Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Funding for Niku IX  (Read 21979 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Funding for Niku IX
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 09:16:31 AM »

So only video is going to be considered when planning the underwater search for Niku 2017?

I thought everyone understood that the plan for the Niku IX expedition is to use the two Pisces three-person manned submersibles to conduct a thorough underwater search.  The primary search tool will be the Mark One Eyeball - six of them in each sub to be exact.  Each sub will also be equipped with HD video, forward-looking sonar, and metal detection capability.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 05:13:19 PM »

I understood that just fine - but I was assuming that there would be some attempt to narrow down the search area to the most promising spots, since TIGHAR can't stay at Niku forever and it's a big reef face.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 08:07:50 PM »

I understood that just fine - but I was assuming that there would be some attempt to narrow down the search area to the most promising spots, since TIGHAR can't stay at Niku forever and it's a big reef face?

We'll let everyone know the plan once it's finalized.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 08:47:33 AM »

Yes.  Such a review is currently underway.  The organization doing the review would prefer that we not talk about it at this time.

I don't understand why a organization would make that kind of stipulation, especially for something as innocuous as this, reviewing data about a 70-plus-year-old mystery.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 09:02:50 AM »

Yes.  Such a review is currently underway.  The organization doing the review would prefer that we not talk about it at this time.

I don't understand why a organization would make that kind of stipulation, especially for something as innocuous as this, reviewing data about a 70-plus-year-old mystery.

I guess you'll just have to add it to the list of things you don't understand.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org