Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 85   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-2-V-1 - patch?  (Read 1126699 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: 2-2-V-1 - patch?
« Reply #600 on: September 24, 2014, 10:18:24 AM »

Out of curiosity, did Jeff image some of the other artifacts with the Hyper-spectral imager?  Things like the compact mirror?

Yes, he imaged dozens of artifacts including the compact mirror. 

Mark Appel

• T3
« Reply #601 on: September 24, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »

At least now we can say, with a certain degree of safety, that the Great Font Debate of 2014 tends to support 2-2-V-1 as being The Patch as opposed to a part of the factory-built aircraft. So does Alcoa's assertion that the marking we can make out on 2-2-V-1 indicate that it was from reserve or spare stock.

LTM, who has never tried to stack stocked stockings in his life,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP

Maybe, maybe not!  In 1935 Lockheed changed from a Sans Serif to a Serif font.  The font on NR16020 in 1936 was Serif.  From what I see on the artifact, it is a Sans Serif Font.

Whoa! Lockheed changed from sans serif to serif in 1935? Say what??!! Unless I missed something big, it appears that aircraft aluminum font labeling style migrated from serif to sans serif over time. And it is not clear the font on the artifact is sans serif. The font on the artifact appears to have light or reduced serifs. It also appears to be slightly slanted or italicized.

Bottom line: IMHO we can say nothing definitive about the style of the font or its relationship to many variables: time period, type of stock, labeling standards (and variances associated with them) plant origins etc and a bunch of others I'm sure we haven't identified yet:) And of course, the one king hell variable is the working conjecture that this artifact is a patch, the source of which is obscure to say the least. My gut feeling is that the font style on the artifact does in a general way support the idea the artifact could be a patch on Earhart's aircraft.

But the vague abdominal rumblings of a rank amateur is not going to move the investigation forward. Or it shouldn't at any rate.
"Credibility is Everything"

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #602 on: September 24, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »

At least now we can say, with a certain degree of safety, that the Great Font Debate of 2014 tends to support 2-2-V-1 as being The Patch as opposed to a part of the factory-built aircraft. So does Alcoa's assertion that the marking we can make out on 2-2-V-1 indicate that it was from reserve or spare stock.

LTM, who has never tried to stack stocked stockings in his life,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP

Maybe, maybe not!  In 1935 Lockheed changed from a Sans Serif to a Serif font.  The font on NR16020 in 1936 was Serif.  From what I see on the artifact, it is a Sans Serif Font.

Whoa! Lockheed changed from sans serif to serif in 1935? Say what??!! Unless I missed something big, it appears that aircraft aluminum font labeling style migrated from serif to sans serif over time. And it is not clear the font on the artifact is sans serif. The font on the artifact appears to have light or reduced serifs. It also appears to be slightly slanted or italicized.

Bottom line: IMHO we can say nothing definitive about the style of the font or its relationship to many variables: time period, type of stock, labeling standards (and variances associated with them) plant origins etc and a bunch of others I'm sure we haven't identified yet:) And of course, the one king hell variable is the working conjecture that this artifact is a patch, the source of which is obscure to say the least. My gut feeling is that the font style on the artifact does in a general way support the idea the artifact could be a patch on Earhart's aircraft.

But the vague abdominal rumblings of a rank amateur is not going to move the investigation forward. Or it shouldn't at any rate.

Glad to have your insight on what we're seeing, Mark.  It looks like a well worn serif font to me, too, and as you note, italicized.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Mark Appel

• T3
« Reply #603 on: September 24, 2014, 11:44:35 AM »

On another note, can you point to where on the surface of the artifact the A & D is.  After seeing it in Riddle22VI, I may have to capitulate as to it being San Serif.  Hope not cause, I have only been wrong once in my life.  :o ;D

You ran me around the barn for THAT???  I'll know better next time.

I'm sure it isn't the first time you've been run around the barn.  Now you will really hate me.  After consideration and a bit of testing, I've come to the conclusion that it is, in my opinion, a Serif like a (Times New Roman A D) font.  So it is like the font on the Electra I posted down thread.  You be the judge.

