Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 85   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-2-V-1 - patch?  (Read 1126675 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: 2-2-V-1 - patch?
« Reply #1035 on: December 05, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »

The best source for that one that I know of is Purdue.  Theirs seems to be high resolution and is best copied with tif to do any analysis, I believe.

Our faithful reader provides this link to the Purdue image.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ron Lyons

• T1
« Reply #1036 on: December 05, 2014, 11:13:52 PM »

Ric, I'm so glad to see you guys are hard at work looking into the similarities in the bends actually on the artifact, and the photos.  That has stood out to me since I first saw those photos of the 'oil-canning'.  It's such an amazing coincidence that it's almost impossible to believe, but yet there it is in the photos. 

As crazy as it sounds, simply put: the patch appears bent.  The artifact appears bent in the same way. 

Ron Lyons

• T1
« Reply #1037 on: December 05, 2014, 11:18:14 PM »

About it being a secret:

Essentially, this patch was a repair, to damage caused when the window was installed.  So it's ultimately a repair to fix a mistake made previously.  That's the absolute WORST kind of thing to admit and own up to.  Amelia strikes me as a proud prideful individual, of course she would want to keep that 'on the down low'. 

Personally if I were in her position, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it but I wouldn't want to draw attention to it.  "Well, we thought this was a good idea, but now we admit it wasn't and wished we never would have done that" isn't a good position to be in.  Given the choice, you may as well do the repair as quietly as possible and then not mention it to anybody to save a little face. 

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #1038 on: December 06, 2014, 06:55:52 AM »

Amelia strikes me as a proud prideful individual, of course she would want to keep that 'on the down low'.

Exactly. It wouldn't do to disparage the "flying laboratory," now would it?

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #1039 on: December 06, 2014, 07:42:09 AM »

Forget about 2-2-V-1 for a second.  Think about what we've learned over the past months.  It is beyond dispute (even by our critics) that the large window installed prior to the first world flight attempt was removed and replaced in Miami with an aluminum patch and, by the time the plane got to Darwin a month later, that patch had developed a serious oil-canning problem.  At this point we can't see a connection between the oil-canning and the airplane's failure to reach Howland Island, but the window/patch problem is an aspect of the story that has heretofore been unknown despite over three-quarters of a century of Earhart research.

What continues to blow my mind is that, of all the things we could have found, we really do seem to have that patch.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #1040 on: December 06, 2014, 08:26:36 AM »

So, how sure are we then that we see stiffener rivet lines in the photos, as earlier suggested?  Did the stiffeners perhaps come later, like perhaps at Darwin or Lae in response to this development?

Our critics have noted that the distortions you are suggesting shouldn't be there if reasonable bracing was present.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #1041 on: December 06, 2014, 08:47:15 AM »

So, how sure are we then that we see stiffener rivet lines in the photos, as earlier suggested?

Very sure, based on some high-tech analysis Glickman did that is too complicated to get into here and you wouldn't believe anyway.  With luck we'll be able to get better detail from the photo in Miami next week.  That would be something you might believe.

Did the stiffeners perhaps come later, like perhaps at Darwin or Lae in response to this development?

They were only in Darwin for one afternoon and night.  In the Darwin hangar photo I don't see any indication that anybody is working on the airplane.  They were in Lae for three days (June 29, 30, July 1) and Guinea Airways operated two Lockheed 10s of their own so repair materials may have been on hand.  If modifications were made I would expect them to be made in Lae but, in his letter, Guinea Airways manager Eric Chater lists all the work done to NR16020 and there is no mention of structural mods. Bottom line: I don't see any evidence that structural work was done in Darwin or Lae.

