougainville
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »

Reminds me of dialogue from "Raiders of the Lost Ark":

Indiana: There's a big snake in the plane, Jock!
Jock: Oh, that's just my pet snake Reggie.
Indiana: I hate snakes, Jock! I hate 'em!
Jock: Come on! Show a little backbone, will ya!
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Mona Kendrick

• T2
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »

"reported gold bullion sitting in the aircraft"

WooHoo! The conspiracy thickens!  Obviously the U.S. govt. was sending AE on a mission to deliver the gold to some foreign government.  Now we just need to figure out who the intended recipient was.   :D

Mona

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 01:55:12 AM »

Not new news but at least an update.  Gold and snakes! Bet there's some on board cameras and flight plans to the Marshalls ;)

Earharts Electra found in Papua New Guinea

Claims Amelia Earharts plane found

jeff f

• T1
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »

after 24 hours of flying they crashed there ?

doubt it

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 10:41:10 AM »

No pictures!  Can't we get our gov. to force them to release what they have?  Probably not! 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »

Oh yea, and there is that other little fact that AE reported her position the morning after within listening range of Howland.  Shoots ANY chance that this is AE's plane fight in the foot!  Unless, she turned back and got that far on the few gallons of fuel she had left.  This story regarding Buka is stupid and an insult! 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »

Oh yea, and there is that other little fact that AE reported her position the morning after within listening range of Howland.  Shoots ANY chance that this is AE's plane fight in the foot!  Unless, she turned back and got that far on the few gallons of fuel she had left.  This story regarding Buka is stupid and an insult! 

Just as every white woman seen from a distance in the custody of the Japanese seems to have become Amelia Earhart in later recollections, it appears that every lost aircraft in the Pacific becomes hers.

"Nature abhors a vacuum."  The disappearance of the aircraft on July 2, 1937, has left a huge hole in the historical narrative.  Many people--TIGHAR included!--would like to fill that emptiness with a satisfactory account of What Really Happened.

The folks backing the sunken plane seem to me to be suffering from Helpful Witness Syndrome.  Probably the only cure is to get divers down to the wreck (if there is a wreck) to show what the aircraft really is.  But I'm not willing to donate any money for that cure.   8)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »

That's strange, the article mentioned the bullion (though they forgot to say it was Nazi gold) and the snake but not the curse...

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »

"Bougainvilleans warn visitors to island"

"02 MARCH 2011 BUKA ( POST COURIER) ---- No one is allowed to travel to Bougainville and make an attempt to visit a plane wreck of Amelia Earhart, locals warned yesterday.

"An aircraft said to fit the description of Earhart's Lockheed 10E Electra is resting at the depth of 70 metres on a reef at Matsungan Island, northwest of Buka.

"The group carrying out the confirmation expedition headed by David Mona and businessman Cletus Harepa have warned that any divers from overseas or outside Bougainville planning a 'diving' trip to the crash site would have to seek permission from them.  ..."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 03:35:41 PM »

Is sounding more and more like a good sci-fi/action movie plot.  Wrecked plane of fame aviatrix, mysterious gold bullion, and it is all guarded by a 6 metre long killer snake.  Once they get the coral off the side of that plane they will see the metal plate with the the curse written on it... ::)

BTW:  Not a marine biologist but would really like to know, what would be the species of a large sea snake that dwells at a depth of 70 metres?

LTM,

Don

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »

BTW:  Not a marine biologist but would really like to know, what would be the species of a large sea snake that dwells at a depth of 70 metres?

Perhaps they've found a new species as well as gold?  :D

This article suggests that most sea snakes live in shallow water.  It kind of makes sense to me (NB: I'm not a marine biologist either, nor do I play one in my dreams): snakes are air-breathing reptiles.

Now, if it is a poisonous eel, that's a horse of a different color.   :P
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »

But IF AE HAD managed to crash there (reverse course and fly at 1,100 MPH until fuel gone after speaking to Itasca, etc.), just who might have left all those marvelous things found at the 7 site?

I love TIGHAR.  I've paid my dues.  I serve as the root admin on the site.  I appreciate what TIGHAR has accomplished.  But I don't think we're at the point where we can say "There is no other explanation of the materials found at the Seven Site other than AE."

Strange things do happen.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 04:04:47 AM »

Perhaps they've found a new species as well as gold?  :D

This article suggests that most sea snakes live in shallow water.  It kind of makes sense to me (NB: I'm not a marine biologist either, nor do I play one in my dreams): snakes are air-breathing reptiles.

Now, if it is a poisonous eel, that's a horse of a different color.   :P

Now I know Wikipedia isn't the fount of all human knowledge but Wikipedia, sea snakes would suggest that some species can be found in depths of upto 90M.  However it also indicates that most species of sea snake are docial.

Could be an aggresive Eel though!

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 05:08:37 AM »

Now I know Wikipedia isn't the font of all human knowledge but Wikipedia, sea snakes would suggest that some species can be found in depths of up to 90M.  However it also indicates that most species of sea snake are docile.

OK, I stand (well, sit) corrected.  I had missed that line when I scanned the article.  I guess if they've been seen swimming at 90M, they could nest at 90M (do snakes nest?).
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org