Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: NIKU IX  (Read 54827 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Re: NIKU IX
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2017, 05:03:35 AM »

In relation to the "Cairn" Stones Ric...as I was glancing at the picture, it makes you think about the overall theology or thought pattern of Amelia, if indeed she had to bury Noonan. What her physical status was like...strong or weak...could she have dug a grave or not. I myself believe that this may be the case...lay rocks around your body, and on top...but at the same time have a viking ritual per say where the grave rocks are heaved with some sort of fuel and set on fire. I myself would see her doing this. She may have been a pilot, but her overall structure was petite and very frail and in the situation she would have been in I dont see her exerting herself of all that energy to bury someone. I would check the composite structure of the rocks to see if there is the remote possibility of any soot formation on these. Anyway, this looks like a possible finding myself!

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »

National Geographic update on the forensic puppies: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/amelia-earhart-search-island-dogs/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fb20170630news-earhartisland&utm_campaign=Content&sf94322304=1

The article says:

"Two colonial doctors examined the bones. One thought they came from an elderly Polynesian; the other postulated that they belonged to a European male. TIGHAR researchers evaluated the measurements using modern techniques and determined the bones could be from a woman of Earhart’s size and build."

That doesn't ring a bell.

I think Hoodless is the only examining doctor whose remarks appear in the Bones file.  His conclusion was: " I am not prepared to give an opinion on the race or nationality of this skeleton, except to state that it is probably not that of a pure South Sea Islander--Micronesian or Polynesian. It could be that of a short, stocky, muscular European, or even a half-caste, or person of mixed European descent."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2017, 02:57:04 PM »

National Geographic update on the forensic puppies: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/amelia-earhart-search-island-dogs/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fb20170630news-earhartisland&utm_campaign=Content&sf94322304=1

The article says:

"Two colonial doctors examined the bones. One thought they came from an elderly Polynesian; the other postulated that they belonged to a European male. TIGHAR researchers evaluated the measurements using modern techniques and determined the bones could be from a woman of Earhart’s size and build."

That doesn't ring a bell.

I think Hoodless is the only examining doctor whose remarks appear in the Bones file.  His conclusion was: " I am not prepared to give an opinion on the race or nationality of this skeleton, except to state that it is probably not that of a pure South Sea Islander--Micronesian or Polynesian. It could be that of a short, stocky, muscular European, or even a half-caste, or person of mixed European descent."

The other examiner was Isaac
"Confidential
For your information remains taken from "Nimanoa" part skeleton elderly male of Polynesian race and that indications are that bones have been in sheltered position for upwards of 20 years and possibly much longer.

Isaac"

3971R

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:09:01 PM by Greg Daspit »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2017, 03:58:51 PM »

The other examiner was Isaac
"Confidential
For your information remains taken from "Nimanoa" part skeleton elderly male of Polynesian race and that indications are that bones have been in sheltered position for upwards of 20 years and possibly much longer.

Isaac"

Ah.

Thanks.

Dr. Walter Lindsay Isaac Verrier was a volunteer.

Not selected by the WPHC to make a judgment about the bones.

He seems to have been after the box.

He delayed trans-shipment from Gardner to Fiji.

He was one of the suspects whom Roger and I investigated on the Bones II expedition.

How could I forget him!   ::)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2017, 05:17:34 PM »

In relation to the "Cairn" Stones Ric...as I was glancing at the picture, it makes you think about the overall theology or thought pattern of Amelia, if indeed she had to bury Noonan. What her physical status was like...strong or weak...could she have dug a grave or not. I myself believe that this may be the case...lay rocks around your body, and on top...but at the same time have a viking ritual per say where the grave rocks are heaved with some sort of fuel and set on fire. I myself would see her doing this. She may have been a pilot, but her overall structure was petite and very frail and in the situation she would have been in I dont see her exerting herself of all that energy to bury someone. I would check the composite structure of the rocks to see if there is the remote possibility of any soot formation on these. Anyway, this looks like a possible finding myself!
While this may have been said before a cairn burial for Noonan might explain why AE moved to the 7 site.  I have always thought she should have stayed near the main landmark the Norwich City, there may even have been still material worth scavenging off it then but she apparently moved to the other end of the island, a friend decaying under a pile rocks nearby would certainly encourage a relocation.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2017, 09:30:17 AM »

Okay expedition team...you're going to help me out on this one...now beings I've never been to the island and the recent findings of eight graves. How hard would it be to dig a grave on Niku? Is there alot of coral and rocks involved...or is it just simply island dirt? Or is the makeup of soil different at certain points on the island. Getting back to what I said in earlier post...I dont see Amelia doing this...First of all, you would have to have a good shovel or tool to dig with. Second, question would be if I didnt have a tool I would have to make one or use what nature has to offer...a rock, a shell, whatever. if this be the case...how far is the cairn site from the Norwich City or potential site where Amelia landed the Electra?

Bryan Tolin

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2017, 10:01:32 AM »

Randy,
Re:
how far is the cairn site from the Norwich City or potential site where Amelia landed the Electra?

See Map and photos from the Thursday June 29th entry, specifically "Grave Concerns".
LTM - Bryan

Jon Romig

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »

From the daily updates it appears that it is sometimes difficult or impossible to relocate previously discovered features on Niku. Do TIGHAR teams consistently use GPS or other methods to accurately record the locations of discoveries? Given that the "cairn" site discovery was from a recent expedition and is now lost (at least as of July 1), should TIGHAR and Betchart be more emphatic about locations being recorded by volunteers?

Additionally, is there a GPS-based database/digital map of Niku that accurately locates past discoveries and features of interest?

