Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Malar and Zygoma Bones  (Read 19039 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Malar and Zygoma Bones
« on: May 20, 2015, 12:40:33 AM »

I have today examined a collection of bones forming part of a human skeleton. These bones were delivered to me in a closed wooden box by Mr. P. D. Macdonald of the Western Pacific High Commission.
    2. The bones included:- (1) a skull with the right zygoma and malar bones broken off: (2) mandible with only four teeth in position; (3) part of the right scapula; (4) the first thoracic vertebra; 5) portion of a rib (? 2nd right rib); (6) left humerus; 7) right radius; (8) right innominate bone; (9) right femur; (10) left femur; (11) right tibia; (12) right fibula; and (13) the right scaphoid bone of the foot.
    3. From this list it is seen that less than half of the total skeleton is available for examination.
    4. All these bones are very weather-beaten and have been exposed to the open air for a considerable time. Except in one or two small areas all traces of muscular attachments and the various ridges and prominences have been obliterated    I have today examined a collection of bones forming part of a human skeleton. These bones were delivered to me in a closed wooden box by Mr. P. D. Macdonald of the Western Pacific High Commission.
    2. The bones included:- (1) a skull with the right zygoma and malar bones broken off: (2) mandible with only four teeth in position; (3) part of the right scapula; (4) the first thoracic vertebra; 5) portion of a rib (? 2nd right rib); (6) left humerus; 7) right radius; (8) right innominate bone; (9) right femur; (10) left femur; (11) right tibia; (12) right fibula; and (13) the right scaphoid bone of the foot.
    3. From this list it is seen that less than half of the total skeleton is available for examination.
    4. All these bones are very weather-beaten and have been exposed to the open air for a considerable time. Except in one or two small areas all traces of muscular attachments and the various ridges and prominences have been obliterated.

Ric, Jeff, Martin, and Dr. King....I have a few questions to ask you in regards to the skull found back in the 40's. I am asking these questions in regards to the malar and zygoma bones of this particular skull that were found broken as indicated above.

1. Dr. King....With your expertise in paleontology and bones, and stuff...what would you tell me is the strongest...a womans skull, and bone features or a man's skull and bone features? After doing research on these two particular bones I found it very interesting as it mentioned that these are the strongest parts of the skull. In order for these particular bones to be shattered or broken, it would take a major accident or a violent assault to the skull for these to break.

2. Why did they wait so long to reexhume the skull after burying it? (6 months)

3. After reading the article on malar and zygoma bones, it talked about how someone that had these particular bones broken would suffer not being able to eat for days because of the injury. If this is the case, then Amelia or Fred (if still alive)...wouldn't have had this happen until after the plane went into the water. Afterall, she made several radio distress calls along her journey to Howland Island. I envision seeing either Amelia or Fred suffering greatly in the days and nights to follow. With this happening...I don't see them lasting long at all!!!

4. It was also mentioned that Amelia and Fred couldnt penetrate part of the jungle because of the massive tropical growth. I see that not happening, because growing up I was constantly reminded if you can't go through something...go around it! If I know Amelia...the Kansas girl that she is would have investigated the growth and most likely would have taken the long road home by walking completely around. Anyway, interested  in the days and nights to come. Sounds very exciting! Anyway, let me know...thanks!

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Malar and Zygoma Bones
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 11:55:03 AM »

"2. The bones included:- (1) a skull with the right zygoma and malar bones broken off"

1. Dr. King....With your expertise in paleontology and bones, and stuff...what would you tell me is the strongest...a womans skull, and bone features or a man's skull and bone features? After doing research on these two particular bones I found it very interesting as it mentioned that these are the strongest parts of the skull. In order for these particular bones to be shattered or broken, it would take a major accident or a violent assault to the skull for these to break.

Dr. King doesn't hang out here, as far as I know.  He posts sporadically on "Amelia Earhart Archaeology."

2. Why did they wait so long to reexhume the skull after burying it? (6 months)

It's not the same "they."

Natives found the bones and buried the skull.

Gallagher led the exhumation party.

