Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Goerner-Hathaway Letters  (Read 6756 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
The Goerner-Hathaway Letters
« on: February 28, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »

One of the most interesting aspects of the search for Amelia Earhart is the number of times good researchers came close to recognizing Gardner Island/Nikumaroro as the answer to the riddle only to miss or misinterpret some essential piece of the puzzle. We've started a series of postings on the TIGHAR Facebook page we're calling "Close Encounters."  We started with The Hooven Report.

The next posting in the series will be Fred Goerner's "close encounter" with Betty Klenck Brown.
In 1970, Betty's neighbor John Hathaway tried to get Fred Goerner, author of "The Search For Amelia Earhart" (Doubleday, 1966) interested in Betty's Notebook but Goerner apparently failed to recognize its importance.
 We have expanded The Goerner-Hathaway Letters in the TIGHAR archives to include not only Goerner's two letters to John Hathaway but also the handwritten drafts of the letters Hathaway sent to Goerner (Hathaway did not have access to a copy machine and did not make copies of his letters to Goerner but he did give TIGHAR his notes and rough drafts).

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
Re: The Goerner-Hathaway Letters
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:59:53 PM »

Thank You very much for posting those Ric,I have never seen them before.

This may have been explained here before, however; a question I have concerns a paragraph from the September 10th, 1970 Hathaway to Goerner, on page 3.
This paragraph;
One of their neighbors A neighbor of theirs listened too He is still living and might be able to help As far as determining the frequency poses another problem. to the transmission, first on Mrs Brown's radio, then on his own.
A line drawn from that first line (green) to the last line ( green) seems to indicate that the subject matter between ( black)has interrupted that line of thought, but little matter, what is of interest to me is what is written at the end of that last line. ....Then his own.... was he able to hear what Betty heard on his own radio??? or did he attempt to hear what she was hearing?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:22:32 PM by Jerry Germann »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 06:41:42 PM »

was he able to hear what Betty heard on his own radio??? or did he attempt to hear what she was hearing? [/color]

What Betty told us is that her father went to a neighbor next door to see if he could also hear it, but he couldn't because his antenna was not as sophisticated as the Klenck's.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 07:43:53 AM »

If we're going to be posting Goerner's letters, how about the March 1, 1990, one he wrote to TIGHAR? Having the original source documents is always better than having something that may have been overmassaged by the internet masses.

Or so it seems to me.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 08:35:37 AM »

If we're going to be posting Goerner's letters, how about the March 1, 1990, one he wrote to TIGHAR?

Funny you should ask.  We're currently putting together an archive of Goerner's correspondence with TIGHAR spanning the period from April 1989 to August 1992.  Fred Goerner died in September 1994. 

There are four letters to TIGHAR member Rob Gerth; two letters to me (including the March 1, 1990 letter you mention); four letters to TIGHAR Senior Archaeologist Tom King;  and three letters to TIGHAR archaeologist Gary Quigg. Thirteen letters in all, many of them several single-spaced pages long. There are also three letters from me to Goerner.
We'll also include Goerner's correspondence with the late Harry Maude, the British Colonial Service officer who set up the Phoenix Islands Settlement Scheme.

I'll post a link as soon as we get them all scanned and mounted on the TIGHAR website. It's an extensive and fascinating body of information.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org