Well here I go. Right after I say nothing definitive can be stated about the font on the artifact, I am going to be the judge and say it's not Times New Roman. Or any flavor of Times... unless it's a really poor rendering of Times--which is possible but not likely.

I've seen a lot of font styles in my day and lots of variations on a font theme. And the font on the artifact strikes me as quite individual in character. It's a "Vaguely Serif" font... There. How's that for an expert opinion?:)
"Credibility is Everything"

JNev

• T5
« Reply #604 on: September 24, 2014, 12:33:26 PM »

On another note, can you point to where on the surface of the artifact the A & D is.  After seeing it in Riddle22VI, I may have to capitulate as to it being San Serif.  Hope not cause, I have only been wrong once in my life.  :o ;D

You ran me around the barn for THAT???  I'll know better next time.

I'm sure it isn't the first time you've been run around the barn.  Now you will really hate me.  After consideration and a bit of testing, I've come to the conclusion that it is, in my opinion, a Serif like a (Times New Roman A D) font.  So it is like the font on the Electra I posted down thread.  You be the judge.

Well here I go. Right after I say nothing definitive can be stated about the font on the artifact, I am going to be the judge and say it's not Times New Roman. Or any flavor of Times... unless it's a really poor rendering of Times--which is possible but not likely.

I've seen a lot of font styles in my day and lots of variations on a font theme. And the font on the artifact strikes me as quite individual in character. It's a "Vaguely Serif" font... There. How's that for an expert opinion?:)

"Poor rendering" might lie within the bounds of variations seen in the printing rollers used - if you look at these kinds of figures up close that can be seen.  I'm no expert, but it appears close - within the bounds of what I speak of, to the Times example that Samuels put up.

Now, that's just the gut-rumblings of this armchair amateur!  ;D
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Jay Burkett

• T2
« Reply #605 on: September 24, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »

I have a couple of questions regarding the previously posted photo titled: “alc24st-earhart-mechanics3[1].jpg

That access does not look like a standard feature that would be found on any of the surviving Electras.  In those photos I don’t see a hinged panel that is swung out of the way.  It must be laying on the ground someplace.  On the blow-up I can see what appears to be the receptacles for Dzus-type fasteners, but, because of the lighting I cannot see the actual holes for the quarter-turn fasteners.  The receptacles themselves appear to be attached with protruding head rivets.

I would guess Lockheed installed the tanks, the picture-frame structure around these openings and whatever panels that covered them.  The bottom of the forward-most cabin tanks can be seen (Those absurdly large fastener heads are a dead give-away!).

The panel in the photo shows the left-hand side.  There would be an opposite-hand  panel for the right-hand side.

My questions are these:

1.  Does Tighar have access to the drawings that modified this area and those that would have detailed these panels?

2.  Have these removable panels been considered as the source of the 2-2-V-1?

I don’t recall access to the cabin tanks through the belly, or the cover panels, being discussed before.  If this topic has been covered, please point me to the right place to look!

Thanks!
Jay Burkett, N4RBY
Aerospace Engineer
Fairhope AL

Jennifer Hubbard

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #606 on: September 24, 2014, 05:56:35 PM »

I'm almost starting to wonder if 2-2-V-1 needs subthreads for its various subtopics: font, rivet pattern, edges, paint (or lack thereof), marks and indentations, molds/models/diagrams, photos and imaging, etc. ... Or maybe just a chart or checklist demonstrating which of these show evidence of consistency with the patch, and to what degree?

Mark Samuels

• T1
« Reply #607 on: September 24, 2014, 08:13:51 PM »

I have a couple of questions regarding the previously posted photo titled: “alc24st-earhart-mechanics3[1].jpg

That access does not look like a standard feature that would be found on any of the surviving Electras.  In those photos I don’t see a hinged panel that is swung out of the way.  It must be laying on the ground someplace.  On the blow-up I can see what appears to be the receptacles for Dzus-type fasteners, but, because of the lighting I cannot see the actual holes for the quarter-turn fasteners.  The receptacles themselves appear to be attached with protruding head rivets.