Here is the chronology of the bones.  I don't remember anything in the material that suggests that they felt it was a long wait from the first discovery to the exhumation.

4. It was also mentioned that Amelia and Fred couldnt penetrate part of the jungle because of the massive tropical growth. I see that not happening, because growing up I was constantly reminded if you can't go through something...go around it! If I know Amelia...the Kansas girl that she is would have investigated the growth and most likely would have taken the long road home by walking completely around.

TIGHAR's Niku Hypothesis, as it currently stands, is that they landed near the Norwich City, off Nutiran.  One or the other or both then seem to have lived and died at the Seven site in Aurkarime North.  See "Place Names on Nikumaroro" to grasp the distance between one place and the other.  If the person who left their bones at or near the Seven Site was from the plane, and if the plane landed near the Norwich City, then the person found a way around the island that worked for them.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 09:07:11 PM »

Randy

Dr. King doesn't follow the Forum, but as Marty points out you can contact him through his blog.

Certainly there is someone out there who can answer the question about the strength of the male vs female skull.  It is an interesting question, and it begs the further question of how and when the separation of the zygoma and malar bones occurred, before or after the death of the castaway.  One could imagine that injuries sustained during a controlled but violent landing in the aircraft might result in such an injury, but so to perhaps the bone breakage occurred after the castaway expired.  We don't know what kind of damage may have been sustained by the skull before discovery, during the burial, during the exhumation, or during transport.

I think Marty addressed the lag between discovery and digging up the skull, Gallaher probably didn't know about it for some time after it had been buried.

Broken skull bones or not, Niku would be a hard place to survive for any length of time.  I don't see that they were alive for long, there just isn't enough water.  Certainly a broken Zygoma and Malar would shorten their potential longevity, and yes, it would have been miserable.

As for going around vs through the scaevola, it is certainly easier to go around, but you may not ever get to the place you wanted to get to.  To some degree, the going around strategy could result in ending up at the 7 site from Nutiran since the easiest thing to do is walk around on the beach.  From personal experience, going through the bush is hard, but may be the only way to go if you want to get away from the beach.  Since there isn't any fresh water at the beach, I imagine that at some point they would have had to attempt to get inland, through the bush, to see if there were any sources of fresh water.

All is just speculation, but interesting to noodle.

Andrew

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 06:40:37 PM »

Andrew....thanks for the reply.....The other night when I was captivated by
these two type of skull bones....I did some research and
found out they are used for chewing? So the question is were these broken
At the time of the the incident.....or sometime after death. Another question I have
is do coconut crabs have the capability to break apart a fully intact skull?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:45:56 PM by Randy Conrad »

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »

Andrew....thanks for the reply.....The other night when I was captivated by
these two type of skull bones....I did some research and
found out they are used for chewing? So the question is were these broken
At the time of the the incident.....or sometime after death. Another question I have
is do snow crabs have the capability to break apart a fully intact skull?

Snow crabs don't exist in the south pacific. Coconut crabs do, however.  Snow crabs are marine animals. Coconut crabs are terrestrial (at least in adulthood)  As far as whether they could crack a skull, Ive seen video of them snapping a stick so I think it might be possible. Im not volunteering to find out!

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 10:47:09 PM »

Krystal...thanks for correcting me! To me a crab is a crab! Anyway, must had seafood on my mind!

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 12:35:36 AM »

To me a crab is a crab! Anyway, must had seafood on my mind!

Yeah, when I see pictures of those things, Im usually thinking "What? No butter? And where is the wine?"

In all seriousness, if you look at the shape of the bones, and where they are placed in relation to the rest of the skull, the Zygoma is "attached" at the eye socket, sort of like a bridge and therefore could be weaker than other parts of the skull. (I am by no means a medical professional nor am I an anthropologist who knows ANYTHING about bones. I am just speculating)   I wonder if a hard landing on what amounts to a big, flat, pothole might generate enough force to send someone flying forward and into a stationary object, say an instrument panel, and possibly fracturing it?   Arent there reports in the alleged post-loss radio recordings that a certain navigator had suffered a bad head injury?   Curious.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 03:30:51 AM »

Yeah, when I see pictures of those things, Im usually thinking "What? No butter? And where is the wine?"

