Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hypothesis Discussion  (Read 2848 times)

Jon Romig

• TIGHAR member
New Hypothesis Discussion
« on: September 14, 2023, 06:49:13 PM »

Got my TIGHAR Tracks today. My thanks to all the dedicated people who are working hard and courageously on this project!

1. I like the hypothesis that the White Bird may have tried to land on the longest stretch of open water, extending from the Northeast lobe of the pond West Southwest towards the main pond area containing the island.

Q: can we estimate the expected length of open water required by the White Bird for landing?
Q: How does that compare to the available tracks on Gull Pond?

2. I want to reiterate my previous contention that the removal of the wingtip floats likely made a controlled landing impossible (and if the pilot suspected, may very well have induced him to land as near to straight upwind as possible). Thisp may well have resulted in a crash long before the plane reached the shallows between the Northeast lobe and the main pond. Because of that, I suggest we consider doing a magnetic scan of the Northeast lobe as part of the 2024 expedition.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon Romig 3562R

Jon Romig

• TIGHAR member
Re: New Hypothesis Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 07:02:37 PM »

Regarding the 1948 photos of the “linear object”:
18’ of movement in one minute seems like a lot! That is 2/10 MPH. It would have crossed the pond entirely in short order. Is that a reasonable speed for flotsam in still water, moved only by wind? And is it reasonable that the photos actually capture images of it on the perfect day and hour when it is in motion? It seems very unlikely.

Cheers,
Jon
Jon Romig 3562R

« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 07:06:48 PM by Jon Romig »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org