Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: How tall was Amelia?  (Read 112651 times)

Neff Jacobs

• T2
Re: How tall was Amelia?
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2015, 07:47:27 PM »

James Lynch

• T1
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2015, 06:02:07 PM »

Just for fun, I measured my wife's tibia. She is a nurse and is slim built like AE. Her tibia is just over 14 inches which is 36 cm. She is five foot five inches tall, so the bone that measured 37.2 cm would indicate someone over five-five by just a small amount. 1.2 cm equals one half inch.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »

That's very interesting, James. Seriously, we need someone to go around to all their neighbors, and measure the wifes' tibia, compared to the height, record their occupation and other information to present in a tabular form. I'm not kidding! OK, maybe a little!
Bob S.

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2015, 03:16:19 AM »

That's very interesting, James. Seriously, we need someone to go around to all their neighbors, and measure the wifes' tibia, compared to the height, record their occupation and other information to present in a tabular form. I'm not kidding! OK, maybe a little!
It will come as no surprise, I'm sure, that the compiling of a database on worldwide bones measurements has already been done. The software is known as Fordisc. Dr. Richard Jantz was co-author. Dr. Karen Ramey Burns and Dr. Jantz used Fordisc in their analysis of measurements taken by Dr. Hoodless in 1941. Dr. Burns cited Fordisc in her work in forensic anthropology. My interaction with Dr. Burns was limited to emails on EPAC but we could all see what a pro she was, and a great person.

Joe Cerniglia

Neff Jacobs

• T2
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »

Here is a nice photo for seated height and Tibia scaling.  The wall and building may be seen in the background here  http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm/ref/collection/epurdue/id/350  and the wall railing a building are still a Perdue.

Neff

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2015, 10:15:07 PM »

As with the Vega, with possibilities of it being used as an existing guide to help determine Earhart's height,.. we seem to have this building and hand rail at Purdue,to help us with the quest to ascertain that Earhart feature. Neff posted a modern day view of the building at Purdue,.. the following two attachments show Earhart standing up against a brick wall atop that same building, in times past, and one view of the area in which she was standing. One may be able to deduce a fairly accurate height from this photo,( allow for the wind uplifting her hair)..is someone close by and has access to this area?
Would an estimate of the upper arm length( Humerus) be feasible with a photo, such as this ?
Photo Purdue;
http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/epurdue/id/358/rec/4
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:32:09 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2015, 08:48:51 PM »

The Tibia , seems a key element in bones research;

The photo of AE sitting on the Vega wheel fairing appears to show her lower leg/tibia length was longer than the 37.2cm/14.65" length measured by Dr. Hoodless, if the Vega she owned have the same specs as per the attachment. IMO....more research on Earhart's vega may be telling.

The studies linked below discuss the relationship of tibia length to stature. 

http://www.iosrjournals.org/iosr-jdms/papers/Vol13-issue5/Version-1/O013516570.pdf
Stature Estimation Using Per-Cutaneous Tibial Length in People of Gwalior Region

Note as well, the tibia is vital in identifying those whose skeletal remains are incomplete, as was the one found on Nikumaroro.
Abstract:
Stature estimation is an important part of the identification process of human skeletal remains or body parts to establish individuality of an unidentified dead, body or any mutilated part of such body by the Medico-legal expert...

Correlation of Percutaneous Tibal Length with Body Height and Estimation of Stature in Living Central India Population
http://www.ijmhr.org/ijar.3.2/IJAR.2015.187.pdf

Relationship Between the Stature and the Length of Long Bones Measured from X-rays; A Preliminary Report.
http://www.cspatologie.cz/docs/646-s-fulltext.pdf

Estimation of Stature from Percutaneous Tibial Length
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiti7jjiNfJAhUF2R4KHQ7PDb8QFggqMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.biomedscidirect.com%2Fdownload%2FIJBMRF20121010%2F13%2Festimation_of_stature_from_percutaneous_tibial_length&usg=AFQjCNH9BxarByzdRlw1XB8YFvMNIBoMUQ

A correlational study between stature and percutaneous tibial length in adult males and females of Rajasthan
http://ijbamr.com/pdf/PDF%20DECEMBER%2013%20%2021-26.pdf.pdf
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:09:12 PM by Jerry Germann »

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2015, 01:54:49 PM »

Is anyone planning on going to the NASM on January 11 for the museum walk through?

Karen #2610ER

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2015, 08:16:53 PM »

We know Fred's height but I haven't been able to find a photo of AE and Fred standing up straight exactly shoulder-to-shoulder and visible from feet to head standing on a hard surface.

Here is another head to toe , side by side capture;

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2016, 04:11:43 PM »

Just back from Washington and NASM after a very successful day with Jeff Glickman collecting data for his forensic analysis of Earhart's height.  We had to do our work before the museum opened.  We were in at 8:00 and out by 9:30.  Aeronautics Curator Dorothy Cochrane was a gracious and helpful hostess throughout, allowing us the access we needed while insuring that no harm came to the Vega (at no time did we touch the aircraft).  Jeff used a new, state-of-the-art, 50 megapixel Leica to take the photos he needs for comparison to the historical photos.  My job was to hold the graduated stick for scale - a task well-suited to my level of expertise. 
A significant side-benefit to our visit, from my perspective, was the opportunity to spend some time with Dorothy and chat about our mutual interest in Amelia Earhart. We did not discuss the disappearance except to agree that Amelia should have paid more attention to the technical aspects of the flight. Dorothy offered to help track down the Carl B. Allen manuscript I mentioned in the Radios for the Second Attempt thread.

Later we met up with TIGHAR researcher Karen Hoy for a walk through the museum.
When Jeff has finished his report he'll run it by NASM and we'll discuss permission to publish some of the photos he took to illustrate his methodology.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:13:37 PM by Ric Gillespie »

Todd Attebery

• T1
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2016, 09:07:58 AM »

I did some searching to find software that would allow photos to be manipulated in 3D.   I just wanted to share with the forum.  Though it's not intended for analysis,  Blender allows you to quickly create reasonably accurate 3D models and then create virtual images (and movies) from specific camera angles.   It's free to download and there are tutorials for creating virtual aircraft.  Anyone can create a virtual Amelia  (whose parts can be measured), Vegas, and Electras to recreate a lot of these photos.   For what it's worth...

https://www.blender.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu9J0D6ebVw

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2016, 02:54:05 PM »

Jeff Glickman has finished his forensic analysis of Earhart's height. Because his analysis is based upon photos we took of the Earhart Vega in Washington on January 11, 2016, NASM asked to see Jeff's report before we publish it.  Jeff sent his report to NASM today. As soon as we have NASM's okay, we'll put the report up on the TIGHAR website.
In the meantime, I can tell you that Jeff calculated Amelia's height to be 5' 7" with a margin of error + - 3/8ths of an inch. That margin of error assumes errors in a combination of several possible variables but Jeff feels that the actual likely margin of error is more like 1/8 inch.

So Amelia was a bit shorter than the 5'8" listed on her pilot's license and her actual height was in line with the 5'6' to 5'7" estimate Jantz and Burns gave for the height of the castaway in Amelia Earhart's Bones and Shoes?.

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2016, 03:16:08 PM »

Kudos to Jeff, et al, for the hard work!  I look forward to reading this report!
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2016, 12:50:21 PM »

I'm looking forward to reading Jeff's report with great interest. As far as NASM reviewing it, is that just to check on picture usage or is more involved?

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2016, 01:29:31 PM »

NASM merely wanted to review the disclaimer Jeff included with his report.  I should be able to post the report here later today.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org