Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Do we have an exploration map of Nikumaroro?  (Read 16200 times)

Scott C. Mitchell

• TIGHAR member
Do we have an exploration map of Nikumaroro?
« on: March 07, 2021, 06:22:58 PM »

Do we have a comprehensive exploration map of Nikumaroro?  By that, I mean a detailed map showing all the exploration initiatives and discoveries by TIGHAR and others in pursuit of the AE / FN mystery. The website is populated by numerous charts for specific topics -- like X marks the spot where aircraft wreckage was seen offshore, and where a candidate for a Lockheed tire was once spotted, etc.  But it would be informative to put it all together in a single map, including, say, where we tracked Robert Ballard's offshore survey, and the location of the artifacts unearthed so far.  What brought this to mind was Andrew McKenna's observation, in light of the calls for a survey of the area of the "Taraia object",  that we had already done a search with metal detectors on the beach. This sort of detail may be part of the current institutional memory of the TIGHAR veterans, especially the expedition participants.  But unless it is all gathered in one place, a new generation of searchers will be retracing old steps without knowing it.   So the map would not just be the macro landmarks -- here's the shipwreck, here is Camp Seven -- but down to the micro level of what kind of exploration was done where and when, and the results, like the work Andrew and his colleagues did at the Taraia site.  I actually considered reconstructing such a map from the posts on this website and the expedition reports, but the enormity of that task soon swamped that ambition.  Just a thought. / Scott  #3292R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Do we have an exploration map of Nikumaroro?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 07:51:38 AM »

What you're talking about is a GIS (Geographic Information System) map of the whole island.  It would be good to have but we don't have the data to do it.  I could outline general areas that have been searched and list the various artifacts collected in these areas but the only area, aside from the village, where we've found anything that appears to be related to Earhart is the Seven Site.  That's the only site where we have "shot in" each feature and artifact with azimuth and distance from a known datum. We're Mac-based and most GIS software is not compatible with Macs, so I created a home-grown GIS of the Seven Site in Adobe Illustrator. It works well and I can pin-point where each of the hundreds of artifacts was found down to a few centimeters, but it's not something we can send around as an interactive file.
We've found a few things in the village that appear to be from the aircraft but, because anything found in the village was - by definition - moved there from somewhere else, the locations were not shot it in.
The only place on the island that arguably might be expected to produce more artifacts related to Earhart is the Seven Site.  The area that was cleared and surveyed by TIGHAR in 2001, expanded in 2007, and expanded further in 2010, turned up some significant features and artifacts. The same area was examined again by the Betchart people without result in 2015 and 2017, and yet again by the Nat Geo people without result in 2019.  Further work at the Seven Site would involve expanding the area beyond the boundaries of what has already been searched. That would mean determining the boundaries of the previously searched area (now completely grown back to nearly impenetrable scaevola) and clearing some undefined additional area (how do you know when you've gone far enough?). It would be a monumental- and monumentally expensive - task with little chance of finding anything more conclusive than what we've already found.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 07:53:45 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Daniel R. Brown

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 10:15:02 AM »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 01:14:43 PM »

Our methodology has been essentially Bayesian without being consciously so.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 10:14:40 PM »

Ric, I think what would be really neat for many new Tighar's and some of us old Tighars...is an overlay map of Nikumarro. I don't know if any of you remember many old text book science books and map books...But, had the clear plastic with certain maps during a certain time period. What was really neat about those was you could take a certain time period and pin point it on the map...take the next page and do the same for a new feature say 20 to 30 years later. In our case...take the island from the time of the Norwich City, to the islanders, the the Bevington Object, and current expeditions...and its almost like doing the same with Bob Ballards search patterns. I think what would be really neat is a 3 dimensional map of Niku. Anyway, food for thought! Anyway, the past expeditions the drone, the helicopter, and the many underwater ROV videos, and island videos are truly remarkable. It puts you right there, but like Scott mentioned sometimes it hard to figure out where you really are on the island. Also, I have one question about metal detecting...does coral interfere with metal detecting either on the island or on the reef? Just curious

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 07:02:54 AM »

Also, I have one question about metal detecting...does coral interfere with metal detecting either on the island or on the reef? Just curious

No.

