Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Island Survival  (Read 4002 times)

Christian Stock

• TIGHAR member
Island Survival
« on: February 10, 2021, 07:47:41 AM »

While the Caribbean in January is much nicer than Gardner in July, I think it’s interesting that these 3 people, who swam ashore with little gear and probably no survival training, survived for 33 days on coconuts.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/deserted-island-rescue-coconuts-33-days/index.html

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Island Survival
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 09:59:39 AM »

Couple questions that would make a big difference:
They were Cubans. Lots of coconuts in Cuba.  How familiar were these guys with coconuts, which ones to get, and how to open them?
It is possible open a coconut without a tool, but you really need to know what you're doing. ( I can't do it.)

John Klier

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 02:14:55 PM »

Wait... I thought you could make pies and all kinds of yummy things with just coconuts. That's not true? Ginger and Mary Ann wouldn't have tricked me like that. ;D

Ross Devitt

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 08:41:43 AM »

It is possible open a coconut without a tool, but you really need to know what you're doing. ( I can't do it.)

You can Ric,  You just need to think about it.  You need a green nut to make it easier, and a rock (or a hard place).  It doesn't take a lot of thought to get the outside green bit cracked in a few places so the fibres inside are visible.
Once you do that, you can easily peel the green off with your fingers.  It is time consuming at first, but after a few nuts you barely think about it.
If you only want a drink, you bash around the end where the stem used to be, and strip as much as possible from there to expose the 3 soft eyes.  Otherwise, continue to strip the fibres until you have the nut.
Poke the eyes in with something and drink the water, then break the nut (on a green nut it is relatively soft) and eat the white stuff.  It tastes a little weird and fizzyish and rubbery at first, but you soon get used to it.

Contrary to rumour, coconut water is unlikely to give you the runs.  I have lived on coconut exclusively for a week at a time without ill effect other than weight loss when I was doing th' wombat experiments in castaway living years ago.
You might remember I sent you timed shots of opening a heap of coconuts and getting the juice, using only a little 2.5 inch blade Swiss Army Knife in 2015 or 2016 when I was living on a tropical island 18 miles off our coast, with no running fresh water for a couple of years.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 08:55:43 AM »

LOL, you can do anything if you know how to do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org