After Miss Earhart's arrival work was proceeded with on her machine under her supervision, and this was continued the next day (June 30th). During this period the following work was carried out –

CHIEF ENGINEER'S (E. Finn) REPORT
Clean set of spark plugs fitted to both engines.
Oil drained from both tanks.
Oil filters inspected and cleaned - both engines.
Petrol pump removed from starboard engine on account of fluctuation of pressure at cruising revolutions. Spare petrol pump fitted.
Thermo couple connection on No. 4 cylinder, starboard engine, repaired.
Air scoop between Nos. 2 & 3 cylinders on port engine repaired.
Propellers greased.
Batteries inspected for level and charge.
New cartridge fitted to exhaust gas analyser - starboard side.
Spare adapter plug fitted to carburettor air scoop for temperature gauge line.
Sperry Gyro Horizon (Lateral & fore & aft level) removed, cleaned, oiled and replaced, as this reported showing machine in right wing low position when actually horizontal.
Engines run up on ground. Petrol pressure on starboard engine too low. Petrol pump removed. Original petrol pump valve and seat ground in to remove uneveness. Pump fitted to engine.
Engines run up on ground and tested in air. Both engines okay. Petrol pressure port engine 4 1/2 lbs., starboard engine 4 3/4 lbs.
Engines, instruments and aircraft approved okay by Miss Earhart.

Our critics have noted that the distortions you are suggesting shouldn't be there if reasonable bracing was present.

Remind me what qualifications those critics have. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:55:41 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #1042 on: December 06, 2014, 08:51:55 AM »

Thanks Marty.  The next question is whether Purdue got this as a digital image from somewhere or whether they have a print or negative. We should be able to find out.

JNev

• T5
« Reply #1043 on: December 06, 2014, 09:34:16 AM »

So, how sure are we then that we see stiffener rivet lines in the photos, as earlier suggested?

Very sure, based on some high-tech analysis Glickman did that is too complicated to get into here and you wouldn't believe anyway.  With luck we'll be able to get better detail from the photo in Miami next week.  That would be something you might believe.

Unduly snarky, Ric.  I've never wavered in wanting to see better photos, nor have I challenged Glickman's abilities as unbelievable. 

This kind of defensiveness may change my views, however.  Seems Ted Campbell had a point recently.

Did the stiffeners perhaps come later, like perhaps at Darwin or Lae in response to this development?

They were only in Darwin for one afternoon and night.  In the Darwin hangar photo I don't see any indication that anybody is working on the airplane.  They were in Lae for three days (June 29, 30, July 1) and Guinea Airways operated two Lockheed 10s of their own so repair materials may have been on hand.  If modifications were made I would expect them to be made in Lae but, in his letter, Guinea Airways manager Eric Chater lists all the work done to NR16020 and there is no mention of structural mods. Bottom line: I don't see any evidence that structural work was done in Darwin or Lae.

After Miss Earhart's arrival work was proceeded with on her machine under her supervision, and this was continued the next day (June 30th). During this period the following work was carried out –

CHIEF ENGINEER'S (E. Finn) REPORT
Clean set of spark plugs fitted to both engines.
Oil drained from both tanks.
Oil filters inspected and cleaned - both engines.
Petrol pump removed from starboard engine on account of fluctuation of pressure at cruising revolutions. Spare petrol pump fitted.
Thermo couple connection on No. 4 cylinder, starboard engine, repaired.
Air scoop between Nos. 2 & 3 cylinders on port engine repaired.
Propellers greased.
Batteries inspected for level and charge.
New cartridge fitted to exhaust gas analyser - starboard side.
Spare adapter plug fitted to carburettor air scoop for temperature gauge line.
Sperry Gyro Horizon (Lateral & fore & aft level) removed, cleaned, oiled and replaced, as this reported showing machine in right wing low position when actually horizontal.
Engines run up on ground. Petrol pressure on starboard engine too low. Petrol pump removed. Original petrol pump valve and seat ground in to remove uneveness. Pump fitted to engine.
Engines run up on ground and tested in air. Both engines okay. Petrol pressure port engine 4 1/2 lbs., starboard engine 4 3/4 lbs.
Engines, instruments and aircraft approved okay by Miss Earhart.

