Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Malaysian Flight 370  (Read 391352 times)

Craig Romig

• T3
Re: Malaysian Flight 370
« Reply #345 on: March 03, 2015, 11:31:08 AM »

I also had a weird thought when this happened. I thought of the TV series Lost. I know weird.

Maybe they ended up on Gilligan's island. Haha.

Seriously though. I typed MH370 into search. And one of the suggested searches that came up was MH370 found. I followed it. And came across this story.http://www.theweek.co.uk/world-news/flight-mh370/57683/mystery-flight-mh370-7-other-planes-vanished Just a slightly interesting short list of other lost planes.

Daniel Paul Cotts

• T2
« Reply #346 on: March 07, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »

I subscribe to the pilot suicide theory. My guess at motivation was to disgrace the Malaysian government.
A recent BBC article mentions some interesting points to strengthen that theory.

Flight MH370: Could it have been suicide?
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31736835

Richard Westcott the BBC Transport Correspondent  who authored the piece recently interviewed someone who sounds a lot like Ric.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #347 on: March 07, 2015, 04:50:48 PM »

Richard Westcott the BBC Transport Correspondent  who authored the piece recently interviewed someone who sounds a lot like Ric.

Yeah, I talked to Westcott.

The suicide thing doesn't make any sense to me.  If the pilot wanted to commit suicide he has to somehow disable the First Officer but he doesn't have to make the airplane disappear from civilian radar and then change course.  The theory that the "hook" in the flight path was for the pilot to get a good look at his hometown seems reasonable but doesn't necessarily mean that he's about to commit suicide. 

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #348 on: March 09, 2015, 09:54:41 AM »

He just wanted to fly over his house...like we all used to do on a Saturday afternoon. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #349 on: March 09, 2015, 10:09:10 AM »

He just wanted to fly over his house...like we all used to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Been there.  Done that.

Chris Murphy

• T1
« Reply #350 on: March 17, 2015, 01:10:48 AM »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #351 on: March 17, 2015, 08:04:52 AM »

Interesting article on MH370 from Jeff Wise:

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/article/1734990/mh370-aviation-expert-jeff-wise-spells-out-his-theory

An excellent article.  Thanks Jeff.  As you probably know, I also did multiple MH370 spots on CNN (but not as many as Jeff and I didn't get paid).  From the start, this has looked to me like a state-sponsored abduction of the aircraft.  Jeff Wise takes it a step further and lays it at Putin's feet.  Maybe we're both nuts.
I was also fascinated by his description of monitoring a forum and dealing with the emotional aspects of embracing an unconventional theory.  It all sounded so familiar.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #352 on: March 17, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »

I never have believed you or Jeff Wise were nuts here - it has always looked and smelled like a theft and flight north to me.

I found his analysis of the handshakes refreshing, as I have always believed there had to be room for error in how that was being interpreted, or perhaps applied.  The 'new math' that emerged so quickly was a bit too glibly offered for my taste, and the BFO / BTO explanations help close a gap of understanding on my part as to why the explanations seemed to be missing something.  Apparently the two do not align well, suggesting some manipulation of data to make a southerly track plausible.

If there is one peculiar long-shot in Wise's theory to me, it is the premeditated handling of avionics aboard the craft to the point of manipulating what latter day examiners would see in the handshake data: that assumes a deeply qualified view of how to pull this off to the inth degree of concealment.  That said - it might not be enough for a super-power sponsored effort to simply take a plane, but more 'satisfying' to demonstrate to other intelligence watchers that they are capable of diddling with our most sophisticated stuff to gain slight of hand.  What Wise describes also amounts to a secondary 'flight deck' from where the ship could be taken over and flown effectively until the cockpit could be gained.  How many people would know how to do that?  It is a credible scenario - but needs a well-qualified villan to happen well at all.

I realize that makes me sound like a conspiracy weenie.  If so, so be it - it is an odd world where odd things happen.

