Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Other People's Bones  (Read 13086 times)

Frank Hajnal

• T1
Other People's Bones
« on: February 14, 2015, 02:29:44 PM »

Preponderance of Evidence #16 on the Tighar Facebook page refers to shoe parts Tighar discovered while excavating what turned out to be a child’s grave on Niku.  I imagine that this child was not the only colonist to die on Niku, but I don’t recall seeing anything about other colonist grave sites on Nikumaroro.  Does Tighar know of any other colonist graves on the island?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Other People's Bones
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 03:30:49 PM »

Preponderance of Evidence #16 on the Tighar Facebook page refers to shoe parts Tighar discovered while excavating what turned out to be a child’s grave on Niku.  I imagine that this child was not the only colonist to die on Niku, but I don’t recall seeing anything about other colonist grave sites on Nikumaroro.  Does Tighar know of any other colonist graves on the island?

Here is a site-specific Google search that shows 132 mentions of "graves" on the TIGHAR website.

To do the site-specific search, I followed the link up at the top of every screen on the Forum that is under the tab that says "Search TIGHAR."  The magic Google box is in the middle of the methods suggested for finding your way through the mass of information TIGHAR has collected in ... 26 years of researching the history of Niku.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
Re: Other People's Bones
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »

It's an old question. Using the TIGHAR Search facility with the keyword "cemetery," I quickly found that someone on the old TIGHAR Forum in 1999 had asked whether the colonists had a regular cemetery somewhere on the island.

The answer from the forum moderator that day was detailed:
It is the cultural norm in the Pacific (you see it in Fiji as well as on Niku and so on) to bury relatives on the family property. In the yard, IOW. So each plot of land on Niku generally has one to several grave sites on it. These are very organized, very formal, burials. They all look alike, and are clearly what they are even all these years later. So no, no cemetery as we know cemeteries, but defined burials with all honor given.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org