Accepted, and good stuff.  But then we also know that Earhart may not have been particularly eager to broadcast anything that would bring attention to this kind of detail.

Remind me what qualifications those critics have.

Some that are similar or greater than mine - one I now realize is a long-standing structures engineering, still practicing at age 74 including working repairs to a Fokker 100 in recent days - which means significant transport-level structures knowledge.  Lots of experience as a liaison type between floor and drafting board, analysis, etc.  His experience exceeds mine by many years.  One ought to know one's critics before critiquing them too harshly, I've learned.

Point being, we're now nodding to what some of those raised as a reasonable challenge to the prospect of light bracing within the 'patch' - which you may recall I postulated on very favorably for the TIGHAR approach only recently.  I stand by that possibility, but now we seem to embrace the deformation - and since that was central to the theme of bracing or not, perhaps that remains a concern.  Obviously you no longer have full confidence in my judgment as anything more than an amateur, so as an amateur onlooker I merely suggest this point be duly considered.  Perhaps Aris Scarla or someone similar can help, or perhaps Eagar can jump in - that is needed, because clearly you nor Glickman possess any structural expertise beyond mine.  I'd get my ducks in a row on that.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:25:44 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

JNev

• T5
« Reply #1044 on: December 06, 2014, 09:35:02 AM »

Thanks Marty.  The next question is whether Purdue got this as a digital image from somewhere or whether they have a print or negative. We should be able to find out.

When you get it, pay close attention to STA 320 and the aft edge of the patch - they are discernable.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #1045 on: December 06, 2014, 10:58:40 AM »

Unduly snarky, Ric.

Sorry.  It's a failing I struggle with.  When I get impatient and frustrated I tend to get snarky.

Accepted, and good stuff.  But then we also know that Earhart may not have been particularly eager to broadcast anything that would bring attention to this kind of detail.

But this isn't Earhart.  This is Chater reporting what he knows after she has disappeared.  I can't think of a reason why Eric Chater would cover for Earhart.

Some that are similar or greater than mine - one I now realize is a long-standing structures engineering, still practicing at age 74 including working repairs to a Fokker 100 in recent days - which means significant transport-level structures knowledge.  Lots of experience as a liaison type between floor and drafting board, analysis, etc.  His experience exceeds mine by many years.  One ought to know one's critics before critiquing them too harshly, I've learned.

Whether the artifact fits within the dimensions of the patch is not a structures issue.  Working solely from photographs it's a scaling issue - and a very complicated scaling issue.  Standing beside an airplane with the artifact in hand as Glickman, Scarla and I have done is an entirely different and infinitely simpler exercise.  The thing fits.

Point being, we're now nodding to what some of those raised as a reasonable challenge to the prospect of light bracing within the 'patch' - which you may recall I postulated on very favorably for the TIGHAR approach only recently.  I stand by that possibility, but now we seem to embrace the deformation - and since that was central to the theme of bracing or not, perhaps that remains a concern.

We're not nodding to or embracing anything. I pay absolutely no attention to "the critics." I do pay attention to new information like higher-res versions of the Darwin photos.  I sent the Darwin photos to Glickman and said that it looked to me like there might be some oil-canning.  He replied, "I am of the opinion that the new .png image below clearly shows oil-canning of the patch, as I have eliminated other possible sources for the image anomaly including media and scanning distortions." 

After looking more closely at the photos he wrote:
"Please compare the image of oil-canning during Darwin refueling with 2-2-V-1 in-situ on Nikumaroro.
Please rotate the 2-2-V-1 image 180 degrees, and then compare the v-shaped indentation seen in the Darwin photo to the 2-2-V-1 in-situ image."

And later:
"We may be approaching a point where we can create structural fingerprints of both 2-2-V-1 and the patch, comprised of both the statistical detection of rivet lines and surface deformations, that would be nearing conclusive evidence."

