Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Dust cover and cover plate (Richard Spink, Mili Atoll)  (Read 260470 times)

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
Re: Dust cover and cover plate (Richard Spink, Mili Atoll)
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2014, 10:19:26 PM »

Andrew,

This story; http://earhartonsaipan.blogspot.com/ , I admit is a bit confusing to follow. Two things.....First , the gentlemen who found this artifact say they know what it is, they say they know where it fits....looking at the first photo of the gentlemen with the artifact and hub on the table, one sees that they place it on the smaller 8" outboard end of the hub. Are They correct? I am not 100% sure , but I believe they are.
Now comes a monkey wrench and I can see how the article becomes confusing; Farther down in the story, they post a picture of the inboard brake assembly, and state that the dust cover fits between the brake assembly unit and the wheel ,... sounds like it should go right in between the disks pictured and the outboard hub....if that is true, would that dust cover be 12" or a bit smaller in diameter? I can not say that a placement of a dust shield in there somewhere wouldn't be a bad idea....maybe someone at Lockheed Goodyear says, lets stop brake dust from entering the wheel bearing on the inboard side and traveling along the axle to the outboard side and contaminating the entire assembly.

Question.....would the gentleman who sourced the image of the hub , be able to help us?
Does he or anyone else have that catalog?

Earhart’s 10E Special NR16020 featured Goodyear Airwheels. TIGHAR collection courtesy W. Larkins

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wheel+of+fortune+tighar&qpvt=wheel+of+fortune+tighar&qpvt=wheel+of+fortune+tighar&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=AE837DBDC3092D2E9D6EADDB184409B9B9CF5080&selectedIndex=2
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 11:44:45 AM by Jerry Germann »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2014, 07:22:33 AM »

This is a pretty good view of the larger inboard brake side of the hub;

"http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/muledeer5/media/brakeassemblytwonotethefourbolts_zps74265162.jpg.html"

It looks like a cover from afar, ( inserted in working position , even more so), however; it is part of the hydraulic brake assembly.

Yes, that is a very good image.  I don't see any place for a dust cover (hub cap) on that side of the wheel.  The multiple discs that spin with the wheel have notches that slide into the grooves in the wheel's hub.  There is no way to add a dust cover inside that part of the system; the part that is fixed to the axle contains the hydraulics that would drive the braking mechanism; and the outside plate of that mechanism is sufficient to keep airfield dust out of the system.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2014, 08:55:45 AM »

My thought is (viewing the gentlemen around the table) is; ....they believe what they discovered fits on the small outboard end of the hub. As Ric pointed out earlier in the thread , ...there are a lot of variations in hubs ,....what was on her plane when she left lae would be the important issue , as to whether their cover would fit on her Electra wheels or not. The object they have appears to be the correct size, shape, has the center hole, etc......I haven't seen a report as to how many attaching screws they believe their cover seems to have , however the way I view their cover , it appears that there would be a four (4),screw....+ pattern, https://earharttruth.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/spink-donut2.png  .....,I assume their hub has the same count, ....How many attaching points did earharts electra wheels have? If it can be established that they had only three (3) , ( I think so), http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b631/muledeer5/Richie/86cb2b87-06ab-4c97-a7ac-4d78c9c163a5_zpsd10946ef.jpg  ,it would be an important point.

Images of cover plates ;

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mocZL5XyHFGDWfhn4G7I0UA.jpg
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mdh7hfL4SeSCEAx77Ye9lGw.jpg
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:05:32 AM by Jerry Germann »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2014, 09:37:24 AM »

My thought is (viewing the gentlemen around the table) is; ....they believe what they discovered fits on the small outboard end of the hub.

That's certainly what the photo of them, a hub, and the cover plate suggests

In that case, it's a hub cap, and should appear in photos during the flight.

But, as you note above, the text and the other photo suggest it is mounted between the wheel and the brake assembly.  In that case, photos are not ever going to reveal it, because it is not visible when the wheel is mounted on the axle.

I guess they'll just have to go get some samples from Goodyear airwheels to show what they've got.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2014, 09:38:04 AM »

Maybe I missed it, but has anybody produced any documentation to show that there is any such thing as a "dust cover" for Goodyear Airwheels?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2014, 09:46:07 AM »

Maybe I missed it, but has anybody produced any documentation to show that there is any such thing as a "dust cover" for Goodyear Airwheels?

