Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Rhinebeck Event  (Read 9110 times)

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
Old Rhinebeck Event
« on: April 15, 2016, 08:15:55 PM »

Is anyone going to the Old Rhinebeck event on May 21?

LTM,

Karen Hoy 2610 CER

Kurt Kummer

• TIGHAR member
Re: Old Rhinebeck Event
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 10:25:03 PM »

I'm not going this year, but I was there in 1973.  What a wonderful, fantastic place to see!  You'll love it!  Where else in the world can you see Nieuports and Spads and Sopwith Camels and Fokkers fly and 'fight' right in front of your eyes?  And an original 1909 Bleriot too!  What a great place.  Hmmm, maybe next year...

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 06:28:36 AM »

How did this go as far as TIGHAR's donation and presentation? Wish I had been able to attend.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 02:31:00 PM »

There wasn't enough interest from the TIGHAR membership to justify attending and the weather turned out to be rainy.  Maybe another time.

Timothy Smith

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 07:02:42 PM »

I had wanted to get to the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome for decades and the Lindberg event got me thinking about it again.  As it turned out, a fellow aviation fan and I were able to go a month later.  The weather was perfect all weekend and we got to take the 1929 New Standard biplane ride.  That was a blast!!  The Ryan NYP replica is still there and I was able to get an up-close look inside the cockpit. 

Like most aviation museums, they do some things really well and some things not so well.  They have a great collection, lots of original stuff and good restorations.  It is refreshingly free of WWII warbirds.  They have some rickety, unheated, overcrowded hangars. They seem to do a lot of community involvement but aren't hitting the right rich folks (the Vanderbilt and FDR places are nearby as is lots of other Hudson old money). 

Anyway, we had a great time and would go back but not necessarily related to TIGHAR.

Tim Smith
1142 CE
Tim Smith
1142CE

pilotart

• T3
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 02:43:23 AM »

Recall a wonderful Summer Saturday there about ten or fifteen years ago.

My late wife said she enjoyed it above any (of many, over 43 years) airshow she had ever attended by far. :)

Welcome access to walk around the old and replica airplanes, autos, etc.. as well as their ancient hangars and workshops.

Nice Museum and gift shop across from field, up a little hill. They said they had the airshows every weekend (Saturday & Sundays) all summer long.
Art Johnson

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org