Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Important Announcement  (Read 34443 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Important Announcement
« on: February 23, 2016, 03:41:35 PM »

Three weeks ago I announced an experiment, our first Forum Membership Drive.  I posted:
“Like nonprofit public radio and television, this Forum is freely accessible to everyone and free from advertising, pop-ups, and other commercial distractions. And like our counterparts in the broadcast world, our ability to provide this service depends upon funding generated by tax-deductible membership in the parent nonprofit organization. Borrowing a page from the NPR playbook, we'll periodically take a time-out from our usual "programming" to ask for your support.

There are currently 1,296 people registered to this Forum.  Only a small percentage are members of TIGHAR.  If you use and enjoy this Forum we're asking, not requiring, you to join TIGHAR. Our goal for this our first Forum Membership Drive is 50 new TIGHAR members.  Until we reach that goal I'll be responding only to questions and comments posted by currently paid-up members of TIGHAR, so please include your member number (as most of you do anyway) at the end of your post.

The sooner we reach our goal, the sooner we can get back to regular Forum action.”

During the three weeks since then, three things have happened:
•  Exactly one Forum member has joined TIGHAR.
•  Postings by non-TIGHARs have dropped dramatically.
•  The productivity of the Forum in valuable research through the postings of TIGHAR members has skyrocketed.

The lesson is clear. 

Effective March 1, free participation in the TIGHAR Forum will become a benefit of membership in TIGHAR. The Forum will still be free for all to read but only TIGHAR members will be allowed to post.  You do not have to agree with TIGHAR’s opinions or conclusions to be a TIGHAR member. Spirited debate has always been one of TIGHAR’s greatest strengths.  All of the other Forum rules and standards will remain unchanged. 

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
Re: Important Announcement
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 04:07:33 PM »

Have fun! I will miss that "spirited debate!"
Bob S.

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 04:22:25 PM »

I was hoping we'd get a few new TIGHAR's.

Oh well. I'm in for life. I've gotta see how this turns out.

Alfred Hendrickson 2583R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 04:32:05 PM »

Have fun! I will miss that "spirited debate!"

There's sure to be plenty of spirited debate and you'll still be able to read it.  You just won't be able to add your two cents worth unless you pay your two cents - or fifteen cents to be exact.  A year's membership in TIGHAR is $55 which comes to 15 cents per day. 

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 05:38:09 PM »

By the way, why doesn't my # of posts ever change lately??
Bob S.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 07:14:55 PM »

By the way, why doesn't my # of posts ever change lately??

Dunno.  Neither does mine.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 08:02:10 PM »

Yes it does.  Just takes a while to catch up.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 08:20:02 PM »

I don't know, Ric. Somehow my thick head is preventing this to compute. Does the new rule that you can't post unless you are a member mean the word " free" is a misnomer and the Forum is really free only to members who have paid??
Bob S.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 09:49:24 PM »

I don't know, Ric. Somehow my thick head is preventing this to compute. Does the new rule that you can't post unless you are a member mean the word " free" is a misnomer and the Forum is really free only to members who have paid??

Ric wrote, "Effective March 1, free participation in the TIGHAR Forum will become a benefit of membership in TIGHAR. The Forum will still be free for all to read but only TIGHAR members will be allowed to post."

You seem to have missed that the free part is "to read" while posting will become a benefit of TIGHAR membership.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 02:46:25 AM »

Just beware the Law of Unintended Consequences as you move forward with this plan.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Daniel Paul Cotts

• T2
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 04:49:33 AM »

I'm not a member and don't see a TIGHAR membership in my retired income budget. I've contributed to the sextant numbers thread. Guess that has come to an end.

