Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Bead-dazzled  (Read 85308 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Bead-dazzled
« on: October 12, 2014, 01:28:28 PM »

Latest from Amelia Earhart Archaeology Dr Kings Blog

This little (very little – the scale is in millimeters) red bead was found in 2010 at the Seven Site, a bit upslope from the SL- fire feature.  We’re in the process of determining what it’s made of (I think glass; others thing maybe other things), and are consulting with bead experts about where it might have come from, but I thought I’d put it up here so readers can speculate on it. 

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
Re: Bead-dazzled
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 08:32:58 PM »

Another Question. After "discovering" the pencil stub etc, was an inventory system instituted to ensure that small items didn't get left behind again? Sort of like how mechanics count and number their tools, towels, pens, etc? 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 08:37:24 PM by Krystal McGinty-Carter »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 11:09:17 AM »

Is it possible that the bead could have come from AE's bracelet that she wore on some of her previous flights? I seem to recall reading somewhere that she thought it brought her good luck but I have not been able to find a photo of her wearing the bracelet during the around the world flight.

Below is a picture of her holding the bracelet and showing it to her friend Claudette Colbert. I Found the picture in the Purdue University files but have been unable to find it again since they changed the format of the records.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 11:25:53 AM »

Great find, Woody, and the kind that we need to see if things like this bead are to ever be firmly attached as an Earhart artifact.

Krystal has raised some good points that underscore how vital it is to ensure we don't labor under false provenance.  I do have tremendous confidence in Dr. Tom King and know that he knows such things far better than I ever will - it is one reason that what he shares is so fascinating.  What is very interesting to me is not an artifact here or there of interest so much as the pattern that emerges: so many little things that start to create a mosaic. 

If one watches long enough, and is willing to step back to take in the whole of these things, then a certain statistical significance seems to emerge: how likely that so many pointers would lie in one encampment in this remote place?  Coasties carrying compacts, etc. have all been suggested, but it seems to me that such a fact would have been noticed in that small colony and remarked on in time.  There were other ladies - but how much time at that place, and with that much stuff, and stuff of north American origin?

Then take a walk on around the island, along the coral beaches - and come to the village... we have 2-2-V-1, and a sherd of plexiglass having the oddly same contour and thickness of that of the L10 windows (doesn't fit other known types in the region). 

Take a deep breath and listen to the wind... I'm not telling anyone what to believe, they need to make up their own minds, but it is a very interesting picture.

I hope the bead takes us somewhere, just as I await the Wichita report on 2-2-V-1.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 12:05:24 PM »

Is it possible that the bead could have come from AE's bracelet that she wore on some of her previous flights? I seem to recall reading somewhere that she thought it brought her good luck but I have not been able to find a photo of her wearing the bracelet during the around the world flight.

Below is a picture of her holding the bracelet and showing it to her friend Claudette Colbert. I Found the picture in the Purdue University files but have been unable to find it again since they changed the format of the records.

https://findery.com/AtlasOfTheUnusual/notes/amelia-earharts-lucky-elephant-hoof-bracelet

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 01:10:48 PM »

This bead should be traceable!!  I am not sure how, but having an inventory of AE's jewelry collection would be a big help. 
Who made jewelry with little red glass beads?  Problem is, a lot still in use. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/127333464/70pc-glass-pearl-beads-6mm-blood-red?ref=related-4
TIGHAR Member #4154

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 03:36:50 PM »

Awe she looks so pretty in that photo! Unfortunately, that bracelet is made from an elephant hoof. No beads. Its on display at the birthplace museum in Atchison.

