Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Students page  (Read 5105 times)

Mark Gillespie

• T1
Students page
« on: November 15, 2015, 09:21:57 PM »

Hi

As a teacher I have used the Tighar site on a number of occasions when there has been a connection to my lessons. It's great for all sorts of things: as a starter for inquiry activities, logic and reasoning, today I used it as a provocation for reading strategies...  my question is: has a page especially designed for school students been considered? I feel it would be immensely useful, and not just to US students (I teach international kids).

My apologies if this has been discussed before.

cheers
Mark

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
Re: Students page
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 08:03:47 AM »

What would be on the student page?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Students page
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 09:56:51 AM »

has a page especially designed for school students been considered? I feel it would be immensely useful, and not just to US students (I teach international kids).

Thanks for raising this subject. As you have discovered, The Earhart Project is an ideal vehicle for teaching a wide range of subjects and principles - from geography, to meteorology, to mathematics, to history, to critical thinking, to the scientific method of inquiry.
Amelia Earhart is also a popular National History Day project for Middle Schoolers and doing an interview is often one of the requirements. We get dozens of requests and I always make time to do interviews with kids via email, phone, Skype, or in person.  In fact, there are two 14 year-olds scheduled to come here tomorrow to interview me.

We have long struggled to find a way to create a product that will be of value to teachers and students.  At the simplest level we could create a Students' Page on the TIGHAR website with links to a suggested selection of research bulletins, TIGHAR Tracks articles, and historical documents on the website.  (The full 20,000 page archive is pretty daunting.)
What we would really like to do is create a package of digital materials that TIGHAR could market to schools through one of the large purveyors of academic programs such as Scholastic. Something like that would serve TIGHAR's educational purpose and could be an important income stream for the organization.  If anybody out there has contacts in the business please let me know.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org