Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Finest Hours - should be a good one  (Read 7591 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
The Finest Hours - should be a good one
« on: January 06, 2016, 05:18:23 PM »

The Finest Hours is Disney's take on the incredible rescue efforts of the US Coast Guard when not one but two T-2 tankers split in half off of Massachusetts during a hurricane - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2025690/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt.

I only hope Disney doesn't go full Hollywood on it, the basic story is dramatic enough all by itself.

LTM, who wonders if the director is connected to TIGHAR in some way,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Monty Fowler

• T5
Re: The Finest Hours - should be a good one
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:47:07 AM »

Disney did a good job with this one. It was engaging and exciting without relying on cheap gimickry or lots of guns and explosions.

Sure, there were some things that were over-dramatized (I don't think the Chatham Bar really looks like the North Shore of Oahu, hurricane or no hurricane, for one thing), and some historical nits to pick (no wooden lifeboats and color of lifejackets on the Pendleton to name two of the smaller ones), but all in all it was an enjoyable two hours. I left feeling that my money had been well spent.

LTM, who loves the United States Coast Guard,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:44:34 AM by Monty Fowler »

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 01:30:52 PM »

I saw it. It was entertaining.
  I read the pieces of the ship did not sink as shown in the movie and they later attempted to tow the bow section for scrap.

3971R

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 05:59:04 AM »

That was one of the major nits, Greg, but, well, Disney ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org