John Klier

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 02:25:21 PM »

If you ever need GIS services for this or anything else I be happy to volunteer if you don't have someone already. I've been working with remote sensing and GIS projects for a long time and have a PhD in the field. I've got access to ArGIS and all of the extensions plus numerous remote sensing packages.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 03:06:09 PM »

Thanks John.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 07:33:23 PM »

Thanks John.

I suggest we let John and Jim Thompson go to town with what we have.

Like pizza, a GIS doesn't have to be perfect to be good.  Broad strokes can tell the story, just as caricatures can draw out the essential features of a person's face.

A GIS designed for construction engineers in a modern city is a different kettle of fish, of course.  Millimeters count when you are digging near other people's power lines and plumbing.  The story of TIGHAR on Niku can probably be told with an error bar of a couple of yards, especially as the light fades and the liquid refreshments work their magic.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 06:47:53 AM »

I presume that what you have in mind is a GIS that could be put on the TIGHAR website for everyone to use without buying special software.  Can anyone provide a link to such a GIS?  Let's look at some examples.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 03:56:17 PM »

I presume that what you have in mind is a GIS that could be put on the TIGHAR website for everyone to use without buying special software.  Can anyone provide a link to such a GIS?  Let's look at some examples.

Google Earth and Google Maps are GIS-based systems.

"1000 GIS Applications & Uses – How GIS Is Changing the World"

34. Mapping Mars with MOLA – Start mapping a whole entire new planet using NASA’s MOLA. (USGS Planetary GIS Web Server – PIGWAD)

35. Mars Terrain – Going for a spin on the rugged terrain of Mars using data captured by the Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter (MOLA) instrument on the Mars Global Surveyor (MGS). (Mars Terrain)

36. Mars Rover Landing – Examining how to landing the Mars Rover safely with operations criteria including latitude for solar power, soil softness, slopes using laser altimetry, dustiness, rockiness, and a landing footprint.

37. Water Flow on Mars – Hillshading the Mars Digital Elevation Model to augment legibility and understand where rivers may have flowed and oceans flourished. (Mars Water Flow)

38. Satellite Orbits – Gazing the sky for satellites and even programming satellites for image acquisition. (Satellite Map)

39. Magnetic Fields – Investigating magnetic field lines in 3D with international geomagnetic field maps.

40. Astrogeology – Delivering planetary mapping to the international science community in public domain – from planetary topology to lunar geology.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 08:41:36 AM »

Yes, Google Earth and Google Maps are GIS-based systems. TIGHAR is not Google.  There is no question John and/or Jim could create a GIS of Niku with data I could provide but we're talking about hundreds of man-hours on both ends. What would we then do with it?  I can't find a way we could simply put it up on the website for people to use like Google Earth.  We could make it available as a download via Dropbox (it would be a huge file), but the user would have to have software such as ARCGIS to use it.  How many people would do that?
Having a GIS of everything we've done at Nikumaroro would be good to have.  No argument there.  But it doesn't look like the route to what Scott is looking for.  I could create a large scale zoomable map of the island color-coded to indicate which areas have been archaeologically excavated; intensely surface metal detected; lightly metal detected; visually examined; or never visited. Offshore area could be divided into intensely searched with sonar and ROV: searched with sonar only; searched with ROV only; intensely searched with divers; lightly searched with divers; or never searched. It would still be a big project but doable in a way that could be put up on the TIGHAR website and usable by anyone.
We wouldn't be able to show Ballard's work until he releases his data, which he has been in no hurry to do.

Scott C. Mitchell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 01:36:56 PM »

I was not even familiar with the concept of a Geographic Information System (GIS).  Thanks, Ric! 

The idea of mapping Niku with exploration efforts and results would have four goals:

1.  Preserve institutional memory of past exploration efforts
2.  Systemize exploration efforts by geography
3.  Provide context.
4.  Encourage recollection of specific exploration efforts. 

As stated in the first post, this idea was inspired by Andrew McKenna’s post on the Taraia object.  In response to the suggestion that the beach ought to be explored in the future for Electra remnants, Andrew reminded us that he was a part of a group that had already explored that very area with metal detectors.  Unless exploration efforts are catalogued, this institutional memory will begin to fade, and certainly not be available to those who were not direct participants.