I would guess Lockheed installed the tanks, the picture-frame structure around these openings and whatever panels that covered them.  The bottom of the forward-most cabin tanks can be seen (Those absurdly large fastener heads are a dead give-away!).

The panel in the photo shows the left-hand side.  There would be an opposite-hand  panel for the right-hand side.

My questions are these:

1.  Does Tighar have access to the drawings that modified this area and those that would have detailed these panels?

2.  Have these removable panels been considered as the source of the 2-2-V-1?

I don’t recall access to the cabin tanks through the belly, or the cover panels, being discussed before.  If this topic has been covered, please point me to the right place to look!

Thanks!

This is where I cropped that image from.  You can enlarge it to where you want to look and you can grab the picture with your cursor and move it around the frame.  I am not sure if this has been discussed before.  I am fairly sure that the cabin tanks were jockeyed through the cabin door and put in place.  Don't believe that the cabin tanks were accessible through the belly.

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/earhart/id/344

Diagram of fuel system in this bulletin.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/61_FuelSystem/61_FuelSystem.htm

JNev

• T5
« Reply #608 on: September 25, 2014, 04:02:30 AM »

I believe the open bays seen under the wings are standard for wing tanks in the Electra - those look like the stock wing tanks suspended by typical strapping and the panels were likely screwed into place.  It would be a means of access not just for the tanks, but for other plumbing and rigging through the wing root / nacelle area, I believe.

As Mark Samuels points out, the cabin tanks may have been designed to go in through the cabin door - a close but likely fit.  That's been a bit of a mystery to me, but makes sense.  I've always wondered about a large skin on the right side of the fuselage visible in some photos - looks shinier than surrounding material - could have been another means of access for the large tanks - but makes more sense that Lockheed would have simply designed to use the door.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Jay Burkett

• T2
« Reply #609 on: September 25, 2014, 10:45:39 AM »

I agree that those tanks came in through the cabin door.  No question.  They do, however, require connection to the fuel system AFTER they are structurally installed.  This would require access from underneath.

The thought I was kicking around was whether or not the panels that cover those openings could be the source of the 2-2-V-1 Patch.

Just like most general aviation aircraft that are delivered by flying them over the Atlantic to destination in Europe, Africa and beyond "commercial" Electras probably would have had to use temporary auxillary tanks for the trip.  This access may have been a standard feature on the Electra.  It would have made the task of designing and installing larger and more tanks on AE's aircraft far easier.

If these access panels are "standard" for the Electra then this has probably already been checked.
Jay Burkett, N4RBY
Aerospace Engineer
Fairhope AL

JNev

• T5
« Reply #610 on: September 25, 2014, 11:39:44 AM »

I agree that those tanks came in through the cabin door.  No question.  They do, however, require connection to the fuel system AFTER they are structurally installed.  This would require access from underneath.

The thought I was kicking around was whether or not the panels that cover those openings could be the source of the 2-2-V-1 Patch.

Just like most general aviation aircraft that are delivered by flying them over the Atlantic to destination in Europe, Africa and beyond "commercial" Electras probably would have had to use temporary auxillary tanks for the trip.  This access may have been a standard feature on the Electra.  It would have made the task of designing and installing larger and more tanks on AE's aircraft far easier.

If these access panels are "standard" for the Electra then this has probably already been checked.

Seems to have been thoroughly checked - this bulletin outlines an early fitment review, and others have followed.  The belly was long suspected as a logical source - I think mainly for two reasons: 1) 2-2-V-1 strongly resembles patterns in that area, and 2) we know that extensive repairs were made to the belly following the Luke Field ground loop event.  The reasons you suggest are also possibilities - possible modifications for various reasons have been part of the review.

