Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 289525 times)

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »

Code: [Select]
[quote][/quote]Everyone has something to contribute here, so feel free!!!

Thanks, Tom!
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Peter F Kearney

• T1
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2012, 06:38:09 AM »

Hi name is Peter, from Ireland/UK now married and living in Tokyo. Aviation fan, more PC flight simulators than I can count. Very interested in EA. Speciality is photography (B&W) and image editing. In love with this sight.
Peter
TIGHAR No. 4303R

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »

Hi name is Peter, from Ireland/UK now married and living in Tokyo. Aviation fan, more PC flight simulators than I can count. Very interested in EA. Speciality is photography (B&W) and image editing. In love with this sight.

Welcome aboard Peter,

Since you are into image editing, let me give you a little project to work on.  What do you make of this image?
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Peter F Kearney

• T1
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »

Thanks for the welcome. Before going any further, I would like to state that  I am a believer in that EA did land on the island and I like others I am waiting for the definitive proof to unveil itself.

Unfortunately I am not involved in Forensic imaging like Jeff Glickman is, nor do I have access to the techniques and equipment that Photek have. I was involved in imaging for print, which takes in historical images that need repair or rebuilding.

I have played with this image many times, and have to say that I am not 100% sold on this being the landing gear. While I can see what could be a fender cross member, and what could possible be called the worm gear. I don't see the tyre. At least not an inflated one and this would be the one component that would be required to keep this object upright in this orientation. If the tyre was burst the only way I could see this being the landing gear was if it was still attached to a hefty piece of the Electra, like parts of the engine mounting and an air filled part of the wing floating or lodged just below the surface. There does appear to be a shadow of something long extending to the left of the image just under the water. That being the case, a bulky object of that size should have been visible to any search aircraft flying over it. It was not seen. So could it have been attached to the rest of the plane and suddenly broke free due to wave motion and turbulence on the reef face? Could the remaining air in the wing fuel tanks have given the object enough buoyancy to break the surface , before once again sinking out of sight. Don't know.

It is an interesting object. Worthy of more research, but I just don't see it yet as the smoking gun. I hope it does show up in the video tonight. The landing gear is not made of aluminum and should remain fairly intact. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Peter
TIGHAR No. 4303R

James Evan Snidow

• T1
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »

Hi.  New Member.   My name is Jim Snidow.   I grew up fascinated by Aviation.   I lived close to John Wayne Airport and remember the Museum of the Air (Paul Mantz and Frank Tallman) fondly as a kid.   With a deep interest in WWII aviation, visiting places like the NASM, Chino Hills, and peering into the lines of planes of Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson over the years have made me interested in the archeology of the crashes and over the past few years, amazed at what Pat Macha has done with finding wrecks in Southern California as well as others who have found the bits and pieces if to find a reason of what went wrong.   I read about a few families who've had small mementos returned and those bits of what some might call debris ( I'm thinking of a stewardess's wings being returned) this was something they earned and treasured.   I've always wondered what happened to AE and FN largely thanks to "In Search of" and ole Mr. Spock himself- Leonard Nimoy.   I've read a few books and tried to think hmm what really happened.   After getting hooked and reading the forum-  I think it's more than likely Tighar is right and to see so many who think Tighar is off base, I wonder how long have they been working this puzzle.   I've dragged family and friends to many air museums over the years, great one nearby in Santa Rosa (I've moved to Northern California now) and recently I took a ride in a 1926 Travel Air biplane at a local airport day and it was 15 mins of wind in my face that I will never forget, a feeling of riding the wind on a kite-  breathtaking.    After riding jets and I think other than prop commuter planes, the smallest plane I'd flown in was  a Norman Tri-Islander and that was kind of crazy as a kid, but a Bi-plane as an adult only has made me want to fly more.   
 I've just re-read AE: What really happened at howland and I think it even mentions why landing in the Phoenix islands would make sense.    Now what still gets me as a kid in 1985 when KAL 007 was shot down- the "conspiracy theory" is that KAL was spying.   I read two books about KAL 007 and it seems that maybe they did "accidental overflights" as no one would shoot down a peaceful commercial airliner right.   isn't this the same idea of why if Amelia did say overfly Truk-  why would she want to fly back toward Japanese held islands?  Because no one would shoot a legendary female aviator.      If I read this book about "what really happened"  is it possible because of dead batteries (accident) maybe Amelia missed Howland and went for Nikumauroro or the nearest piece of land.     going to watch the show tonight.  very excited.  To everyone at TIGHAR...thank you for your hard work and phooey to those who can't imagine.     I do a weekly radio show in Ukiah, California doing Reggae music (in which Im pretty sure that there are no songs about AE- however- It did get me interested maybe someone did a song about her in Calypso...hmmm my musical search begins)  One song in Reggae that seems appropriate for the search for what happened to AE & FN- Johnny Nash's "More Questions than Answers"-  I am hoping our answer is coming soon.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:46:54 PM by James Evan Snidow »

Laura Gridley

• T1
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2012, 01:19:33 AM »

Hi!  I'm a new member but have been following the AE research on TIGHAR for years now.  Don't think I have any relevant skills for the search unfortunately (I work in the medical field) other than being intensely interested in it and loving research.

