Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 85   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-2-V-1 - patch?  (Read 1126762 times)

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
Re: 2-2-V-1 - patch?
« Reply #255 on: July 10, 2014, 07:56:52 AM »

In Karachi, from Purdue archives, probably a partial view (but is resolution an issue to see rivits?):
http://e-archives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/earhart&CISOPTR=501&DMSCALE=12.5&DMWIDTH=600&DMHEIGHT=600&DMMODE=viewer&DMTEXT=&REC=17&DMTHUMB=1&DMROTATE=0

I can make out the leading edge of the 'patch', all the way up to the 'right waterline', clearly enough.  Lighting probably made it stand out - kind of "birdshit white" in appearance (that's a technical pigment description used by many A&Ps).

I cannot make out any hint of rivet pattern, but what do I know of photogrammetry...
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #256 on: July 10, 2014, 05:28:51 PM »

On July 4th I received this email:
"To Whom it May Concern,
I am writing to you you today out of a deep interest in your search for Amelia Earhart's plane and have enjoyed reading about your work and all of the information that you now share via the internet.
 My reason for contacting you today is that my father-in-law, Frank McDonald, regularly related to me stories of working on the plane after the crash in Hawaii and has left some small amount of information in his memoir that I felt may be of interest to you and your team.
 If you have any interest in reviewing his statements I would be happy to send them along to you but I am not exactly sure of how to go about that.

Thank you for your time, 
                     Sincerely,    Steve Ahnert "

I suggested that he scan the appropriate pages of his father-in-law's memoir.  Today he sent the attached scans.  This is the first I've heard of a problem with the baffling in the fuselage tanks.  I also find it interesting that the skylight in the lavatory was cracked.  Of course the plane had been through quite a wreck but I wonder if the cracked skylight is evidence of the fuselage flexing in the area of the lavatory.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #257 on: July 10, 2014, 05:35:15 PM »

More info from Jeff Glickman:

He had wondered whether the print he is working with is from a negative or a scan.  I replied, "We got that print from the Miami Herald in 1996 or earlier - before the days of scanning."  He corrected me.

"Ric,

Scanning was first developed and used in the late 1800’s in conjunction with telegraph lines to transmit images. The modern high-resolution drum scanner was first developed in the late 1950’s. High-resolution laser-based drum scanners and printers were in use in the 1990’s, often by news organizations, to manage photographic content. Drum scanners have been manufactured by several companies including Heidelberg, a primary supplier to the print and news industries. While they have reached resolutions of 25,000 DPI+, drum scanners were more commonly built in the low-thousand DPI region.

The rear of the Miami Herald print bears the labeling “Kodak Electronic Imaging Paper”.  Kodak entered the electronic imaging market in 1987.  There was a series of Kodak printers that were compatible with this paper, including dye-sublimation printers.  For example, the Kodak XL-7700 dye-sublimation printer was introduced in 1989.  I located the manual for the Kodak XL-7720 dye-sublimation printer and its resolution was 203 DPI, a standard dye-sublimation printer resolution for the era.  Other standard dye-sublimation resolutions included 314, 320, 480, 540, 720 and 1,440 DPI.  Measurement of the frequency of the raster band artifact that is observed on the Miami Herald photo at 6,400 DPI optical resolution shows a rate of 20:1, suggesting that the resolution of the imaging system was 6,400 DPI / 20 = 320 DPI, which is consistent with a known resolution for dye-sublimation printing."

He later added:
"The banding seen in the Miami Herald photographic print on “Kodak Electronic Imaging Paper” is consistent with dye-sublimation printing.  What I can now reasonably assert is that the Miami Herald photographic print is not a print from a negative: It is probably a print from a dye-sublimation printer that may have been retrieved from a photograph archival system.  Whether an original print or negative was used during the storage recording process is currently unclear, nor is the recording method currently known. I anticipate that the band artifacts will slow down, but not prevent, analysis of the image."

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #258 on: July 10, 2014, 05:53:58 PM »

Hey Ric...I wanted you to see this comparison on two Electras side by side and tell me if this was indeed a retro-fit to fix a problem they might have had. Let me know...thanks! The plane on the left is the Electra Junior 12.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 06:54:09 PM by Randy Conrad »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2014, 06:58:31 PM »

Hey Ric...I wanted you to see this comparison on two Electras side by side and tell me if this was indeed a retro-fit to fix a problem they might have had. Let me know...thanks!

The photo on the left is c/n 1001, the first production Model 10.  The area you have circled looks to me like just a dark skin.   

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #260 on: July 10, 2014, 07:30:01 PM »

In Adobe Illustrator I made a precise outline of the presumed minimum dimensions of the patch and overlaid two photos of the artifact - one taken when it was still complete and one of the recent flattened shots. I scaled the flattened shot to the known dimensions of the artifact and scaled the other photo to match it as best I could.  My purpose was to get a more precise idea of how well the artifact fits within the dimensions of the patch.  The two photos don't match up exactly because tin the old photo of the intact artifact it is not flattened.  The fit speaks for itself.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:34:54 PM by Ric Gillespie »
« Reply #261 on: July 10, 2014, 09:45:05 PM »

Whow!!! I can really smell the smoke....
It seems to be the gun!

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #262 on: July 11, 2014, 06:39:30 AM »

Take a deep breath, Oskar. Remind me sometime to show you my Life magazine article from 1996, I think? TIGHAR's gotten shot in the foot a few times. I've taken steps to get boots on the ground for this quest, but it takes time.

LTM, who has been kicked in the head by a boot a time or two,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:41:13 AM by Monty Fowler »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #263 on: July 11, 2014, 04:36:59 PM »

Hi All

Ric

Am not 100% sure if the following image is Earhart's Electra

But if it is maybe the owner of website can share were he got image

http://imgarcade.com/1/amelia-earhart-lockheed-electra/

Thanks Richie
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #264 on: July 11, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »

Am not 100% sure if the following image is Earhart's Electra

I'm, quite sure that's the Finch/Kammerer replica that is now in the Museum of Flight.  Too shiny to be Earhart's Electra and it appears to have full-feathering props.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #265 on: July 11, 2014, 04:59:36 PM »

Ric

Does the movie of AE taxiing out in Lae show the patch?

I tried to view that video on the TIGHAR site, but seems what is mounted there for downloading requires software I don't have anymore.

Andrew

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #266 on: July 11, 2014, 05:24:49 PM »

Good thought. It shows the right side of the plane but you can't see the patch at all.  Blends right in.

Tim Gard

• T3
« Reply #267 on: July 11, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »

Ric

I tried to view that video on the TIGHAR site, but seems what is mounted there for downloading requires software I don't have anymore.

Andrew

Here is the Lae departure footage, unless you mean this movie
/ Member #4122 /
/Hold the Heading/

« Reply #268 on: July 12, 2014, 02:11:48 AM »

Hi!
I don't think it's the original NR16020. The antenna behind the loop-antenna seems to be missing. And it's to shiny too.
Oskar
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:41:36 AM by Oskar Erich Heinrich Haberlandt »

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #269 on: July 12, 2014, 09:20:31 AM »

If you watch the youtube documentary featuring Linda Finch's trip, you can see video that looks to be taken at the same time as this photo, with the same ground features below.  I think this has to be Linda Finch.

amck
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 85   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org