If 2-2-V-1 did not come from NR16020, then the mystery is even deeper because in fact a very in depth review of potential origins has been conducted along a number of fronts - including perusal of what we can know today of the L10E's construction facts -

Artifact 2-2-V-1 - aluminum 'skin'

The Question of 2-2-V-1

Commission effort

I personally have not had the privilege of examining an L10 belly up close and personal, but TIGHAR has done so via a number of representatives at various times.  The pictures we have of Earhart's plane's own belly after repairs are not super revealing, but seem to have been given good review as per above.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Jon Romig

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #611 on: September 25, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »

Hi All

I was looking through photo's and upon looking at following image, i noticed faint lines either side of rivet line obviously the edges of stringer or structure this skin was attached, Do we know the width of the stringers/structure of Electra and do they match these faint lines ?

Thanks Richie

Into the Waves

We now see that the aircraft's skin had been distorted by a force acting from the exterior, so that the skin "registers" the stringers in a way that is still visible.

I have two questions for those more knowledgeable about aircraft construction and maintenance than I:

1. Is it normal for .032 aluminum skin to become distorted like this over time simply due to the action of air passing over the skin?

2. Does a skin get visibly distorted like this during the normal process of assembly and riveting?

For the rest of this post I will assume the answers are no.

If simply flying or assembly won't do this, then there must have been some force acting upon the exterior of the patch while the patch was attached to the stringers, and the stringers were attached to some larger body to resist the force. This is entirely consistent with the aircraft being battered by waves before the patch was removed. In fact it is hard to imagine any other situation that would cause this.

Note that this requires the patch to still be in place when the aircraft was in the waves. Short of a truly calamitous landing which is not well supported by the post-loss signals, the patch was in place for some time after the landing and most likely until at least July 8 (I assume, reasonably I think, that the height of waves required to batter the patch would disable the radio).

Thus the speculation that FN or AE kicked out the patch, either immediately after landing to escape or later for ventilation, is not supported by this logic. The surf had to distort the patch before it was removed from the aircraft.

Jon

Jon Romig 3562R

JNev

• T5
« Reply #612 on: September 25, 2014, 12:36:46 PM »

Hi All

I was looking through photo's and upon looking at following image, i noticed faint lines either side of rivet line obviously the edges of stringer or structure this skin was attached, Do we know the width of the stringers/structure of Electra and do they match these faint lines ?

Thanks Richie

Into the Waves

We now see that the aircraft's skin had been distorted by a force acting from the exterior, so that the skin "registers" the stringers in a way that is still visible.

I have two questions for those more knowledgeable about aircraft construction and maintenance than I:

1. Is it normal for .032 aluminum skin to become distorted like this over time simply due to the action of air passing over the skin?

2. Does a skin get visibly distorted like this during the normal process of assembly and riveting?

For the rest of this post I will assume the answers are no.

If simply flying or assembly won't do this, then there must have been some force acting upon the exterior of the patch while the patch was attached to the stringers, and the stringers were attached to some larger body to resist the force. This is entirely consistent with the aircraft being battered by waves before the patch was removed. In fact it is hard to imagine any other situation that would cause this.

Note that this requires the patch to still be in place when the aircraft was in the waves. Short of a truly calamitous landing which is not well supported by the post-loss signals, the patch was in place for some time after the landing and most likely until at least July 8 (I assume, reasonably I think, that the height of waves required to batter the patch would disable the radio).

Thus the speculation that FN or AE kicked out the patch, either immediately after landing to escape or later for ventilation, is not supported by this logic. The surf had to distort the patch before it was removed from the aircraft.

Jon

What you describe, Jon, is the evidence that Richie saw where stiffeners were riveted to the skin, not the unfastened vertical 'mystery member' that left traces, mostly on the exterior.

It is not unusual for traces of stringer or stiffener contact to be evident where so-fastened; likewise, minor distortions can easily happen during ordinary ground handling just by people leaning their bodies against the contour of the airplane, etc.  Ordinary vibrations and repetitive air loads can also create such evidence where contact is firm within a structure, yes.  Then, if assembled for any reasonable length of time in an outdoor environment - especially the tropics, there may corrosive effects - even if minor, that leave traces.

