Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Chapter Two  (Read 51249 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Re: Chapter Two
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 04:01:45 PM »

Single-engine operations in a non-feathering twin is a hairy proposition.  Attached are the published procedures for the Model 10 written for a non-U.S. operator. 

After reading those procedures, I think hairy is an understatement. Which makes me wonder why Mantz, said what he said, knowing how little he thought of Amelia's abilities.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 04:19:27 PM »

After reading those procedures, I think hairy is an understatement. Which makes me wonder why Mantz, said what he said, knowing how little he thought of Amelia's abilities.

By 3/15 Mantz knew he would be in the right seat for the flight to Honolulu.  Amelia's abilities had nothing to do with it.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 04:44:22 PM »

For much of her career AE maintained a killer speaking engagement schedule, presumably to help pay the bills.  I wonder if we can find out how much she charged?  It's not the sort of information that is normally is covered in a newspaper story.
By the summer of 1935 she seems to have been trying to get out of the stunt flying business and transition to a less brutal life style. She had the Vega returned to passenger configuration for use in a flight school and charter business partnership with Mantz and accepted the job at Purdue - $2,000/year for some part time non-aeronautical consulting.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 09:05:43 PM »

This book on page 139 states ....it was common knowledge that Amelia was making some $500.00 per week for promotions/ speaking engagements; this in 1928....I believe I read somewhere that in the mid 30's her speaking fees were about 300.00 per session, and will try to find that article again to see if my memory is correct.

https://books.google.com/books?id=IDquAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA133&lpg=PA133&dq=amelia+earhart+lecture+fees&source=bl&ots=C2W2LglD5X&sig=AxhqsMZdZYsg9sDbo5TK3emVEG8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxisChuezLAhUjkIMKHbk-DiEQ6AEIVzAI#v=onepage&q=amelia%20earhart%20lecture%20fees&f=false

Attachment below shows a ticket from early 1936 ...1.00.  Ticket availability??? this is numbered 665.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:15:37 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 09:55:08 PM »

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:57:23 PM by Jerry Germann »

Russ Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 12:30:06 AM »

I wonder what is the primary source for that dollar figure?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 07:21:02 AM »

I wonder what is the primary source for that dollar figure?

The book is Amelia Lost by Candace Fleming (2011).  She cites Putnam's book Soaring Wings for her section on "Earhart Enterprises."  Our copy of Soaring Wings should arrive in a few days (courtesy of Karen Hoy).
Candy Fleming is a good researcher.  I worked closely with her while she was writing the book and she gives me and TIGHAR a very nice mention in her Acknowledgements. If Soaring Wings does not include documentation of AE's speaking fees I can write to Candy and ask her to dig out where that information came from.

Scott C. Mitchell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 09:40:54 AM »

According to two inflation-adjusted currency calculators, a $300 speaking fee in 1928 would be equivalent to about $1,400 today.

Scott
3292R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 09:45:23 AM »

According to two inflation-adjusted currency calculators, a $300 speaking fee in 1928 would be equivalent to about $1,400 today.

Fleming put the figure at $3,500 but she was using 1935.  I wonder if the Great Depression is the factor that makes the 1935 equivalent so much higher.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 06:12:58 PM by Jerry Germann »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 03:09:10 PM »

I'm having trouble finding documentation that pins down the dates for some crucial events in 1935.

May 18, 1935
Purdue President Elliot offers Earhart a position as a "visiting faculty member" for $2,000/year. [East to the Dawn, Butler, page 309]
Butler quotes part of the letter and cites "Frueling, Purdue Alumnus, Dec. 1975." It would be good to have the entire letter.

At some point AE accepts the offer but I can't find a reference or a date.

Her first official day at Purdue wasn't until November 7, 1935 (Butler, page 316, but no citation)

At some time after she went to work (so apparently after November 7), Elliot writes to Putnam asking what plans Amelia has "beyond academic matters."  (Butler, page 317)
Butler quotes no other part of the letter and includes no citation. This is the letter that opened the door for Putnam to propose that Purdue buy Amelia an airplane.  If Elliot had not written that letter we would not be having this conversation.  Gotta find that letter.

The Purdue archives include the undated, unsigned (somewhat crazy) "Amelia Earhart Project" document I posted earlier. It appears to have been part of Putnam's response to Elliot's "beyond academic matters" letter but it would be nice to be sure.

The deal for the Purdue Research Foundation to buy AE a "flying laboratory" was agreed to at a dinner at Elliott's house "in the fall of 1935" (Butler, page 318 no citation; Long, page 54, no citation: Rich, page 220, no citation: etc.)  What make and model of airplane to purchase had apparently not yet been decided.  When did that dinner occur? 

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 05:21:51 PM »

The deal for the Purdue Research Foundation to buy AE a "flying laboratory" was agreed to at a dinner at Elliott's house "in the fall of 1935" (Butler, page 318 no citation; Long, page 54, no citation: Rich, page 220, no citation: etc.)  What make and model of airplane to purchase had apparently not yet been decided.  When did that dinner occur?

Have any of our TIGHARS looked at the Purdue archives for Edward C. Elliott?

I would think that the odds are good that the answer is in them somewhere.