Andrew referred to the Luke Field Inventory, sheet #3, item 62: "1 Ea. Cover Plates for wheels."

Would there be some other kind of "cover plate" involved in the landing gear system?
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:47:55 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2014, 10:08:58 AM »

Nope.  Here's a pic of another "10" with the same wheels.  This shows both mains in one shot. 
Brake assembly on inside and nothing on outside.  I have only seen dust covers on versions of main gear with only outside "fork" where it is easliy removed without taking the entire wheel off...as you would have to do with AE's Electra because of the two sided "fork". 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2014, 10:10:01 AM »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2014, 10:15:42 AM »

Would there be some other kind of "cover plate" involved in the landing gear system?

Yes.  Lockheed Engineering Drawing 40409 shows "Cover Plate Surface Controls Wheel Shaft Housing".  I'm not sure where it goes but it's a skinny rectangular plate about 9 inches long by about 2 inches wide that looks nothing like the thing represented to be a "dust cover."   There are no other "cover plates" or "dust covers" listed among the 2,000 or so drawings.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »

Nope.  Here's a pic of another "10" with the same wheels.  This shows both mains in one shot. 
Brake assembly on inside and nothing on outside.  I have only seen dust covers on versions of main gear with only outside "fork" where it is easliy removed without taking the entire wheel off...as you would have to do with AE's Electra because of the two sided "fork". 

Here is an image of the ones used on lighter craft;

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1930-Goodyear-Airwheels-Akron-OH-Ad-Safe-Landings-Where-Ships-Never-Dared-Land-/231366373455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35de82b04f

The article makes mention they are available for larger craft as well, and mentions that the entire hub/brake /assembly, etc is manufactured by Goodyear.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 11:50:42 AM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2014, 12:26:13 PM »

Here is an interesting manual;

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/aircraft/usa/lockheed/model-14-super-electra/lockheed-14-super-electra-service-manual.html

It includes the landing gear ( though a different version of than the 10E) , and explains how things work inside the hub.....page 89 shows the brake and it's components , it does show a dust shield, however; unlike the one the barre atoll people are speaking about. It looks as if it designed to hold out the elements from reaching the brake disks, and may be rubber or synthetic material.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:20:33 PM by Jerry Germann »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2014, 02:48:26 PM »

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/aircraft/usa/lockheed/model-14-super-electra/lockheed-14-super-electra-service-manual.html

It includes the landing gear ( though a different version of the 10E) and explains how things work inside the hub.....page 89 shows the brake and its components , it does show a dust shield, however; unlike the one the barre atoll people are speaking about. It looks as if it designed to hold out the elements from reaching the brake disks, and may be rubber or synthetic material.

Great find!

I think it also explains how the "multi-disc" braking system worked.

Both the rotating and the fixed elements are free to slide in and out on the keys.

The braking must have been accomplished by pressing all the plates together, making the plates slide on their respective keyed hubs and producing friction between the rotating bronze disks and the fixed steel disks.  When pressure is released, the discs space themselves back out and the wheels turn freely again.

Very elegant!

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2014, 03:10:49 PM »

Here is an image of the ones used on lighter craft;

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1930-Goodyear-Airwheels-Akron-OH-Ad-Safe-Landings-Where-Ships-Never-Dared-Land-/231366373455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35de82b04f

The article makes mention they are available for larger craft as well, and mentions that the entire hub/brake /assembly, etc is manufactured by Goodyear.

"A ground loop is almost impossible with Airwheels even if you try."  ::)

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2014, 03:42:04 PM »

It includes the landing gear ( though a different version of the 10E) and explains how things work inside the hub.....

The Model 14 is a completely different airplane than the Modl 10.  The military version was the Lockheed Hudson.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2014, 04:43:45 PM »

It includes the landing gear ( though a different version of the 10E) and explains how things work inside the hub.....

The Model 14 is a completely different airplane than the Modl 10.  The military version was the Lockheed Hudson.

You're right, ... I meant to say it that way ...slip of the old tongue, I can see how it changed the sentence meaning entirely. ....
Here is an interesting manual;

It includes the landing gear ( though a different version of than the 10E) , and explains how things work inside the hub.....page 89 shows the brake and it's components , it does show a dust shield, however; unlike the one the barre atoll people are speaking about. It looks as if it designed to hold out the elements from reaching the brake disks, and may be rubber or synthetic material.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:10:17 PM by Jerry Germann »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org