I've seen the artifact in person and my impression is that all such marks are very subtle - there is no major 'distortion' from stiffener contact (nor from the veritcal member as I understand it) that I've been able to discern. 

What I've also understood is that some unknown 'hydraulic' force, i.e. by wind, waves, explosive gasses, tootsies or other blunt object(s), seem to have worked from the inside surface, not outside, to lend the characteristic convex shape the part generally displays.  It lacks the micro-porosity, pitting and pocking that would indicate the application of conventional explosives.

It could have been worried-loose by AE and Fred in some attempt for whatever reason, removed by another opportunistic harvester, or by mother nature - by any combination of these over time, or in one swift event by some singular effort.  The failures on the part appear chaotic to me - as if there was a partial failure imparted by mishap or mother nature, and a finishing off by additional force(s) being applied. 

Possibililities that come to mind include perhaps, considering for a moment that this IS a part from NR16020, an initial tearing away of the bottom seam from the double row of fasteners where the angular 'saw tooth' failure pattern exhibits: that appears to be a failure in tension by a singular event; it seems consistent with diagonally-applied forces that could impart enough tension to the skin to cause a failure roughly along that staggered line of rivets.  Later might follow some 'worrying' failure elsewhere by repetitive wind or tidal forces - or someone seeing the partially-failed skin as an easy grab and cutting at it with something as crude as a machete along the aft and upper lap joints.  Then the prize might have been taken by bending inward and outward until the rather neat cyclic fatigue failure occurred along the surviving lower leading edge of the part.  All conjecture, but I'm trying to give a reasonable illustration of how the things I see in 2-2-V-1 might have occurred - IMHO.

I don't believe that the overall gross distortions that we see are inconsistent with what I've described.

At some point the rivets attaching the stiffeners, later I think, must have been removed with considerable care; the holes don't bear evidence of failure by force - unless failure in fastener tension: there is some slight dimpling effect around some rivet holes, as I recall.  That might not be too mean a task with reasonable tools once in a modest shop environment.  I don't know what tools there were at Gardner, but if combs and ornaments were being crafted from aircraft skins, then they had some capability.

Just thoughts, hope this helps answer some of your own.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #613 on: September 25, 2014, 01:03:44 PM »

What I've also understood is that some unknown 'hydraulic' force, i.e. by wind, waves, explosive gasses, tootsies or other blunt object(s), seem to have worked from the inside surface, not outside, to lend the characteristic convex shape the part generally displays.  ...

I find it interesting that, in that the pictures (see the Darwin pic esp - reply 560) which show the putative patch in place, the skin doesn't seem to be as taught as other areas of skin. the Darwin photo shows what I see to be a distinct half-moon shaped sagging or wrinkling. Perhaps this has already been discussed?

JNev

• T5
« Reply #614 on: September 25, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »

What I've also understood is that some unknown 'hydraulic' force, i.e. by wind, waves, explosive gasses, tootsies or other blunt object(s), seem to have worked from the inside surface, not outside, to lend the characteristic convex shape the part generally displays.  ...

I find it interesting that, in that the pictures (see the Darwin pic esp - reply 560) which show the putative patch in place, the skin doesn't seem to be as taught as other areas of skin. the Darwin photo shows what I see to be a distinct half-moon shaped sagging or wrinkling. Perhaps this has already been discussed?

I wouldn't expect an expediently installed skin from scratch to be as neat as the pre-formed skins on the original bird.  The installer was likely working with a flat sheet without means of hydro-pressing the compound curvature at that section into the 'patch'.

What you observe (and that's a good catch) could be consistent with that - a bit of residual bulging, etc. where the major curve was met, the the fore-and-aft curvature had little place 'to go'.  That could also be all the more reason why so many stiffeners may have been installed - to reduce buckling tendencies or more likely oil canning from such an installation.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 85   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org