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #1046 on: December 06, 2014, 11:15:46 AM »

Before we get too wrapped around the airwheel, so to speak, I think we need to remember that aluminum and light mixed together can do some funny things, even in broad daylight, and the combination may be playing with us with regards to the Darwin photo which was certainly taken in less than ideal lighting.  Yes it looks like the patch is deformed, but....

I remember some discussion about this photo of the Electra below, that looked like damage to the nose of the aircraft. 

Wow!  Did she hit a goose or what?

On the face of it one might conclude that there was a big wrinkle in the skin.  We ended up figuring out that it wasn't damage, but an optical illusion - an odd mixture of light and aluminum that sure looks like damage.

Gotta keep an open mind here because we don't know everything about the conditions that existed at the moment the Darwin image was taken.

Andrew
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:19:07 AM by Andrew M McKenna »

JNev

• T5
« Reply #1047 on: December 06, 2014, 12:01:17 PM »

Unduly snarky, Ric.

Sorry.  It's a failing I struggle with.  When I get impatient and frustrated I tend to get snarky.

Admission is the first step, and I am familiar with the malady. 

We who resort to that so easily, however, might do well to consider the chilling effect it can have and whether that fits within our ethical charge.  Just because I'm mostly polite doesn't mean I skin as easily as most are trapped into believing, but I do have a deep concern for whether we have a hostile environment for others here, or not.

Thank you.

But this isn't Earhart.  This is Chater reporting what he knows after she has disappeared.  I can't think of a reason why Eric Chater would cover for Earhart.

Whether the artifact fits within the dimensions of the patch is not a structures issue.  Working solely from photographs it's a scaling issue - and a very complicated scaling issue.  Standing beside an airplane with the artifact in hand as Glickman, Scarla and I have done is an entirely different and infinitely simpler exercise.  The thing fits.

My meaning in this passage was to do with the potential for oil canning to exist if stiffeners were present or not as voiced by our critics, not photo analysis and scaling. 

That said, OK - we'll talk 'dimensions' -

It is not dreadfully hard to see, appreciate and measure distinct structure aspects in photos if one has an understanding of the stations data on drawings and a grasp of lofting, etc. - especially when points such as fuselage stations can be easily discerned and applied for calibration.  Think of enhancing Glickman's effort - the engineer's grasp of lofting, etc. is probably better than his.  I'm sure he's a fine photogrammetry man, but it might be well to couple him with an able design engineer to extract a more promising outcome, just as a thought.

It was actually my next post that referred to the direct visual evidence that is apparent in the Darwin ramp photo, but since you opened up on it I'll share that my meaning was that the rivet line at STA 320 is visible in that photo and in fact turns out to be easily measured.  The stations progressing along the fuselage in that area provide one ample means of thorough calibration and to help account for distortion if one has access to accurate metrics software (I do now).  We are also looking at a relatively flat area (minimal distortion) in the mid-waterline area of the fuselage side, also with fairly low angularity to the lens, so it is not hard to work out the metrics as it turns out.  This was carefully verified station-to-station by many dozens of comparisons.  I actually have some astonishingly precise measurements that now tell me what the actual length of the patch was (verified by careful measurements taken from several different photos), but won't spill that here because I have no intention of imparting bias.

But skip all that - the forward and aft edges of the patch are also clearly visible in a good copy (tiff will do, and contrast adjustment does help - and turns out to be reliable).  My direct read now is that the patch does not reach the rivet line at STA 320.

That is my amateur observation, which I've given you already.  I'm not offering this as a hard conclusion, but to encourage consideration of something that turned out to be well-founded criticism in my view.  I also did not care to go unchecked, and for my own confidence have had a local photo analyst review this as well.  I imparted no bias, but simply 'can you tell me where this part end' and 'can you see rivet lines - like these others at STA 343, etc.'.  He is the same gentleman who helped me have greater confidence in the Bevington Object photo in 2012, in fact.  But that's my business because I am not claiming a firm call, but offer it for you to check if you will.  This has long been looked at by critics, so I'm not throwing you to the wolves, either.  That is in fact how it came to my attention in the first place by way of another TIGHAR member - for me to rebut if I could.  Ignore this as so much critical nonsense, or do with it as you will.