Jon
Jon Romig 3562R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2017, 04:14:28 PM »

From the daily updates it appears that it is sometimes difficult or impossible to relocate previously discovered features on Niku. Do TIGHAR teams consistently use GPS or other methods to accurately record the locations of discoveries?

If you follow this link, you will see that TIGHAR has used GPS for years.

Given that the "cairn" site discovery was from a recent expedition and is now lost (at least as of July 1), should TIGHAR and Betchart be more emphatic about locations being recorded by volunteers?

What kind of equipment can you mandate that the volunteers bring with them?

You have to go pretty far up the scale to get 3-meter resolution, I believe.  Ordinary civilian equipment is 10 times less accurate.  And there are atmospheric effects on accuracy.

Niku III used a GPS base station to improve accuracy.  But it had to be moved to avoid being washed away by a storm and was not re-installed.

Additionally, is there a GPS-based database/digital map of Niku that accurately locates past discoveries and features of interest?

There are various and sundry GIS maps that Jim Thompson has worked on over the years.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2017, 11:33:24 PM »

Andrew and Joe..after reviewing the chain of events yesterday I went to the National Geographic link to see what the dogs had been up too. As I was looking I saw the new jpeg of the freckle ointment jar that was displayed and noticed markings on top of the outer edge of the jar. At first I got a magnifying glass to look further I noticed that indeed there were markings. After sometime of zooming in and out on the image, I finally decided to flip the image and low and behold I found a word "Throne". There are two other words to the left, but cannot make them out at this time. Anyway, wanted to bring this to your attention and hope that it can be made useful in future searches.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2017, 11:14:37 AM »

From the daily updates it appears that it is sometimes difficult or impossible to relocate previously discovered features on Niku. Do TIGHAR teams consistently use GPS or other methods to accurately record the locations of discoveries? Given that the "cairn" site discovery was from a recent expedition and is now lost (at least as of July 1), should TIGHAR and Betchart be more emphatic about locations being recorded by volunteers?

The “cairn” was spotted during the 2015 Betchart trip. He didn’t take a GPS reading at the time, thinking it would be easy to find it again.  Now, two years later, he can’t find it.
The baby grave was found in 1989, excavated in 1991, and the surrounding area was thoroughly inspected in 1997 - all before we had GPS capability. One of the guys who was on the 1997 team wants to take another look.  He assumed he could find it from memory after 20 years.

We're Mac-based and most GIS programs are Windows-only.  I have a really good GIS of the Seven Site with all of the hits and features plotted but it's in Adobe Illustrator so there's no good way to share it. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:28:49 AM by Ric Gillespie »

David Williams

• TIGHAR member
  • Retd. Airline & Brit Military Pilot
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2017, 06:08:07 PM »

First post so be gentle with me, long time lurker with fingers crossed for 'something' / 'anything' substantial to turn up in the remaining days of Niku IX. I was also surprised to hear that more use is not being made of GPS for position marking seeing as GPS units are so commonplace and relatively cheap to buy these days.

I understand the reasoning better for the 'losing' of previously found features (the Cairn etc) explained in Ric's last post (quote below) but in a place like I understand Niku to be, with its dense undergrowth having fast recovery from hacking back, GPS must surely be essential equipment from this expedition forward?? 

RIc Gillespie - The “cairn” was spotted during the 2015 Betchart trip. He didn’t take a GPS reading at the time, thinking it would be easy to find it again.  Now, two years later, he can’t find it.

Also:
Ric - We're Mac-based and most GIS programs are Windows-only.  I have a really good GIS of the Seven Site with all of the hits and features plotted but it's in Adobe Illustrator so there's no good way to share it. 

I sympathize with Mac users and their reasons for going that route but there just aren't the programs available for the Mac that a professional organisation like TIGHAR probably needs.  A solution might be to keep the Mac for personal use, bite the bullet and use a windows setup for business, the cost of which could be written off over time as a business expense.

OK, getting off the pot now.... I haven't written Niku IX off just yet, I'm sure those involved are doing their very best but Niku X with a 'real TIGHAR team' has piqued my interest already!
Dave W
Dave W
in the frozen north

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:42:43 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2017, 07:29:21 AM »

GPS must surely be essential equipment from this expedition forward?? 

We use GPS where appropriate. You can watch me use GPS to find the Bevington Object location in 2010 at https://youtu.be/APhSvwipBmE
It's fine for identifying general locations out in the open, but deep in the coconut jungle or buka forest it's often hard to get a good signal.  In 2015 we were there during a severe "solar storm" that rendered GPS unreliable for several days.

I sympathize with Mac users and their reasons for going that route but there just aren't the programs available for the Mac that a professional organisation like TIGHAR probably needs.  A solution might be to keep the Mac for personal use, bite the bullet and use a windows setup for business, the cost of which could be written off over time as a business expense.

I sympathize with Windows users. We've never met a need we can't serve better with a Mac.
TIGHAR is a nonprofit. Nonprofit businesses are tax exempt.  We don't have to write off business expenses.

OK, getting off the pot now.... I haven't written Niku IX off just yet, I'm sure those involved are doing their very best but Niku X with a 'real TIGHAR team' has piqued my interest already!
Dave W

We'll see.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 07:31:36 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Bryan Tolin

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2017, 04:31:39 PM »

So...On occasions where GPS may be dodgy, or unusable for whatever reason, what is the best method of cataloging locations for further inspection? Do the expeditions carry some sort of beacons or markers, or is it more a matter of mathematical triangulation - using ( hopefully ) something other than trees - say the Norwich City etc.

Growth being what it is, I would imagine it would be a brutal prospect to re-locate items of interest.
LTM - Bryan

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org