Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Bead-dazzled  (Read 85307 times)

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
Re: Bead-dazzled
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2015, 11:55:04 AM »

Yes, you're right of course, and I didn't mean to sound like I was critisizing anybody. Its usage and origin would be very interesting and help determine who the beads belonged to. I'm hoping someone can find a picture or direct reference to Amelia's use of beads of this kind, but I don't think that would be any easier now that I think about it. The most likely of the existing possibilities, in my mind, is the fishing stopper, or trading piece, as some one suggested already. We know its very light in weight, small and durable with a hole in it!
Bob S.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »

The technology for glass beadmaking is among the oldest human arts, dating back 3,000 years (Dubin, 1987).[citation needed] Glass beads have been dated back to at least Roman times. Perhaps the earliest glass-like beads were Egyptian faience beads, a form of clay bead with a self-forming vitreous coating. Glass beads are significant in archaeology because the presence of glass beads often indicate that there was trade and that the beadmaking technology was being spread. In addition, the composition of the glass beads could be analyzed and help archaeologists understand the sources of the beads.[1]
The above is a copy of the first  paragraph in Wikopedia under the subject of beadmaking. There is a large article here pertaining to glass bead manufacturing and there must be a lot more on other types of beads and their manufacture. Really interesting!
Bob S.

Margaret Sanders

• T1
  • Just a regular girl here!
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »

Oh, no, I didn't feel like it was a criticism at all! I hope I didn't sound defensive because I didn't mean to. I took what you said as a helpful reminder of the importance of considering things in relation to A.E., which is useful when you're just getting your toes wet here.

Funny how a tiny bead can signify the tip of a huge, beaded iceberg. I, too, have been searching the internet for relevant material (I want to read the Wiki article in-depth; looks interesting) and have come up with a question. I wonder if Ric and the others would consider splitting the bead to determine its properties. Then we could maybe get an idea of where in the world it might be likely to come from (or to NOT have come from).

I do believe the most likely theory is that it is a trade bead but can't help being intrigued by other ideas.

I think from here on out it will be useless trying to resist the urge to squint at each picture of Amelia, hoping to see beads!

I'm no expert; just happy to be here.👀
#4777A

Margaret Sanders

• T1
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2015, 01:22:34 PM »

I was looking at Amelia in the Lae video to see if she was wearing any jewelry that could be attributed to this bead. At first I didn't see anything.

I thought that was the end of it until I realized that the 'scarf' she has around her neck is not actually tied around her neck. It looks to be tied to a necklace.
#4777A

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:24:55 PM by Margaret Sanders »

Margaret Sanders

• T1
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2015, 01:31:27 PM »

Re: Stacy's quote above. Not sure where AE was here but apparently she did something similar in this picture, unless this is indeed a graphic on the scarf:
#4777A

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2015, 01:45:50 PM »

I shall have to consult with my scarf expert, me being male and all.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Margaret Sanders

• T1
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »

Pro Tip, Monty: Always make sure the scarf brings out your eyes! ;)

Edited because I don' get names right without a recent cup of coffee!
#4777A

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:21:02 PM by Margaret Sanders »

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2015, 06:05:05 PM »

Forgive me if any of this has been discussed in other parts of the forum, but regarding the bead: did Amelia wear earrings? Speaking from experience, I'm not sure I would consider including earrings in any kind of (previous) inventory list, or even think about them at all in context of travel or lightening a load. Any fasteners or metal used for the earrings may have corroded or washed away (or been used for more fishing tackle?).

Another theory which I'm sure has crossed everyone's mind is that it may have been a keepsake from home for any number of people who stayed on the island, or a souvenir purchsed in a sailor's travels.

Be gentle; I've lurked for ages but this is my first post.😕

:) I looked for earrings too. And, like you, it does have me searching other photos of Amelia to see what kind of jewelry she wears :)

I was wondering if the difference in the diameter of the holes is due to it being 'hand punched'? I don't know if that's the right word for jewelry, but I'm thinking of a needle being pushed through the bead to make the hole... the pointy end would leave a narrower second hole than where it was shoved through the first hole. Does that make sense?