Point being, we're now nodding to what some of those raised as a reasonable challenge to the prospect of light bracing within the 'patch' - which you may recall I postulated on very favorably for the TIGHAR approach only recently.  I stand by that possibility, but now we seem to embrace the deformation - and since that was central to the theme of bracing or not, perhaps that remains a concern.

We're not nodding to or embracing anything. I pay absolutely no attention to "the critics." I do pay attention to new information like higher-res versions of the Darwin photos.  I sent the Darwin photos to Glickman and said that it looked to me like there might be some oil-canning.  He replied, "I am of the opinion that the new .png image below clearly shows oil-canning of the patch, as I have eliminated other possible sources for the image anomaly including media and scanning distortions." 

After looking more closely at the photos he wrote:
"Please compare the image of oil-canning during Darwin refueling with 2-2-V-1 in-situ on Nikumaroro.
Please rotate the 2-2-V-1 image 180 degrees, and then compare the v-shaped indentation seen in the Darwin photo to the 2-2-V-1 in-situ image."

And later:
"We may be approaching a point where we can create structural fingerprints of both 2-2-V-1 and the patch, comprised of both the statistical detection of rivet lines and surface deformations, that would be nearing conclusive evidence."

That is interesting, but a picture is worth a thousand words (and millions of bytes); maybe Miami will turn up a better picture, or maybe the Darwin ramp photo will yield more to you than it has me - but I see a lot in it now.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

JNev

• T5
« Reply #1048 on: December 06, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »

Before we get too wrapped around the airwheel, so to speak, I think we need to remember that aluminum and light mixed together can do some funny things, even in broad daylight, and the combination may be playing with us with regards to the Darwin photo which was certainly taken in less than ideal lighting.  Yes it looks like the patch is deformed, but....

I remember some discussion about this photo of the Electra below, that looked like damage to the nose of the aircraft. 

Wow!  Did she hit a goose or what?

On the face of it one might conclude that there was a big wrinkle in the skin.  We ended up figuring out that it wasn't damage, but an optical illusion - an odd mixture of light and aluminum that sure looks like damage.

Gotta keep an open mind here because we don't know everything about the conditions that existed at the moment the Darwin image was taken.

Andrew

I agree, Andrew - and have said before, light and shadow tend to exaggerate small deformities. 

Minor, normal skin contours can look monstrous in the 'right light'.

That said, maybe there is a big dent in the window covering; if a direct fingerprinting tie can be made to today's visible distortions in 2-2-V-1 then my hat is off - but it does seem like a long walk for a KISS.

Ah, well...
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 12:18:54 PM by Jeffrey Neville »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #1049 on: December 06, 2014, 01:08:27 PM »

Is testing of the 2-2-V-1 rivet still planned? It was mentioned a while ago in conjunction with the corrosion theory. If I've followed this discussion, there seem to be second thoughts about the corrosion theory, but I wasn't clear on whether the rivet testing was still planned.

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. No testing of the rivet is currently planned.  I discussed the corrosion hypothesis with the forensic analysts at MIT.  It was their opinion that if the rivets had simply corroded away there should be residue remaining in the rivet holes, and there isn't.  Also, it is apparent that the artifact has spent a long time underwater and the surviving rivet has suffered from some corrosion.  It's probably not possible to get an accurate breakdown of its original elemental makeup.  There is also the point that to do anything with the rivet would require its removal from the artifact and I really don't want to do that without a very good reason.

The best hypothesis to explain the absence of rivets in the artifact is that they suffered from Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) which caused them to break apart and fall out of the holes. SCC is a catastrophic form of corrosion in which tensile stress internal to cold-worked metal (like rivets) induces cracking in a corrosive environment (like in seawater). 

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 85   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org