Edward Robert Jastrem

• T1
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »

Hello everyone. Happy to be invited to this forum. I am pleasantly retired and living in the Tampa Bay area.
I've always been a history nut and find the Earhart disappearance fascinating. It's nice to see people here are a lot more knowledgeable of this subject than myself.  I will listen for awhile until I get my facts up to date and post a comment now and then.

Thanks, Ed 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:04:08 PM by Edward Robert Jastrem »

Nathan Lapointe

• T1
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2012, 11:37:36 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to chime in and say how fascinating it is to be following TIGHAR's work.  I find mysteries like the Earhart disappearance fascinating.  I also find it incredible how close she came, after Howland it was Hawaii, fame and glory and retirement.  It's such a tragic story.  I am an accountant with a local charity, so I don't have much to add to the science other then my uneducated opinions.  I do appreciate how difficult it is to run a non-profit organization, I wish I were able to contribute to TIGHAR's activities with cash.  My first goal is to buy Tom King's book, Thirteen Bones. 

I've read pretty much every single document on the TIGHAR web site and Ameliapedia and most of what is on the forums (bravo for making so much information public, not many other organizations would do the same).  While the hypothesis has not been proven, I certainly think the available evidence adds up to a convincing argument in favour of the hypothesis.  I remember the scientific method very clearly from school and I congratulate TIGHAR for following it so rigorously.  It's a shame that the media and so many others don't understand the scientific method and how hypotheses are proven.  TIGHAR has done amazing work on what seems like a show string budget!

In my reading I sometimes feel that some strong evidence has been diminished in favour of others.  The plexi-glass, for instance, seems to be a very strong piece of evidence that supports the evidence but it seems like more attention has been paid to the piece of ALCLAD.

I look forward to continuing to follow TIGHAR's work!  The video from Niku VII was incredible to watch and I hope more will be released.  TIGHAR's work on the Niku hypothesis should be used as a textbook example of the scientific method, whether or not the hypothesis is actually proven or not.

LTM (I hope I don't have to be a member to use this.  :P )
Nathan.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2012, 11:44:07 PM »

I hope I don't have to be a member to use this.  :P

In this incarnation of the Forum, at the present time, you do not have to pay dues in order to participate.

Welcome!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Nathan Lapointe

• T1
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2012, 12:14:08 AM »

Thanks Marty - I was specifically referring to the "LTM" but anyways.

I hope I can add something to the discussion and I do hope circumstances allow me to contribute in the future.  Many small donations can add up quickly and TIGHAR needs all the $$$ we can give to launch Niku VIII and get that smoking gun!

Nathan.

Owen

• T1
« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2012, 09:58:16 PM »

Hi everyone. Great to be here. My name is Owen and I am a 31-year old who currently lives in Sydney, Australia (although I grew up in Southeast Asia)

My interest in Amelia Earhart began about 20 years ago, when I was 9 years old and attending a British school in Southeast Asia. My teacher devoted a whole term to us studying the topic of aviation and each of us were required to examine a particular aspect of aviation and to do an in-depth school project on our chosen topic. I chose to do my school project on aviation and it was here that I was first introduced to Amelia Earhart. Even then, as a nine-year old, the fact that she had disappeared and no one knew what had happened to her fascinated me. I retained a passing interest in the subject and thought about it from time to time as I was growing up and kept an eye on new developments in the hope that some new insights into the mystery would become available. I remember watching "Unsolved Mysteries" in syndication about Amelia Earhart and her being captured by the Japanese and being very skeptical -which is still true to this day

I think I first heard of TIGHAR's theory about Amelia Earhart when I was still quite young -I think I remember reading in a World Book encyclopaedia Year Book from around 1989-1992 (can't recall the exact year) about what the new theory about her was. Maybe I'm getting confused. But I've loosely followed the latest announcements and theories from TIGHAR over the last decade or so and have watched one or two documentaries about what you all have been up to. I had no real opinion one way or the other about the credibility of the theory that you were putting forward until I read Ric Gillespie's excellent book

