Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of zippered items did AE and FN have aboard NR16020?  (Read 14864 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator

A zipper manufactured between 1933 and 1936 has been found at the Seven Site.

The pull does not match any of the pulls visible and identifiable on AE or FN's clothing.

Video of AE zipping a bag shut with some difficulty.

Marty
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

pilotart

• T3
Re: What kind of zippered items did AE and FN have aboard NR16020?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:51:22 AM »

From a glance at the "Zipper Report", it looks like you have established US mfg between 1933-38 and that it was used for "medium to heavy duty... This could include heavy duty work clothing, jackets, airplane baggage vent, and etc.," and HD Work clothing should include Flight Suits and Coveralls that would be needed (doubt that the 10E Special would have had a heater), as well as jackets.

You have eliminated Coast Guard issue, don't suppose they would have brought 'civvies', so to carry this forward to other possible sources, you just have to consider something like 'US Missionary Donated' jackets or similar as an alternate source.

I know I should 'go-through' my closet, but I do have Jackets (Army Field Type from '60's) etc. that date back 40 years and if I 'made-space' they would be donated rather than trashed.
_________________________________________________________________________________

It was the video that Marty had linked that really caught my eye though, with its take-off from Oakland Airfield.

It would have been as true in the 'thirtys' as it is now; you must establish a 'Positive Rate of Climb' before retracting landing gear and a lot of pilots will wait until they wouldn't re-land on runway remaining ahead.

On that take-off; you can see the Electra lift off and begin to climb, but then 'settle' back to the ground just as the gear begins the rectraction cycle.  Considering the probable final fate of AE & Fred on Gardener Island makes me wish it could have all ended with such a simple (surviviable) mishap like a 'gear-up' landing (or an engine starting fire in Phoenix).

Art
Art Johnson

Mona Kendrick

• T2
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 12:10:24 PM »

>>As to take-off / gear retraction - how right Art is.  With apologies and realizing the post has to do with 'zippers in action', the point is well raised as to pilot habits by Art's comments -<<

Don't forget that Paul Mantz was co-pilot for that trip.  Before inferring very much about AE's habits, I would want to know what their division of labor for the takeoff was.

Mona
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:15:33 PM by Mona Kendrick »

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:58:56 PM »

I think forum rules limit the use of "bonhomme" to once per post.    :D
Jim Stoveken

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 06:17:03 AM »

I think forum rules limit the use of "bonhomme" to once per post.    :D

I don't know.  I think the rule should be that all posters exhibit that quality.

"What the world needs now, is [bonhomie]."   :)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Daniel Paul Cotts

• T2
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 08:58:52 PM »

Luke Field Inventory item #54 Waterproof zipper bag. It contained food items - listed on inventory. If it was included on the second flight, it certainly would be worth taking to a campsite. Even the empty bag could hold water or be used to transport foraged food.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Documents/Luke_Field.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org