Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding new features to the Forum?  (Read 6376 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Adding new features to the Forum?
« on: December 19, 2018, 06:29:32 AM »

Quote from: A TIGHAR member=topic=2045.msg42869#msg42869 date=1545187873

Hi Martin, I know little about 'Forum App Software', was just thinking that maybe the underlying "TIGHAR" forum software, probably a 'package' from a third-party developer (very few 'forums' write their own) might have some currently unused options that could be activated by the TIGHAR admins. Probably not available, or too costly.

Right.  If you look at the bottom of every page of the Forum, you will see a little notice that identifies the version of Simple Machine Forums that we are using, with links to the website the provides the software under an open-source license (SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines).  The only thing that I did to adapt it to this website was to modify a skin with the TIGHAR logo and a custom menu tailored to our website.

I have written or edited code in ASM, BASIC, Pascal (Turbo & Delphi), C, C++, javascript, and PHP.  I can fuss with HTML and CSS.  I've tried my hand at hacking the core of various and sundry open-source packages.  I had fun working on some extensions for a content-management system once upon a time.  I have some idea of what it takes to add a feature to a system, either natively or through plug-ins.  "Once burned, twice wary"--and I've burned my fingers more than once.  I'm a slow learner, but I do learn eventually. 

One of the early versions of the KISS slogan was found in the Curtis Aircraft plant in Buffalo: "Keep It Super-Simple."  Your suggestion is entirely within the realm of possibility.  It could be done.  But if it ain't broke, I'm not inclined to fix it. 

Now everything changes if the suggestion comes from the top down.  The Board owns this website, and if they want something done, I will either do it myself, if I can, or resign in favor of someone who is more competent than I am. 
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Adding new features to the Forum?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 08:30:37 AM »

We appreciate all suggestions on how we can improve the Forum but we see no need to make changes at this time.  The TIGHAR Board of Directors is deeply appreciative of Marty's expertise and dedication in maintaining this vital research tool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org