Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 85   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-2-V-1 - patch?  (Read 1126750 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: 2-2-V-1 - patch?
« Reply #765 on: October 16, 2014, 04:32:07 PM »

2-2-V-1 PROVEN at last, a HUGE well done all round.

Now our respects to Amelia and Fred, not least here in TIGHAR, and then by way of a suitable and substantial epitaph on Niku to their tragic demise. Amen

What a fantastic project, Roger

Thanks Roger, but PROVEN is a very high standard and we still have many unanswered questions.  The 2-2-V-1 Commission is now reviewing the report and we're making a number of additions and clarifications to make sure it's as accurate and understandable as we can make it. .

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #766 on: October 16, 2014, 07:38:43 PM »

2-2-V-1 PROVEN at last, a HUGE well done all round.

Now our respects to Amelia and Fred, not least here in TIGHAR, and then by way of a suitable and substantial epitaph on Niku to their tragic demise. Amen

What a fantastic project, Roger

We did? Darn, I always miss the exciting stuff ... comes from having your nose stuck in a computer and lots and lots of files all day long. 2-V-1-1 is not the Any Idiot Artifact. My money for that one is on the Conroy Anomaly, due to be checked out by Niku VIII.

But - The Patch is an awfully important piece of the puzzle in this seven-decade old mystery.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #767 on: October 17, 2014, 12:01:01 AM »

Does anyone know if Lockeed Martin had a certain repair manual or troubleshooting manual in case of certain unforseen events would take place? Say in this case a broken or cracked window. Also, not an expert at this, but curious to know how the windows on the Electra were installed...between the metal, in the inside of the plane, or etc? Woud be neat to know!!!!

Bessel P Sybesma

• T1
« Reply #768 on: October 21, 2014, 05:52:57 AM »

I'm writing the report. When it's finished I'll send it to Jeff Glickman and Aris Scarla for comment and/or correction.  When they've both signed off on the report we'll publish it on the TIGHAR website.  What I can tell you right now is that, at the end of the day, all of us were in agreement that the artifact is the patch.

Seems awfully quiet on the forum of late...

Ric, any ETA on the report getting published?

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #769 on: October 21, 2014, 06:25:31 AM »

I'm writing the report. When it's finished I'll send it to Jeff Glickman and Aris Scarla for comment and/or correction.  When they've both signed off on the report we'll publish it on the TIGHAR website.  What I can tell you right now is that, at the end of the day, all of us were in agreement that the artifact is the patch.

Seems awfully quiet on the forum of late...

Anticipa-a-a-tion...

A lot of work seems to be going into this one.  Should be good.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #770 on: October 21, 2014, 06:36:41 AM »

They say that, "Good things come to those who wait."

But, yeah, sometimes I would like to pound "them" senseless. I know, my bad.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #771 on: October 21, 2014, 07:15:21 AM »

We're shooting for Friday.  Vetting the initial draft has been an interesting and informative process. 
Everyone will have plenty to chew on.

Steve Lee

• T2
  • I am under moderation
« Reply #772 on: October 22, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »

There has been some discussion on this thread about how the Miami Patch was fabricated, whether Pan Am was involved, etc.  In this light I find an article titled ‘Found Objects’ in an old issue of Tighar Tracks (http://tighar.org/Publications/TTracks/1996Vol_12/objects.pdf) to be of interest.  It describes a piece of aluminum designated ‘artifact 2-2’ that was found during NIKU I.  In discussing how this artifact might be linked to the Electra, it is stated that

“It is worth noting that an inventory of the Earhart aircraft taken after the
March 20, 1937 crash in Hawaii lists “2 Pcs. Sheet metal Alcoa” (Item #66) as being among
the spare parts carried.”

Of course, we don’t know for sure that spare aluminum was carried on the Electra on the second world flight, but it certainly is worth keeping in mind the fact that Earhart did do so on her first circumnavigation attempt.

Gary Vance

• TIGHAR member
  • "Virtual" member #4847
« Reply #773 on: October 22, 2014, 12:00:26 PM »

Maybe I missed it somewhere in forum, but did the stringer  pictured  in the 2-2-V-I commission analysis match the new found stringer indentation Jeff Glickman found?  I realize there may be many sizes and widths of stringers.  Just curious if they were fitted together to see if they matched.

