Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: How tall was Amelia?  (Read 112650 times)

Roger London

• T1
Re: How tall was Amelia?
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2015, 04:07:08 PM »

For the Vega measuring exercise I’d suggest a Self-levelling Rotary Laser as this can afford above floor level measurements without physical contact with the exhibit and its ensuing concerns. The red-beam versions are most suited for daylight conditions and the green-beam for interior lighting.  Tripod mount the laser and progressively adjust its height to position the laser beam on the desired exhibit spot, then simply steel tape measure the height of the beam away from the exhibit, optionally using the electronic beam-detector which can resolve to around 1mm. Thus there should not be any need to use a surveying staff. To restrict the rotary beam from unwanted areas of the room merely add a baffle, like a hand/pocket tissue, around the rotating head but not touching it.

To measure the off-floor exhibit wheel heights hold a spirit level under the bottom of each tire and measure the height of the top of the spirit level at a point clear of the exhibit. Or if the wheels are close to, but clear of, the floor use external engineering calipers, which come in various sizes.

If the exhibit is non-level it might be prudent to tape measure the height of each wing tip in case someone subsequently attempts a computer CAD re-orientating exercise; a daunting challenge!

Steve D. Burk

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2015, 08:54:11 AM »

I don't believe we have any way of knowing whether AE's stated height of 5ft 8in represents a "shoes on" or a "shoes off" value.  If it is a "shoes off" measure, then with "shoes on" such as in her photo alongside the Vega, her height might be expected to be more like 5ft 9in or so. This uncertainty could then alter what height is considered to be within the error bounds (discussed in an earlier post) and what isn't.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2015, 09:03:19 AM »

I don't believe we have any way of knowing whether AE's stated height of 5ft 8in represents a "shoes on" or a "shoes off" value.

That's an interesting point.  How do you know how tall you are? It's hard to measure your own height.  Usually somebody else measures your height (often a nurse during a physical) and tells you.  Do most people kick off their shoes before stepping up to be weighed and measured? I know I do.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2015, 12:07:16 PM »

Wonder the distance between top of fender and bottom of wing, Earhart doesn't seem to be able to fit under and has to crouch a bit, ...maybe just a bracing action on her part though. If it is found that the tires have been changed would a photo like this help?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/31/article-2152931-1363EA89000005DC-601_634x489.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2173446/Amelia-Earhart-Beauty-kit-desert-island-Pacific.html&h=489&w=634&tbnid=o3dmc7m-x3q6wM:&docid=7Q6Wx4t2FaDkHM&ei=zYtgVq6KEIrXmwH_26GYDQ&tbm=isch&ved=0ahUKEwjupNPpqsDJAhWK6yYKHf9tCNM4yAEQMwgTKBAwEA
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:31:18 PM by Jerry Germann »

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2015, 12:29:35 PM »

Why not use AE herself to extrapolate her measurements - her palm print is at the Library of Congress.

http://blogs.loc.gov/loc/2013/07/hands-to-the-skies/

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2015, 12:57:29 PM »

There is a formula that says measure your hand from the base to the tip of the middle finger. Then multiply that number by .10 for women or .11 for men. This should predict your height.

https://prettyhands.wordpress.com/big-hands-for-your-height-a-way-to-find-out/

I tried it. The formula says I should be 2 inches shorter than I actually am.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2015, 01:10:02 PM »

Interesting, but that's not what I had in mind when I suggested it. I was thinking more along the lines it providing a known measurement (that appears in almost every pic of AE. Imagine that!) that could be used for a scale reference. 

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2015, 02:22:51 PM »

The formula says I should be 2 inches shorter than I actually am.

Works out about right for me.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2015, 02:28:37 PM »

Why not use AE herself to extrapolate her measurements - her palm print is at the Library of Congress.

If the palm print is life-size she either had disproportionately big hands or she was about 5'10" tall.

Steve D. Burk

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2015, 03:40:59 PM »

If I understand the original purpose of this effort correctly it is not to find AE's height per se, but rather to use her height to estimate shoe size.  If that is right, then might it be possible to by-pass finding her height altogether if a reasonably reliable correlation between hand size and foot size can be found?  In a quick Google search this proved to be tougher than I would have guessed and I'll let others discover for themselves just why that is.  I did find the following study, but it is from India and I don't know if the results would hold up for those of European descent:
http://medind.nic.in/jae/t05/i2/jaet05i2p55.pdf

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2015, 04:26:36 PM »

I think Ric is trying to determine AE's height because Dr Jantz needs it to determine if the 13 bones found on Niku are consistent with AE or a short, stocky male.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2015, 07:30:08 PM »

I think Ric is trying to determine AE's height because Dr Jantz needs it to determine if the 13 bones found on Niku are consistent with AE or a short, stocky male.

That's right Karen. Dr. Jantz is looking at the bone measurements taken by Dr. Hoodless and asking if the bones are more consistent with Earhart or a short, stocky male (as Hoodless judged them to be). 

Steve D. Burk

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2015, 08:09:27 PM »

Although, in the very first post of this thread, after discussing Dr. Jantz' needs, Ric goes on to say this:
"In addition to helping Dr. Jantz, knowing her height will help us answer many questions" and then he goes into a discussion of trying to estimate AE's shoe size.  This is the aspect where my suggestion above may come into play.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2015, 08:27:23 PM »

I agree. Knowing her height would be one factor in estimating her shoe size but it seems like knowing the dimensions of her hands would tell us something about her proportions. For example, a person with relatively large hands would be unlikely to have relatively small feet.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2015, 10:14:32 PM »

In light of all the attention being given to Amelia's height, it was interesting to note the picture on page 56 of Tighar Tracks shows what appears to be a good comparison of heights side-by-side of Amelia and three members of the Northwest Airways survey flight crew beside the Ford Trimotor. Her eyes are at the approximate nose level of the two on her right, and at eye level of the one on her left. She appears to be in high or medium high heel shoes and standing nearly against the Trimotor, for what it's worth.

Bob S.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org