Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sorry about this  (Read 3908 times)

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
sorry about this
« on: January 05, 2024, 01:03:25 PM »

First I want to apologize for being the latest crazy person to think he has seen something in google maps but I was looking at Nikumaroro in google maps and saw something odd near the Norwich City wreck, likely it is just a random piece of junk but I would be interested in what others see.  I have attached a larger view which includes the Norwich City and then a zoomed view of the object.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: sorry about this
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 08:45:10 AM »

No apologies necessary.  The sea giveth and the sea taketh away.  Always worth checking.

The object you point out is not a new arrival. It has been in that position since at least 2012.  I think it's the thing in the foreground of the photo below taken in 2001.

We've walked past it many times.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 11:52:41 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 11:06:44 AM »

I keep hoping the wheel reappears when someone is there to see it, and hopefully recover it.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 11:58:50 AM »

I keep hoping the wheel reappears when someone is there to see it, and hopefully recover it.

It's an ironic situation.  Google Earth gives us excellent satellite-view updates every few years, but if something interesting were to show up it would take hundreds of thousands of dollars to check it out.

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 03:24:08 PM »

Ric, if I were a billionaire, I'd get you there to check it out.  I'd also have rented the deep submersibles.  Alas...........
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org