Of course I'm also speaking from a lay point of view and gut-feeling - not very reliable things, but other earmarks on the whole thing still smell funny.  Wise just removed some of the gut-only basis and added some real considerations for a northward track loss.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #353 on: March 17, 2015, 08:46:53 AM »

What Wise describes also amounts to a secondary 'flight deck' from where the ship could be taken over and flown effectively until the cockpit could be gained.

All that is required is to "turn" the pilot so that he opens the cockpit door.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #354 on: March 17, 2015, 09:36:35 AM »

Realize that.  On the other hand, Wise raises some interesting points that are not really so far fetched after all.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Craig Romig

• T3
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:38:19 PM by Craig Romig »

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #356 on: August 04, 2015, 01:53:47 PM »

This sounds so familiar.  No other European Caucasian female (bones found) is reported missing...etc...etc...must be....
Compact from the 30's...Rouge...lotion jar...wrinkle cream...etc...etc....must be....

Parts of a 777...no other 777 missing...etc...etc...etc...must be....
TIGHAR Member #4154

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #357 on: August 04, 2015, 02:40:49 PM »

Quote from the above story: “When looking at something like this you have to be as objective and unbiased as possible,” says Gillespie. “You want it to be what you’re looking for, but you have to put that aside and look at the facts of the case and you have to make a judgment.” He would know—he and TIGHAR have spent decades investigating scraps of metal purported to have come from Amelia Earhart‘s lost Model 10 Electra.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP

Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

ibscas

« Reply #358 on: August 05, 2015, 03:02:31 PM »

In my mind, as far as conspiracy theories go - and assuming this is a conspiracy rather than an accident - I would think the only justification for hijacking the airplane for something onboard would be if it was very large.  My reasoning for this is that it would seem to be much easier to acquire, say, a laptop with classified or proprietary data on it a number of different ways than to take out an aircraft for it.  I would hypothesize that it would have to be something far more difficult to acquire through conventional schemes that was in the belly of that plane.  Maybe gold, maybe any number of things.

However, I can't rule out that there is the remotest chance of a controlled landing in water.  I know this is a low likelihood, but it's not unprecedented in the least.  Saying, for a moment, that this was the case then it is feasible that there would be little to no debris field and the plane sinks.  I really don't think this is the case because at the very least it's highly likely the plane would break up as it sinks and some kind of debris would make it out - such as luggage. 

Then again, if it were a suicide mission he could have simply nosed down into the ground (i.e., 911 Pennsylvania flight) and leave a relatively small scar that may escape notice.

While on a much, MUCH, smaller scale, consider how much debris has not been found in the search for AE's plane.  Sure it has been over 70 years and of course people living on the island likely appropriated any usable debris, but you would think that there would be something - especially and not in spite of 70 years passing - as the plane continues to disintegrate underwater.  Understandably there have been pieces found that may be debris from the Electra, but all the scouring of TIGHAR over many years has produced very little.  So, even on a scale of 100 times this, the possibility that debris has yet to surface isn't that far fetched.

This all leads me to believe that, really, anything is possible and nothing can be ruled out until some evidence, any evidence, surfaces.

In the end, we all know what is going to happen here.  70 years from now Ric's great great grandchildren will be running TIGHAR searching for the mysterious MH370 flight.  They will be on MALAY-XXV, their 25th mission aboard their hover boats looking for signs of the crash.  It will end up that there was a mysterious settlement deep in the Indian ocean on a remote island that prospered for a time during the 21st century who made interesting art from aircraft aluminum and sold it on eBay.  In the end all the passengers booked the flight specifically to escape society and it was all quite logical.  The only difference being that THEIR ROV worked....   ;D

On an unrelated note - this is my first post, do I REALLY have to do FOUR verifications to post a comment here each time?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #359 on: August 05, 2015, 03:24:18 PM »

On an unrelated note - this is my first post, do I REALLY have to do FOUR verifications to post a comment here each time?

For the first few posts, yes.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org