Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Malaysian Airlines Flight 17  (Read 20140 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Malaysian Airlines Flight 17
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:45:46 AM »

A Malaysian airliner with 295 people on board has crashed in Ukraine on a flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, amid allegations it was shot down.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28354856
This must be the place

Paul March

• T1
Re: Malaysian Airlines Flight 17
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 11:15:49 AM »

Horrible news... May they rest in peace.

Brian Ainslie

• T1
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:36:25 AM »

Forgive my ignorance, but why would a flight path go right over a known war zone? I realize it is becoming increasingly hard to avoid them now-a-days, and I think I know that there are "routes" (laymans term) in the sky that planes follow, but isn't there a reasonable alternative?

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but why would a flight path go right over a known war zone? I realize it is becoming increasingly hard to avoid them now-a-days, and I think I know that there are "routes" (laymans term) in the sky that planes follow, but isn't there a reasonable alternative?

You would have hoped they had learned from similiar incidents in the past Brian.

Iran Air Flight 655  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

Korean Air Lines Flight 007  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007
This must be the place

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:06:55 AM by Tim Mellon »

Brian Ainslie

• T1
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:40:50 AM »

Barbarians.

Can't help but notice that today's flight is taking a different route....more to the east.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 07:27:50 AM »

As did all the previous flights.
This must be the place

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 07:33:06 AM »

One report says they diverted for weather. 
We will NEVER know what's on the black boxes either.  They are on their way to Moscow. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 10:05:30 AM »

There's an awful lot of reports and transcriptions doing the rounds already in the build up to yet another 'conspiracy theory' I would guess. Best wait for the accident investigation before drawing too many conclusions. At least there is something to investigate this time, wreckage, FDR and CVR. As long as they get to the truth and find out exactly what happened, no matter how unpleasant it may or not be, that's all they can do.
This must be the place

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 11:47:51 AM »

There's an awful lot of reports and transcriptions doing the rounds already in the build up to yet another 'conspiracy theory' I would guess. Best wait for the accident investigation before drawing too many conclusions. At least there is something to investigate this time, wreckage, FDR and CVR. As long as they get to the truth and find out exactly what happened, no matter how unpleasant it may or not be, that's all they can do.

Really think there will ever be a real accident investigation to amount to anything in this case?  I don't.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 01:02:59 PM »

Really think there will ever be a real accident investigation to amount to anything in this case?  I don't.
Depends on who does the investigating really. History tells us that carefully tailored investigations can give you the results you want. In this case a Malaysian Airlines American made plane crashing on Ukrainian soil almost guarantees that none of the previous nationalities will be involved in the investigation. Which guarantees it happening again and again. Previous shoot downs of civilian aircraft.
Here is the evidence

1940s
Kaleva OH-ALL
KNILM PK-AFV
BOAC Flight 777
1950s
Cathay Pacific VR-HEU
El Al Flight 402
1970s
Libyan Arab Airlines Flight 114
Korean Air Lines Flight 902
Air Rhodesia Flight RH825
Air Rhodesia Flight RH827
1980s
Aerolinee Itavia Flight 870
Korean Air Lines Flight 007
Polar 3
Air Malawi 7Q-YMB
Iran Air Flight 655
T&G Aviation DC-7
1990s
September 1993 Transair Georgian Airline Shootdowns
Lionair Flight LN 602
2000s
2001 Siberia Airlines Flight 1812
2003 Baghdad DHL attempted shootdown incident
2007 Balad aircraft crash
2007 Mogadishu TransAVIAexport Airlines Il-76 crash
2010s
2014 Malaysian Airlines Flight 17
This must be the place

JNev

• T5
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 08:33:21 PM »

Just keep in mind - this was no accident.  It was the outcome of an act of belligerence.

All the black boxes could possibly tell us is what happened up to the lethal missile strike, with slim chances of much useful about what followed.  Arguably that might include what vitals were destroyed or compromised by the strike - which was quite likely crippling to multiple systems, including primary structure on a large scale.

How to prevent this kind of event lies not with understanding the mechanics of this crash, but in recognizing the realities of the kind of war going on in that part of the world and related threats throughout the globe and dealing with them with fortitude.  Political commentary is not appropriate here, so I'll leave it at that generic level of discussion.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:05:45 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 03:59:15 AM »

The black boxes give information on quite important details in cases of shoot downs of civilian aircraft, navigation details, altitude, transponder, communications etc... all vital when flying near or over areas of disputed territory. Not that we have ever learnt anything from previous incidents, see list above. Obviously it goes without saying that these are despicable acts of violence no matter who is to blame, be it Russia, Ukraine, USA as examples from the list of previous shoot downs. Questions need to be asked as to why civilian flights are allowed to overfly disputed territories or we will see this happening again and again, see list.
This must be the place

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 05:43:52 AM »

Questions need to be asked as to why civilian flights are allowed to overfly disputed territories or we will see this happening again and again, see list.

I think it's real simple - the answer is money. Gas is expensive. Flying around a problem area makes a flight more expensive to the airline, resulting in smaller performance bonuses for the executives and less profit for the shareholders, or the government if it's a state-owned enterprise.

The airlines gamble with their passenger's lives that nothing will go wrong as they shave a few thousand dollars off the flight's cost. The reason it's called gambling is because sometimes, you loose. This was one of those times. Sympathies to all of the families whose lives have been torn apart forever.

LTM, who drives whenever he can,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 07:08:48 AM »

A couple of thousand feet don't mean much in terms of avoidance, and they were in or skirting a war zone - the "orange" boxes aren't going to provide much but fodder for Russian deniability.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org