Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protection for the 'Maid'  (Read 71961 times)

Steve Lyle Gunderson

• TIGHAR member
Protection for the 'Maid'
« on: October 08, 2015, 09:57:27 PM »

Just saw this (https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/p-38-warbird-7500-grant-to-protect-gwynedd-site-of-crashed-wwii-aircraft.html) posted on the Aviation Archaeology site.
I apologize for the pasted link but the Hyperlink button doesn't want to work for me tonight.
Steve G
#3911R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Re: Protection for the 'Maid'
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 05:58:12 AM »

Interesting, and very encouraging.

I'm curious, though, where this leaves TIGHAR's involvement in this aircraft. Is it perhaps time to turn this one over to the government and rededicate available resources?

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 07:30:34 PM »

I'm not sure it's ethical for TIGHAR to keep accepting donations for a "project" that is now falling under the purview of the local government. Unless there is something going on behind the scenes that we have not been updated about. And even then ... this would be a good opportunity to look at how TIGHAR allocates its always too-few resources.

LTM,

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 11:22:19 AM »

£7500 isn't going to provide much protection from either the sea, storms, or from trophy hunters, but it is a start.  Staying buried in the sand seems to have done the best job of protecting it for quite some time.

One of the big issues with this aircraft is that it lies in the intertidal zone between a marine ecological sanctuary, and a landward ecological sanctuary, so any attempt at removing it will be especially delicate.

I don't see that any government is taking it under their purview, only that there is a small grant to try to provide some protection while nothing else is happening.  It is unfortunate that no institution is willing to step up and provide for its immediate conservation, and long term care and feeding.  Everybody wants it, but they all want someone else to do the hard work. 

By now, it is back under the sand awaiting the next set of conditions that result in it surfacing.  My prediction is that we'll see it again in the spring of 2021.

Andrew

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 01:32:41 PM »

All valid points, Andrew. My point is, is it ethical and proper for TIGHAR to continue to actively solicit money for this? It would appear that our involvement in this is going to be, at best, very minimal for the foreseeable future, so wouldn't it be more prudent to channel available resources into projects and activities that are actually moving forward?

Niku IX is supposedly in the preliminary planning stages, and is set for mid-2017. It seems to me that the majority of TIGHAR's time, money and effort would be better focused on that since it is an active project.

LTM,

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:32:12 AM by Monty Fowler »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 08:19:14 AM »

My point is, is it ethical and proper for TIGHAR to continue to actively solicit money for this?
resources into projects and activities that are actually moving forward?

My apologies for not responding sooner.  I've been so focused on getting the Forum restructured and the Earhart Master Timeline designed and running that I haven't looked at this section for several weeks. Because of that, for this one time, I'm going to ignore the insulting assumption behind your question.

TIGHAR remains engaged in the effort to recover and conserve The Maid of Harlech. A UK TIGHAR member is, in fact, the prime mover in saving the aircraft. As Andrew says, protecting the Maid from looters until the stars align is, in part, a regulatory challenge that the CADU grant will help to address but the biggest factor is nature.  The aircraft was actually exposed for over a year before the sand returned to hide it, but because we kept our mouths shut the looters never knew about it.
If and when the time comes to mobilize a recovery we'll be aggressive in our fundraising. For now, the costs of monitoring and advising are minimal and we haven't been pushing for donations.  It has been years since we received a donation earmarked for the Maid, and that's fine.  The things that need to happen next need to happen quietly so forgive me if I do not explain it all to you.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:28:43 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 06:30:59 AM »

Headline from the BBC, Harlech crash site: WW2 aircraft given protected status

good news

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-50375275?fbclid=IwAR2Ox_bh1k8BZ1t0J7qScf0MoqqRoaxXAFfkQR6wkb_5d_IM61abqUTx51k

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 07:09:11 AM »

Very good news.  Since our initial survey in 2007, TIGHAR member Matt Rimmer has campaigned long and hard to get legal protection for the Maid. 

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 02:17:21 PM »

It is nice to have some good news about preserving something. As you know, when you are involved in historic preservation you have to get used to having your heart broken a lot.

LTM,
Don

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 10:30:37 AM »

Back in 2016 I made the following prediction:

By now, it is back under the sand awaiting the next set of conditions that result in it surfacing.  My prediction is that we'll see it again in the spring of 2021.

Andrew

Matt R

Any sign of the Maid this year?  Might be time to go have a peek.

She revealed herself in 2007, and again in 2014.  If that represents some sort of 7 year cycle, 2021 should be an interesting year.

Andrew

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 10:39:36 AM »

I have heard nothing about it since it was protected, it may be a good thing as some have the pandemic shutdowns as a chance to strip other similar wrecks.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9706445/Pictured-man-wanted-police-looter-stripped-WWII-Flying-Fortress.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org