Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Reading 'AE's Shoes' - Is Anybody Else Creeped Out By This Whole Thing?  (Read 24703 times)

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1

I just finished reading "Amelia Earhart's Shoes".  It was a fascinating read, and my original plan was to immediately start reading "Finding Amelia".  But I found I got so creeped out by the whole subject that I was having nightmares, unable to sleep at night, etc.  I find myself feeling alternately horrified and very sad about what happened.  As fascinating as I find the subject, I think I'm going to hold off reading "Finding Amelia" until the nightmares have gone away and I can sleep at night.  It's simply been too disturbing.

I was just wondering if anybody else had this reaction to the books?

For those of you who work for TIGHAR, do you ever feel you need a break from it all?  Do the emotions just get to be too much that you just can't take it anymore--at least for a while?  Or does the familiarity make you more desensitized?

Ashley Such

• T3
Re: Reading 'AE's Shoes' - Is Anybody Else Creeped Out By This Whole Thing?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 10:55:42 PM »

I've never read "Finding Amelia", but I have read a little bit of "Amelia Earhart's Shoes". I'm not really creeped out by it, but it is sad to think that this may have been her fate. Also, within the recent documentary that showed on Discovery, the crab part was kind of eerie. Those crabs are something (especially the Coconut ones)!

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of nightmares do you have? (Odd question, I know)

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 11:11:41 PM »

No specific plots, I just wake up at night and find myself thinking about Amelia being all alone and abandoned on a deserted island, and how desperate her situation must have been.  I also find myself thinking of the crabs and the bones.  Yikes!

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 11:27:24 PM »

I can see how that could be frightening; putting yourself in Amelia's shoes and imagining what she must've gone through.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 05:07:41 AM »

Nancy,

i often have dreams about TIGHAR and the AE work.  A lot of its to do with the brain filing away information.

Go ahead and read Finding Amelia, its a different kind of story/book.

If the subject does 'cree' you out then I DON'T recommend reading 13 bones by Dr King even though it is an excellent novel.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 07:05:07 AM »

... I was just wondering if anybody else had this reaction to the books?

For those of you who work for TIGHAR, do you ever feel you need a break from it all?  Do the emotions just get to be too much that you just can't take it anymore--at least for a while?  Or does the familiarity make you more desensitized?

I guess I "work for TIGHAR," sort of (as an unpaid but not unrewarded volunteer).

I don't remember having any nightmares about Amelia and Fred dying on Niku.  I have gotten wound up about other things, none of which reflect well on the quality of my character.    :(
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 12:22:47 PM »

If the subject does 'cree' you out then I DON'T recommend reading 13 bones by Dr King even though it is an excellent novel.

Especially the prologue; that would definitely creep someone out.

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 02:03:21 PM »

The funny thing is that I've read books about the Holocaust (I'm Jewish) and none of them have creeped me out as much as reading about AE and FN. 

Bob Rainville

• T1
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 05:50:47 PM »

Nancy,
I can see that you are a deeply compassionate caring person and Amelia's fate grieves you deeply.
To die all a lone was a horribly tragic thing and I can see why that would disturb you so.  Fred
probably preceded her in passing so she was indeed all a lone.
Please take great comfort and solace in believing with me that a loving merciful God took Amelia on home
in a painless merciful manner. She just fell asleep one night, so very tired, hungry and thirsty and awoke
in His loving arms ...

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »

Thanks, Bob.  I find your words very comforting.  I keep telling myself that because of her courage, she's become immortalized and inspired many people.  She certainly inspired me (I'm a lady with a private pilot's license).  One thing I kept trying to tell myself when I was learning to fly is that "a life lived in fear isn't worth living".  I forget who it was who said that. 

In any case, I like to think that AE is up there smiling down at us and happy about the legacy she left.

Rhonda Wessel

• T1
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 06:24:17 PM »

I have been haunted by this real-life "mystery" since I was assigned a book report on AE in 4th grade. Have always hoped we would know during my lifetime what really happened to her and FN. It always tugs at me every time I hear her name. Fascinated by the information and discoveries on Niku. She was a true pioneer. Thanks, Bob, for your comments. Wish there would be a note from her found among artifacts with her thoughts those last days. 

Shannon Council

• TIGHAR member
  • Member #3294R
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 11:37:24 PM »

It could have ended a whole lot worse for Amelia; imagine if she had been rescued off of Gardner and had to live the rest of her life in New Jersey.
I drank the TIGHAR Cool-Aid.

Thom Boughton

• T2
  • Infinite Rider on The Big Dogma
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 12:18:13 AM »

Not really anything to do with nightmares...more in reference to state of mind....

I finally broke down and saw the 'Amelia' movie over the holidays.  Wow...what a fiasco.  However, I must wonder about one item in particular.  There is a scene somewhere about midway through in which Amelia tells a childhood Gore Vidal that she had a general fear of jungles.  Does anyone know of there is any truth to this? 

One can only imagine the state of mind of someone who is 'jungle-phobic' suddenly finding themselves stranded on an island such Niku (especially one such as Niku).  Nothing but jungle ...and filled with all manner of unfriendly creepy crawlies to boot.

....TB
TIGHAR #3159R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »

There is a scene somewhere about midway through in which Amelia tells a childhood Gore Vidal that she had a general fear of jungles.  Does anyone know of there is any truth to this? 

I do recall reading that AE was concerned about the long legs over jungled areas because of the lack of anywhere to land and unlikelihood of being found. I would have the same concerns.
I think that dying as a castaway on Niku would be more unpleasant than any of us can imagine but it has never given me nightmares. Fundraising, on the other hand, .......

Cynthia M Kennedy

• T1
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 03:17:07 PM »

I hardly slept for two nights after I read Betty's Notebook on the TIGHAR site and the discussion of the notebook in Finding Amelia.

Cindy

I can see how that could be frightening; putting yourself in Amelia's shoes and imagining what she must've gone through.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org