She was at Purdue on November 7, 1935.  Planning for a "two-day conference on aeronautics on Thursday and Friday, November 14th and 15th."

She and the Prez were photographed looking at a globe on November 22, 1935.

She was scheduled to be at Purdue ("goes to you") in November, 1935.

Elliott had dinner with the Putnams at the Lotos Club on December 12, 1935.

Putnam to Elliott, transmitting the invitation:"Letter from George Palmer Putnam to Edward Elliott concerning dinner at the Lotos Club and possible cooperation with Dr. [Gilbert] Grosvenor and John Oliver LaGorce of the National Geographic on the Purdue Earhart flight project, December 9, 1935."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:42:11 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 06:22:08 PM »

"Our Amelia Earhart Putnam is now woman's career advisor to the coeds of Purdue. Now, Amelia don't make high flyers out of the youngsters." (Dallas Morning News, June 10, 1935, Section 2 page 2.

On Sunday October 13, 1935 the Indianapolis Star said on page 54 that Earhart would lecture the following Saturday (October 19) at the Indianapolis Town Hall meeting. President Elliott would introduce her and sit at the speaker's table.

Joy Diane Forster

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 09:03:41 AM »

A search found the following at the Indiana State government website:

www.in.gov/history/files/aviationinindiana.pdf

www.in.gov/icw/files/2015-03-21_Amelia_Earhart.pdf

They also cite the December 1975 Purdue Alumnus magazine.  I would think that one could come up with a copy of that Alumnus magazine somewhere, though the Purdue e-archives don't appear to have them.

I went to Purdue, but don't live in Indiana any more.  Maybe a local TIGHAR member could go visit the library?

Joy
TIGHAR Member #4239

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 10:42:27 AM »

Soaring Wings has arrived (thanks again Karen) and once again we're seeing the value of the meticulous timeline we've been constructing.

President Elliot writes to George Putnam asking what plans Amelia has "beyond academic matters."  (Butler, page 317) Butler quotes no other part of the letter and includes no citation but she credits Putnam's reaction to it to Soaring Wings page 272.

Here the relevant passage from Soaring Wings:
"Since the autumn of 1935 she had been pursuing the pleasant association with Purdue University.  In the summer of 1936 President Elliot of Purdue asked me what I thought there was in the field of research and education that interested AE most beyond academic matters. I told him she was hankering for a bigger and better plane, not only one in which she could go far places farther and faster and more safely, but to use as a laboratory for research in aviation education and for technical experimentation.
And so in April, 1936, after canvassing the possibilities and securing the co-operation of friends of Purdue, Dr. Elliott was able to announce that a fund of $50,000 had been subscribed, to be known as the Amelia Earhart Fund for Aeronautical Research, and that a Lockheed Electra would be purchased and tuned over to her."

Let's deconstruct what Putnam wrote.
"Since the autumn of 1935 she had been pursuing the pleasant association with Purdue University."
Elliott made the offer of a consulting position on May 18, 1935.  Thanks to the Dallas Morning News article found by Karen Hoy, we know that by June 10, 1935 the word was out that AE had accepted the offer. So Amelia's association with Purdue dates from June, not the autumn, of 1935. However, she didn't actually start at Purdue until November 7, 1935 so perhaps that is what Putnam is referring to.

"In the summer of 1936 President Elliot of Purdue asked me what I thought there was in the field of research and education that interested AE most beyond academic matters."
This has to be a typo.  By the summer of 1936 the Electra was already built and delivered.  Did Putnam mean to say the summer of 1935? 

"I told him she was hankering for a bigger and better plane, not only one in which she could go far places farther and faster and more safely, but to use as a laboratory for research in aviation education and for technical experimentation."
Putnam seems to be referring to the undated document in the Purdue collection titled "Amelia Earhart Project" (facsimile transcript attached).  There are clues in the document that may help us date it.
"The wide-spread attention given Amelia Earhart’s association with Purdue has identified her with the University." So this was written long enough after the initial agreement that there has been wide-spread attention given Amelia Earhart’s association with Purdue.
"The plane in which Miss Earhart flew the Atlantic solo is now on permanent exhibition at the Franklin Institute, Philadelphia."  When did the Atlantic Vega go on display at the Franklin Institute?
"The plane used on her Pacific, Mexican, and other records flights, has been transformed into a passenger carrier."
In a letter to her mother on July 28, 1935 AE mentioned that her ship was "still undergoing repairs, that is repainting and reupholstering and when it is finished i will put it with Paul's fleet for charter."  So apparently Putnam's reply dates from some time after July 28.

Back to Soaring Wings.
"And so in April, 1936, after canvassing the possibilities and securing the co-operation of friends of Purdue, Dr. Elliott was able to announce that a fund of $50,000 had been subscribed, to be known as the Amelia Earhart Fund for Aeronautical Research, and that a Lockheed Electra would be purchased and tuned over to her."
It's true that the announcement was made in April 1936 but the Electra was ordered on March 20 and the agreement that Purdue would buy an airplane for AE was done at a dinner which seems to have happened in November 1935 while AE was at Purdue.(Butler, page 318)

So we're still left with the questions:
When did Elliott write the fateful "beyond academic matters" letter?
When did Putnam reply with the Amelia Earhart Project" proposal?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org