I understand a reticence to engage folks who submit questions to the forum that do not seem useful in advancing the search. That has already been implemented. I do not see the new rule attracting new memberships. It seems people become engaged first and then become a member. If a person cannot post they will not do independent research - or so it seems to me.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 11:37:09 AM »

To get more members it might be worth asking what made the existing ones join. I saw the Discovery Channel documentary. Then months later came across the forum, lurked a while, then joined the forum, then joined TIGHAR. Months between each stage. The more I learned, the more I became interested and convinced it was worth it.
3971R

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:41:57 AM by Greg Daspit »

Gary Vance

• TIGHAR member
  • "Virtual" member #4847
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 12:07:35 PM »

As a long time lurker, non-member,  and occasional poster I have an idea. Create a special class of member that has only on-line access to Tighar, not any of the printed materials.  They can access online member-only images and links and electronic copies of Tighar tracks, and include forum posting privileges.   Call it a "Virtual" membership and only charge like $25 a year.  I'd be the first to sign up!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 09:15:44 AM »

As a long time lurker, non-member,  and occasional poster I have an idea. Create a special class of member that has only on-line access to Tighar, not any of the printed materials.  They can access online member-only images and links and electronic copies of Tighar tracks, and include forum posting privileges.   Call it a "Virtual" membership and only charge like $25 a year.  I'd be the first to sign up!

There would be costs in creating and administering a new category of TIGHAR membership and a bargain-basement price might encourage trolls to join just to make trouble, but if it generated lots of new members it might be worth the hassle.  So let's take a poll. If you're currently not a TIGHAR member and would join TIGHAR at a "Virtual" level as described by Gary for $25/year please drop me an email at ric@tighar.org.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 09:37:29 AM »

To get more members it might be worth asking what made the existing ones join.

We did that.  Back in January, as part of planning for a major membership drive, we took a survey of TIGHAR members.  We asked:

"Here’s your chance to participate in a poll that has nothing to do with politics.

We’re gearing up for a major membership campaign and we need your help in designing the materials we’ll use to solicit new TIGHAR members.  Please take a moment to answer this question -

I joined and remain a member of TIGHAR because:

A.    I want to know what really happened to Amelia Earhart.
B.    I support TIGHAR’s approach to historical investigation.
C.    I enjoy participating in research and/or field work.
D.    I enjoy reading TIGHAR publications.
E.    All of the above.

If you have another reason for being a TIGHAR member or you would care to comment further please send your thoughts to Ric@tighar.org.

Thanks!"

We got an excellent response and the overwhelming majority chose "E.  All of the above."

Several members sent comments.  None were negative.  Here are a few examples.

"I have never known any group to so publicly follow the scientific method even at cost to their own egos and pet views.  A great example of what searching for the truth should be about.  And the broad base of experts used to bring the facts of the case to light."

"Proud to be a member of such a fine organization.
I enjoy reading everything.
Keep the good stuff coming, please. I read and re-read all the material."

"My wife and I are both private pilots and  have been for over 30 years. I am also a certified licensed airframe and powerplant mechanic as well as a Ph.D. registered professional engineer involved in the medical device industry.  We are both very interested in all of TIGHAR's historic aircraft recovery and specifically for Amelia Earhart. We appreciate very much the methodical, scientific, and technical approach taken to evaluate artifacts, rather than emotional responses. In addition, my 9 year old granddaughter has given several presentation projects in her 4th grade class regarding Amelia Earhart and derived much of her material from the TIGHAR website. She is also very interested in aviation.
Keep up the great work and good luck in soliciting new TIGHAR members."
"I joined because I wanted to learn new things and practice my research skills. I figured someone would soon realize that I'm clueless about aviation and throw me out. But that didn't happen.
I soon figured out that TIGHAR isn't just for experts and I could contribute both money and expertise (on the one or two things I actually understand, but that's another issue!) I also met many TIGHARS and learned that everyone is very nice and helpful and interesting.
Big Question: How many world-famous mysteries are investigated by a non-profit that accepts anyone and combines rigorous science with fun and laughs? TIGHAR rules!"
I saw the Discovery Channel documentary. Then months later came across the forum, lurked a while, then joined the forum, then joined TIGHAR. Months between each stage. The more I learned, the more I became interested and convinced it was worth it.

You're a bit unusual in that you joined as a result of participation in the Forum.  Most new members learn about TIGHAR, as you did, via media coverage of our work.  They then go to the TIGHAR website, like what they see, and join.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org