Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airstream Trailers and 24 ST Alclad  (Read 4856 times)

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
Airstream Trailers and 24 ST Alclad
« on: May 31, 2017, 12:13:18 PM »

If I recall correctly in regard to  artifact 2-2-V-1 the main objection to it being a good candidate for the window patch was that the faint ALCLAD stamp was more consistent with post 1940 labels than what was known of the prewar stamping, one of the problems was a lack of examples of prewar sheets.

By chance I have found that the Airstream Trailers (those classic, shiny aluminum camping trailers) that were built post-WWII used 24ST, 0.32 Alclad as their exterior skins.  It is a little harder to confirm but it appears it was also used in the prewar models, the first Airstreams came out in 1936 and were built until the war effort monopolized the aluminum production and then started again after the war.  There are many diehard Airstream fans online and with several forums dedicated to restoring the older models.   I have been going through some sites to see if any pictures of old models in the process of rebuilding  reveal stamping ( the exteriors like that of the Electra have been buffed and any stamping would have been erased). I have attached a photo of a later model (a 1950s or 60s model) where under the insulation on the lower right the stamping can be seen.  I have left an appeal on one forum for users to send photos of any prewar model restorations .  If anyone knows of someone who owns an airstream of the correct vintage we would have a good source to verify the types of stamps used by ALCOA  prewar.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:34:44 PM by Matt Revington »

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
Re: Airstream Trailers and 24 ST Alclad
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 07:09:33 AM »

People on the Airstream forum are trying to help, one guy sent me this  picture morning unfortunately it was from a 1955 model he restored.  Interestingly the design of the trailers was inspired by aircraft like the Electra, the original Airstream designs were done by Hawley Bowlus who helped build the Spirit of St Louis.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 07:23:33 AM by Matt Revington »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org