Doug Ledlie

• T2
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 04:18:41 PM »

Possibly a trade bead, hopefully link works

http://books.google.ca/books?id=FeUmL_sSeWkC&pg=PT23&lpg=PT23&dq=red+trade+beads+pacific+islands&source=bl&ots=NU75BpcAg4&sig=XMFgSP6QWRc4hN_WZaNAWDXaHcA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=K048VNCWMM-2yAS-iYDQAw&ved=0CD0Q6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=red%20trade%20beads%20pacific%20islands&f=false

"Bonito lure from Malaita, Solomon Islands made from pearl shell, Turtle shell and red glass trade beads. Collected in between 1883 -1900 by W H Lawrence. E285.Image courtesy Queensland Museum" http://blogs.slq.qld.gov.au/assi/2013/06/03/objects-with-connections/

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 05:44:13 PM by Doug Ledlie »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 04:29:07 PM »

This little (very little – the scale is in millimeters) red bead was found in 2010 at the Seven Site, a bit upslope from the SL- fire feature.  We’re in the process of determining what it’s made of (I think glass; others thing maybe other things), and are consulting with bead experts about where it might have come from, but I thought I’d put it up here so readers can speculate on it. 

I told Tom I'd turn the Forum loose on this.  You bet me to it.

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 05:02:53 PM »

You never know. Amelia traveled through some fun, interesting places. Maybe someone gave her a piece of jewelry, a beaded cloth, or other gift.

Hmmmm.....are things about to get juicy here? .....WAIT!!! *grabs a glass of wine and some popcorn.* Ok. GO!

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 08:35:23 PM »

You never know. Amelia traveled through some fun, interesting places. Maybe someone gave her a piece of jewelry, a beaded cloth, or other gift.

Hmmmm.....are things about to get juicy here? .....WAIT!!! *grabs a glass of wine and some popcorn.* Ok. GO!

She did say she made at least one exception to the pact that she and fred agreed upon....would be hard to argue that she couldn't have taken more ( especially a light object).

Below taken from Oceania;
In Batavia are entrancing treasures for the stranger from the west. Attractive as they wee, we could not weight down the Electra with purchases. To avoid temptation we had a pact to buy nothing at all - shopping must wait for another visit. To this stern rule I made a small exception. It was a sheath knife - a lovely hand-wrought thing bought at a metal worker's little shop.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:55:56 PM by Jerry Germann »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 07:38:36 AM »

Below taken from Oceania;
In Batavia are entrancing treasures for the stranger from the west. Attractive as they wee, we could not weight down the Electra with purchases. To avoid temptation we had a pact to buy nothing at all - shopping must wait for another visit. To this stern rule I made a small exception. It was a sheath knife - a lovely hand-wrought thing bought at a metal worker's little shop.

The quote from Last Flight is:
"In Batavia are entrancing treasures for the stranger from the west. Attractive as they wee, we could not weight down the Electra with purchases. To avoid temptation we had a pact to buy nothing at all - shopping must wait for another visit. To this stern rule I made a small exception. It was a sheath knife – a lovely hand-wrought thing bought at a metal worker’s little shop.  ….. I plotted to wear this Javanese purchase at my belt over the Pacific and then offer it to my favorite Geographer” (J. O. LaGorce of the National Geographic Society)."

It was the possibility that the knife's sheath was adorned with beads that first got Tom King thinking about the bead we found at the Seven Site.  The bead may be a clue that leads us to other evidence.  There should be more beads there if we dig deeper and wider but a bunch of beads - even if they are Javanese - is not going to tell us much.  BUT the observation that AE bought a distinctive hand-wrought sheath knife that she planned to wear on her belt is the important point. It would seem to be just the sort of thing she would keep with her as a castaway.  That distinctive knife may very well be somewhere at the Seven Site and the spot where we found the bead may be a good place to start an intensive search for it.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 09:41:35 AM »

Whatever the bead is, it is man-made, judging by the casting seam (appears like an equator line).

- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 06:19:33 PM »

Any clues as to what its made of? It looks a lot like some clay beads that I have.

*Edited because I really need to do a better job of proofreading before I post.*
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:23:12 PM by Krystal McGinty-Carter »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 06:25:25 PM »

Any clues at to what its made of?

No, but it's very light. Too heavy to be clay I would think, but I don't know.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org