Some "pictures of those things" available here.   :)

Truly amazing ...
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 08:32:15 AM »

3. After reading the article on malar and zygoma bones, it talked about how someone that had these particular bones broken would suffer not being able to eat for days because of the injury. If this is the case, then Amelia or Fred (if still alive)...wouldn't have had this happen until after the plane went into the water. Afterall, she made several radio distress calls along her journey to Howland Island. I envision seeing either Amelia or Fred suffering greatly in the days and nights to follow. With this happening...I don't see them lasting long at all!!!

Randy, it is presumed that the damage to the skull occurred  AFTER the body was skeleton-ized.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »

Like Krystal made the comment...I'm no expert here, but found it very interesting the other night when I was going through the website and stumbled upon the document talking about the bones found on the island. I'll be honest Martin...I was misunderstood on who actually found the bones first...cause technically I presumed it to be Gallagher's team that found them in the first place. Anyway, getting back to the skull Ric...the article I read the other night talking about the Malar and Zycoma bones made it sound like that this is the strongest area of the skull. But, you probably are right in regards to damage done after death...Another factor I just now thought of is HEAT! Would heat reduce the composition structure of a skull or bones in general? Anyway, its an interesting forum topic and yes Krystal....tartar sauce and cocktail sauce sounds good with a little wine during this holiday weekend! Anyway, have an awesome Memorial Day weekend folks...and God Bless each and everyone of you that has served in our armed forces. Especially, those of you who are past war veterans! Thanks!!!!

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 09:57:18 AM »

Like Krystal made the comment...I'm no expert here, but found it very interesting the other night when I was going through the website and stumbled upon the document talking about the bones found on the island.

There are a lot of documents about the bones found on Nikumaroro.

When folks are done with those, they can see what TIGHAR has found about other things collected by Gallagher near where the bones were found.

I'll be honest Martin...I was misunderstood on who actually found the bones first...cause technically I presumed it to be Gallagher's team that found them in the first place.

Ah.  OK.  Now you know "the rest of the story" (tm Paul Harvey).  :)

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Beachcomber

• T1
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 05:23:31 PM »

A quick note, Gallagher was a medical student at one time, yes?  that would give him some ability to assess the bones as to gender, perhaps.  Was any note made of a hole in the sinus of the skull?  Didn't Amelia have such a hole drilled to relieve her chronic sinusitis?

My first post, so plz excuse any errors, thank you all, Beachcomber

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 08:28:44 PM »

A quick note, Gallagher was a medical student at one time, yes? 

Yes.

"Gallagher of Nikumaroro":

Born July 6th, 1912, Gerald was the son of Gerald Hugh Gallagher, a doctor in the West African Medical Service, and Edith Gallagher. He attended Stonyhurst College, Cambridge University (Downing College, where he rowed crew), and St. Bartholomew's Hospital Medical School before joining the Colonial Administrative Service in 1936. At the time of his application for appointment in the Service, he was “studying agriculture on farm with Mr. G. Butler, Maiden Hall, Bennets Bridge, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland.”
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 09:50:15 AM »

Gallagher, it turns out, was involved in the discovery of a human skeleton on the island in 1940, which may well have been Earhart’s. (quote from Thomas King).
Martin....this is where it becomes confusing to some of us! This is one of the reasons I was led to believe that Gallagher found the bones in the first place.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 01:37:11 PM »

Gallagher, it turns out, was involved in the discovery of a human skeleton on the island in 1940, which may well have been Earhart’s. (quote from Thomas King).

Martin....this is where it becomes confusing to some of us! This is one of the reasons I was led to believe that Gallagher found the bones in the first place.

Gallagher was involved in the discovery of a skeleton.

Native workers found the skull and buried it.

Gallagher speculated it might be Earhart.

His superiors told him to do a thorough search.

He exhumed the skull, then found more bones and other items.

All of this is clearly outlined in the "Bones Chronology."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org