As another example, the forum has posted the NIKU VIII Preliminary Report.  There are references to checking a reef with underwater metal detectors, a search for Camp Zero, and trying to photograph an underwater anomaly with the ROV.  All these are exciting projects with potential significant discoveries.  Even negative results can be significant.  A map describing these efforts would preserve the memory and specifics for all time -- all the more reason to have some kind of central organizing scheme to catalog the data.  That scheme could be chronological, like a dateline.  Or it could be based on the nature of the work – by underwater exploration, or, metal-detecting, or by excavatios.   Or it could be geographical.  The map idea favors geographical.  This is probably based on the assumption that discoveries may be found in clusters, and geographical presentation is easy to understand and visualize.

Context can be discerned through geography.  If most of the artifacts are found in a specific location, what are the implications? 

Finally, an effort to plot exploration by geography might encourage more detailed recollections of what exactly was done on a particular site.

All this is not to say that TIGHAR does not already provide a bounty of information on its work.  I can’t wait to get my hands on each issue of TIGHAR Tracks.  And I am sure that detailed records of each expedition are maintained at HQ.  The thought is that providing an exploration (or GIS) map would give us all a detailed full-glance appreciation of what has been done before.

The idea of GIS format and the overlay approach suggested above by Randy would be helpful organizing principles.  Another idea would be to grid the island, and then have a resource that ties markers shown on the map to detailed descriptions in a catalog.  (Such as   “Marker #1: At this site during NIKU VIII, at attempt was made to lower a camera in 60 feet of water in an attempt to locate an anomaly perceived during the 2012 expedition.  Results: anomaly could not be located.”)

Maybe there is a way to organize this project so that volunteers could go through our archives, or the forum, or other places where we have accumulated geographical information, and post them on the map grid accordingly. / Scott #3292R
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 06:50:43 PM by Scott C. Mitchell »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 08:54:33 AM »

1.  Preserve institutional memory of past exploration efforts

I should explain how we preserve institutional memory.  On every TIGHAR expedition, team members are required to complete a Field Notes form at the end of each day's work - where you went, what you did, what you saw, who you were with, who you found (if anything), etc.  After the expedition, the original handwritten field notes, with often include sketches and hand-drawn maps, are archived and a digital summary of each team member's notes for each day is entered in a searchable database. For example, this is the summary for team member Veryl Fenlason's notes for one day on the first expedition:
{Niku I Sept. 23, 1989} Veryl Fenlason:  Island: Jessica Krakow, Bill Decker and myself with metal detectors started 60 yds. NNE of the flag mast at southernmost part of Gardner Island's E side proceeding along the beach from 2/3 the water line to line of scaevola as per diagram- covering a distance of approximately 1 kilometer. The island beach changes direction slightly with a tree nearly at water edge. We were finding lots of bottles, florescent lights, sandals, fisherman's floats. [drawing in original notes].

The database for Niku I is 123 pages long.
Team members who also kept personal journals turned in copies to be archived.
All photos taken during an expedition are collected at the end of each days work and cataloged by person and day.  Of course, for the early expeditions we collected the film to be developed and catalogued later.

Bottom line:  There is a tremendous amount of documentation for each day of every expedition. 

John Klier

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 10:28:38 AM »

There are numerous ways to make GIS data available to view that don't require the viewer to purchase GIS software.  Exporting the data to view is the easy part. The time consuming part is assembling the data and symbolizing it in meaningful ways that tells the story of the data. This is where an experienced GIS person is most valuable.  When you have multiple layers of points, lines and polygons all with their own attribute data (such as field notes) it can be a confusing mess if not done properly.

Yes, Google Earth and Google Maps are GIS-based systems. TIGHAR is not Google.  There is no question John and/or Jim could create a GIS of Niku with data I could provide but we're talking about hundreds of man-hours on both ends. What would we then do with it?  I can't find a way we could simply put it up on the website for people to use like Google Earth.  We could make it available as a download via Dropbox (it would be a huge file), but the user would have to have software such as ARCGIS to use it.  How many people would do that?
Having a GIS of everything we've done at Nikumaroro would be good to have.  No argument there.  But it doesn't look like the route to what Scott is looking for.  I could create a large scale zoomable map of the island color-coded to indicate which areas have been archaeologically excavated; intensely surface metal detected; lightly metal detected; visually examined; or never visited. Offshore area could be divided into intensely searched with sonar and ROV: searched with sonar only; searched with ROV only; intensely searched with divers; lightly searched with divers; or never searched. It would still be a big project but doable in a way that could be put up on the TIGHAR website and usable by anyone.
We wouldn't be able to show Ballard's work until he releases his data, which he has been in no hurry to do.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org