Maybe they will find more beads on this Niku expedition :)

TIGHAR #4284R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2015, 06:31:01 PM »

Maybe they will find more beads on this Niku expedition :)

It would be wonderful but ... probably not. The bead was found at the Seven Site, on the far end of the island from where the ground search is concentrating this year, and as I understand it, the cruise ship passengers are going to stay on that end of the island also. But serendipity is always a wonderful thing.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2015, 07:58:04 PM »

Hear is another article on how to identify vintage beads:
Bob S.

Margaret Sanders

• T1
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2015, 09:23:26 PM »

Forgive me if any of this has been discussed in other parts of the forum, but regarding the bead: did Amelia wear earrings? Speaking from experience, I'm not sure I would consider including earrings in any kind of (previous) inventory list, or even think about them at all in context of travel or lightening a load. Any fasteners or metal used for the earrings may have corroded or washed away (or been used for more fishing tackle?).

Another theory which I'm sure has crossed everyone's mind is that it may have been a keepsake from home for any number of people who stayed on the island, or a souvenir purchsed in a sailor's travels.

Be gentle; I've lurked for ages but this is my first post.😕

:) I looked for earrings too. And, like you, it does have me searching other photos of Amelia to see what kind of jewelry she wears :)

I was wondering if the difference in the diameter of the holes is due to it being 'hand punched'? I don't know if that's the right word for jewelry, but I'm thinking of a needle being pushed through the bead to make the hole... the pointy end would leave a narrower second hole than where it was shoved through the first hole. Does that make sense?
#4777A

Margaret Sanders

• T1
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2015, 09:30:11 PM »

Sorry, still working on getting the hang of quote boxes, etc.!

To my dismay, I haven't seen any pics of AE with earrings. Have you had any luck, Stacy? :'(

The way you describe the possible reason for the hole diameter difference is exactly what I thought, too. It's consistent with the little research on handmade beads I've seen.

Here's to computer screens and magnifying glasses!
#4777A

Margaret Sanders

• T1
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2015, 10:05:33 PM »

In regards to the trade bead theory, I understand the Bushnell men did some trading with the people on the island, although I think the Bushnell papers state the ideal place to stop the ship was some distance from the seven site.
#4777A

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2015, 12:22:18 PM »

Sorry, still working on getting the hang of quote boxes, etc.!

To my dismay, I haven't seen any pics of AE with earrings. Have you had any luck, Stacy? :'(

The way you describe the possible reason for the hole diameter difference is exactly what I thought, too. It's consistent with the little research on handmade beads I've seen.

Here's to computer screens and magnifying glasses!

No luck with any earrings... the earrings back then would have been the old-style 'clip-on' as pierced ears weren't an 'American'  thing until the late 50s. Not saying Amelia wouldn't have done such a thing anyway :) but for now, I haven't seen any sign of her wearing earrings with her flying outfits.

If the bead is Amelia's then I would go with it coming from a bracelet, necklace, or some other ornamentation (a button, a bead from a shirt, an ornament on her knife or an ornament from some unknown gift).

She wasn't wearing a bracelet in her last photo, but she was wearing a watch. Again, no sign of earrings, though.

A bead like that seems more likely to come from a woman rather than a man, but as Jeff pointed out they were also used for fishing.

I also thought about what the Coast Guard (who were stationed on Niku) might be doing with such a bead. That gets into all sorts of scenarios such as a guy keeping a string of beads as a memento of his gal, or any number of other situations.

Please update if you find anything :) And I'll keep looking too...
TIGHAR #4284R

Margaret Sanders

• T1
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2015, 08:06:34 PM »

I read a fascinating excerpt from a book called Pacific Jewelry and Adornment by Neich, et al. It focuses on adornment in Kiribati and similar areas, and while I don't know how much relevant information we can glean from it, it at least illustrates that there was an interest in such things in that region. It's a quick read. I won't link it here because I'm not sure about copyright laws, but I just googled 'Kiribati trade bead' and found an entry for Google Books.
#4777A

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org