Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What does XRO mean?  (Read 12882 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
What does XRO mean?
« on: November 17, 2020, 01:31:46 PM »

We're trying to decipher the meaning of the letters XRO on a document that might be related to the Earhart disappearance. The letters might stand alone or be part of a longer string of letters, but I can't think of an English word that includes the letters XRO together.  Any context is a possibility, but the document probably dates from not-earlier-than 1936 and not-later-than 1945.
Any ideas?

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
Re: What does XRO mean?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 02:13:21 PM »

Does it refer to a Lockheed XRO-1 military aircraft?

historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_lockheed_XRO-1_altair.html

Karen Hoy ER 2610
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 02:15:45 PM by Karen Hoy »

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 02:29:44 PM »

What is the context, if you are at liberty to reveal it?

Karen's suggestion seems to fit in the context of long-distance flights. This from Wikipedia:

Altairs were used to carry out a number of record-breaking long-range flights. One aircraft, named Lady Southern Cross was used by Australian aviator Charles Kingsford Smith to carry out the first flight between Australia and the United States between October 20 and November 4, 1934. Kingsford Smith was killed in the early hours of November 8, 1935, flying Lady Southern Cross during an attempt on the record for flying between England and Australia.

Interestingly, the Japanese had two of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Altair

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 03:04:13 PM »

Does it refer to a Lockheed XRO-1 military aircraft?

Good thought, but it wouldn't make sense in this case.  Lockheed also built a Model 10 for the Navy - XR2O-1  and one for the Coast Guard - XR3O-1.
The XR2O-1 is c/n 1052, now at the New England Air Museum restored as a Northwest Airways airliner.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 03:05:01 PM »

What is the context, if you are at liberty to reveal it?

Sorry, not at this time.

Carshall C Carlisle III

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 03:36:54 PM »

My first thought is an acronym such as X=Transmit, R=Receive, O=only which is probably something I just made up because I’m unable to find it in any aviation or military brevity codes.  The second thought was an airport or radio station Identifier before the K and W call signs began.  Seems the Dutch have a XRO airfield. I couldn’t find a radio station with those call letters.  My last thought was a teletype/telegraph code of sorts?.  I couldn’t find anything that jumps out other than in some telegraph code, XRO means "ram".  There was such things as cipher telegrams (FWIW) not knowing the context  of where these letters might appear.

Carshall C Carlisle III

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 04:36:22 PM »

An update to my earlier thread. 
XRO were the call letters for China's first radio station (1923 AM at 50 watts on 1500khz).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_radio_stations

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 01:35:52 AM »

We're trying to decipher the meaning of the letters XRO on a document that might be related to the Earhart disappearance. The letters might stand alone or be part of a longer string of letters, but I can't think of an English word that includes the letters XRO together.  Any context is a possibility, but the document probably dates from not-earlier-than 1936 and not-later-than 1945.
Any ideas?

You might have to search for Xray Romeo Zero rather than Xray Romeo Oscar.

So, for example, XR0 (not XRO) is the code block for Easter Island.

Wes Lamboley, W8FMG "has been an active ham since 1954 and has operated from VK4, J28, KX6 and XR0."

XR0 can also mean "Exchange Rate 0": XR1 and XR0 are the exchange rates for current money in El Salvador against the US dollar from the first day of indexation and on the immediately preceding indexation date, respectively.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 02:06:57 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Christophe Blondel

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 03:36:34 AM »

My first thought is an acronym such as X=Transmit, R=Receive, O=only which is probably something I just made up because I’m unable to find it in any aviation or military brevity codes.  The second thought was an airport or radio station Identifier before the K and W call signs began.  Seems the Dutch have a XRO airfield. I couldn’t find a radio station with those call letters.  My last thought was a teletype/telegraph code of sorts?.  I couldn’t find anything that jumps out other than in some telegraph code, XRO means "ram".  There was such things as cipher telegrams (FWIW) not knowing the context  of where these letters might appear.
To concur with the first suggestion, here is a list of acronyms and abbreviations that identifies XRO as meaning "X-band receive only": https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/0471728497.acron
Best regards
Christophe

Christian Stock

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 07:40:20 AM »

Transmit/Receive Only, on the same freq, as opposed to TO or RO?

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 10:33:21 AM »

I'll throw this idea out:

Could XRO or XR0 be a (partial) call sign for a ship -- civilian or military someplace in the pacific in July, 1937? 

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 12:00:52 PM by Bill Mangus »

Christian Stock

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 11:40:17 AM »

x-band receive only

Does this have to do with harmonics?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 01:25:39 PM »

Could XRO or XR0 be a (partial) call sign for a ship -- civilian or military someplace in the pacific in July, 1937?

Good thought.  I should be able to check that in the Berne List of ship and shore stations.

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 07:48:45 PM »

My first thought was that it would be an expression for something in radio or other technical context of the time.

I found a number of meanings for XRO that are too recent in origin: product names, pop culture references and computing ("exclude route object").

Found this too: https://ourairports.com/navaids/XRO/Florianopolis_VOR-DME_BR/

Don

Randy Jacobson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 05:01:34 PM »

The possibility of a radio call sign jogged my memory, that perhaps it was an amateur station, often referred to as the final 3 digits (the first two being K5, K6, W5,W6 in the US).  I found a 1938 directory of amateur stations on the Internet, which is very useful.  The link is:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjW8v2Qo8vrAhVIu1kKHQupBvEQFjADegQIAxAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hallikainen.org%2Forg%2Fkeh%2Fpdf%2FSpring_1938_Radio_Amateur_Callbook_District_6.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0lTK1W_M4wJZ7S24bN2PeO

What is shows is that for at least the US in that time period, no amateur station had an X as the third digit.
At least we can rule that line of investigation out. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org