My overall assessment of TIGHAR's hypothesis is that it is very compelling and that TIGHAR has put forward a number of compelling arguments and pieces of evidence to convince me that there is a strong distinct possibility -maybe even probability- of it having happened. The evidence that has been found and some of the anecdotal testimonies of events from that time definitely raises some very legitimate

Unfortunately I have no technical skills I can contribute and financial circumstances are tight but I have nevertheless made a donation to TIGHAR because of my profound admiration and respect for Amelia Earhart and my empathy and sympathy for both her and Fred Noonan whatever they went through at the end. And also because I greatly admire TIGHAR's efforts and believe that they have shown that they deserve the resources to follow through on their hypothesis, whether it is proven or disproved. To that end, I wish you all the best of luck and I look forward to posting and reading here

Andrew Rosner

• T1
« Reply #146 on: September 05, 2012, 10:45:13 PM »

Hello all.... I'm Andy Rosner; 60 years old this month (OMG!) living in Santa Ana, CA.  No background in aviation, but a deep appreciation of design; whether we're talking about aircraft, musical instruments, buildings, furniture, etc., etc.  Visited the Hercules (you're not supposed to call it Spruce Goose) many times when it was in Long Beach. 

By trade, I'm a product manager in consumer electronics; and have been part of the teams which have developed products like laserdisc, projection TV's, and on and on.

I recall being aware of Amelia at a young age and (since I'm a sucker for a history and biographies), was always keenly interested in new information.  Naturally, I read "The Search for Amelia Earhart" when it came out, and since learning of TIGHAR, have been glued to the seat at my PC, reading every update, etc.  Let me just say this to Ric and the rest of the team: THIS IS KILLING ME!  I CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE!   (OK, OK; a donation is coming)!  Of course, what I (and allot of other people) will do after we all know for sure is a big question!   
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:44:03 AM by Andrew Rosner »

Jimmie Tyler

• T1
« Reply #147 on: October 08, 2012, 03:46:23 PM »

Hello all, My name is Jimmie Tyler. I am fixing to turn 32 years old, and I live in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. I have spent countless hours on TIGHAR's web sight researching all of the information TIGHAR has supplied for the public. It is absolutely one of my favorite things to do over the last year, or so. I have just recently donated to the Earhart project, for the first time, and I plan on doing so as much as I can in the future. The main reason why I joined the forum, was to learn more. There is so much information on this fantastic forum. My wife, jokingly says that, Amelia is my girlfriend!! I want to contribute as much as I can to the cause. Rather it be financially, or performing my own research, that may help to answer key questions. It's a small world, and the possibilities are unlimited by exploring different avenues, and using resources around you, to help answer and solve problems. I thank all of you for your hard work and dedication on this mystery. You all have brought me so much joy in reading about Amelia Earhart.. Thanks a million!!!!! Jim...
Jim, TIGHAR #4064

Dave Potratz

• T2
« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2012, 01:18:54 PM »

...more PC flight simulators than I can count.

Hey, Peter, welcome from another PC Flight Sim enthusiast!

Couple Qs for you, if you don't mind: 

- What's your favorite Sim?  (Mine MSFSX).

- Have you simmed the AE Lae/Howland flight yet?  My DR attempt in a sim Lockheed Electra (with admittedly UN-scientific flight parameters) brought me just North of Baker Island in approx 18 hrs.    I then "flew" DR  "on the Line" 157 from South of Baker toward Gardner/Niku position for a simulated three hours, but failed to see Gardner/Niku.  I then made a wide turn left (my offset) back North.  Within about five-ten minutes...THERE was Gardner!!  I was mildly shocked!

FUN!

(O.K., now all of the many most-respected REAL pilots here may roll their eyes)  ::)

LTM,
dp

Kristina Sackett RN

• T1
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2012, 12:46:55 PM »

Hi, I am new to the forum, will make my membership payment on pay day in a few days.
I was asked in March to speak about Amelia Earhart and other lost explorer's. That grew into a potential book about mysteries, but Amelia fascinated me, she has for years. The support I got during my research from Ric, the Website and Pat was overwhelming. So I am taking the crazy plunge and signing up for field school as soon as I sell either my son or husband. So if anyone need a 20 year old 6' 3" ogre to eat you out of house and home let me know!
Kristina Sackett
(yes before you  can ask the Louis L'amour novels:)
Oh and I' m also a Civil War re-enactor with the 20th Maine Out here in Oregon.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org