Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schooner Nimanoa  (Read 2893 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Schooner Nimanoa
« on: September 09, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »

http://www.jps.auckland.ac.nz/document/Volume_61_1952/Volume_61,_No._1_%2B_2/The_colonization_of_the_Phoenix_Islands,_by_H._E._Maude,_p_62-89/p1#

Started reading this last night and found it very interesting. I'm sure Ric that you have this in our archives...but reading it for the first time I found it very interesting. What captivated me the most was the travels from the schooner Nimanoa to Gardner Island. Section three from this article talks alot about the schooner and the number of times it took. So I'm wondering, does Tighar posess any kind of manifests or shipping documents from the Nimanoa during the time that Gallagher was on the island. From this article, it sure sounds like the man spent alot of time on here coming to and fro. If that be the case...then most likely there is some documentation in regards to shipment of the Kanawa box.

Also, here is a brief description on its history and its desmise at Tarawa Lagoon!!!

https://www.pacificwrecks.com/ships/ss/nimanoa.html

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Schooner Nimanoa
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 03:03:55 PM »

Yes, we have extensive records for Nimanoa from the Kiribati National Archives and the archives of the Western Pacific High Commission. I snorkeled on the remains of Nimanoa in Tarawa lagoon in 2001.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org