Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little girls still love Amelia  (Read 8059 times)

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
Little girls still love Amelia
« on: October 07, 2014, 08:06:02 PM »

My 9 year old daughter fell in love with Amelia 3 years ago when she announced to me that she was going to be an airline pilot. (That high pitched squeal you year is the sound of my bank account crying in TERROR!)  She has an entire wall of photos of famous "Lady Pilots."  I thought she would grow out of the airline pilot thing but she went on to learn the 24 hour clock, AND can convert it to zulu. She can read text weather, decipher NOTAMS, can identify all of the flight control surfaces, can identify airliners on final over the interstate (I-170 in STL runs right along the thresholds for the 30's)  I didnt make her learn this. She asked me to teach her. This little girl wants to fly! And she has become fascinated with the Earhart project.  When the indiegogo run was going, she and I took this photo to post to my facebook timeline to see if we could get any of my friends to donate. Notice I am wearing a green bracelet.  Elsie made it for me because I had mentioned wanting an elephant hair bracelet but I couldnt afford to get one that was created humanely.  She looked them up in the school library and went into our craft bin and found a piece of nylon clothesline leftover from when I hung a new line in our backyard. She wound it into my "elephant hair" bracelet. I wear it every day.

She was so sad that TIGHAR couldnt get to NIKU this year. She had asked to see the fundraising page every day to see where it had gotten to. I hated having to tell her that the money hadn't been raised.  She asked me again tonight. "Did they get the money yet?"  I explained the predicament to her. So my little baby looked at the bracelet on my wrist and said. "What if I made more of those bracelets? Could we sell them and make the money?"

*Insert mom laughing/crying.*

Just goes to show you, even in this day and age when kids want Ipods, and Ipads, and I-whatevers, and couldn't care less about history, there are still little girls who look to the sky every time they hear an airplane fly overhead and are captivated by something that happened almost 7 decades before they were born!

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
Re: Little girls still love Amelia
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:10:08 PM »

Wow...just saw the "blow up" of that photo.....I didn't realize I had DRYER LINT in my hair!

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:33:51 PM »

Wow...just saw the "blow up" of that photo.....I didn't realize I had DRYER LINT in my hair!

Notice, too, how your daughter has learned Amelia's "Mona Lisa" smile?   :)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 08:38:14 PM »

She has crooked teeth. She smiles with her mouth closed unless I can get her to laugh and can catch her off guard!

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 12:13:02 PM »

She has crooked teeth. She smiles with her mouth closed unless I can get her to laugh and can catch her off guard!

Charming mom and daughter - and what a joy that she has those interests!  Yes, that is rare in this world today, and refreshing!
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Paul March

• T1
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 01:47:07 PM »

Thank you Elsie and Krystal... That story is wonderful, important and needed.

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 02:26:55 PM »

Thank YOU guys for heading up such an awesome group and for all the hard work everyone has put in over the years.

I have two daughters. I was brought up around aviation. Ive worked in aviation all of their lives. They're grandpa was a pilot (He signed my first flight certificate) , my great uncle was a pilot.  It didnt come as any surprise that at least one of my little one got bitten too.  My little girl is going to be a rock star.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org