Gary

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #774 on: October 22, 2014, 02:00:18 PM »

There has been some discussion on this thread about how the Miami Patch was fabricated, whether Pan Am was involved, etc.  In this light I find an article titled ‘Found Objects’ in an old issue of Tighar Tracks (http://tighar.org/Publications/TTracks/1996Vol_12/objects.pdf) to be of interest.  It describes a piece of aluminum designated ‘artifact 2-2’ that was found during NIKU I.  In discussing how this artifact might be linked to the Electra, it is stated that

March 20, 1937 crash in Hawaii lists “2 Pcs. Sheet metal Alcoa” (Item #66) as being among

Of course, we don’t know for sure that spare aluminum was carried on the Electra on the second world flight, but it certainly is worth keeping in mind the fact that Earhart did do so on her first circumnavigation attempt.

Interesting point.  Thanks Steve. We don't know how big or of what thickness the sheets were and, as you say, we don't know whether spare aluminum sheet was carried on the second attempt - but at least on the first attempt there seems to have been a recognition that a need for sheet might arise for minor repairs. 

Below are the photos and text for Artifact 2-2 (properly 2-1-V-2) from the NTSB Lab report. Elsewhere in the report it mentions that although this metal is 2024 (same as 24ST) alloy aluminum it is not "clad" (not ALCLAD).
Ask yourself this.  Where is there a sheet of aluminum on any aircraft that has a finished edge that is not riveted to something?

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #775 on: October 22, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »

Apophenia alert !

In this critical past clip, Are there some sheet goods under the white material ( above thermos)?....in several views it appears that there is a shiny edge sticking out from under ....and when Earhart drops her binocular case on one of the edges ( about 57 seconds in) ...whatever it is ,....it seems stiff, ( doesn't fold downward like one would expect the open flaps on a cardboard box to do) ...or is it plexiglass as at about 25 sec  Earhart's shoe passes by and at 118 sec  it looks like one can see the workers pants through the object's corner... ( unless it is reflective off aluminum.)

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675063657_Amelia-Earhart-Putnam_Fred-Noonan_transatlantic-flight_Fred-Noonan
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:36:53 PM by Jerry Germann »

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #776 on: October 22, 2014, 03:55:39 PM »

Interesting point.  Thanks Steve. We don't know how big or of what thickness the sheets were and, as you say, we don't know whether spare aluminum sheet was carried on the second attempt - but at least on the first attempt there seems to have been a recognition that a need for sheet might arise for minor repairs. 

Below are the photos and text for Artifact 2-2 (properly 2-1-V-2) from the NTSB Lab report. Elsewhere in the report it mentions that although this metal is 2024 (same as 24ST) alloy aluminum it is not "clad" (not ALCLAD).
Ask yourself this.  Where is there a sheet of aluminum on any aircraft that has a finished edge that is not riveted to something?

Spares... in the cargo?

Humble 2-2-V-2 is interesting.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #777 on: October 22, 2014, 04:56:57 PM »

in several views it appears that there is a shiny edge sticking out from under ...

i agree. I think we may be looking at one, or maybe both, of the pieces of sheet metal described in the inventory. Is it big enough to fashion the patch from?  Hard to say.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #778 on: October 22, 2014, 05:00:42 PM »

in several views it appears that there is a shiny edge sticking out from under ...

i agree. I think we may be looking at one, or maybe both, of the pieces of sheet metal described in the inventory. Is it big enough to fashion the patch from?  Hard to say.

Possibly, the source material for 2-1-V-2?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:17:03 PM by Jerry Germann »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #779 on: October 22, 2014, 05:49:45 PM »

Maybe I missed it somewhere in forum, but did the stringer  pictured  in the 2-2-V-I commission analysis match the new found stringer indentation Jeff Glickman found?  I realize there may be many sizes and widths of stringers.  Just curious if they were fitted together to see if they matched.

They match.  That piece of stringer and the mark on the artifact are both 5/8ths inches wide. It doesn't mean anything except to illustrate that stiffeners 5/8th inches wide are common on the Lockheed Model 10.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 85   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org