Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Betty's notebook  (Read 12956 times)

mark johnson

• T1
Betty's notebook
« on: November 19, 2013, 03:01:50 PM »

.Has anybody ever tested a radio similar to Amelia's to prove or disprove the third harmonics theory?

Q2. Just a thought on Betty's notebook.Make an Audio recording of her notes, play them back to a class of kids Betty's age group just to see how it compares and to generate mew interest in the search.

Travis Nutsch

• TIGHAR member
  • wanna fight about it?
Re: Betty's notebook
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 06:54:42 PM »

Love your idea about playing the recording for kids to see what they write down.
"American Knowmad"
KF7FEV
Part107
Private Pilot

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Re: Betty's notebook
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 10:54:07 PM »

Mark...hey after reading your post I remember scanning through Betty's notebook and remembered reading the two songs she written down. In one of the pages you'll notice the Honolulu radio station call letters. Like many of us Tighars I'm positive that this notebook is legit. Back at the time when covid started I wrote a historian from radio station in regards if at the time her time on air was received by the radio station....this is what he wrote back to me......

Hi Randy,

I just read your email.  My apologies for the delay.  I was cleaning out spam in order to find good emails and saw yours.

Unfortunately, I do not have any first hand information regarding the Amelia Earhart search.

If I may suggest, contacting KSSK radio in Honolulu, which is the successor to KGMB.

Supposedly at the time of Amelia Earhart, KGMB was in the 1300's kHz.  The other station was KGU-AM 760 kHz, which was located in the then Honolulu Advertiser building on Kapiolani Blvd and South Street.  Because the 760 kHz frequency was also used on the West Coat, KGU-AM had to vacate that frequency at night in order to not interfere with the West Coast.
I know the 590 kHz AM tower was on 1710 (?) Ala Wai Blvd, and is since long gone.  The AM facilities have moved to a "new" tower next to Kapalama Canal.  I'm guessing it was the tower on Ala Wai Blvd (it may have been elsewhere) that did the work.  I know up until the 70's, that the RCA 1D transmitter (the one used on the day of Pearl Harbor) was housed there.  The entire building has since been vacated of radio equipment.

You may also try the Coast Guard office in Honolulu, to see if they have archives of the search.

Aloha,
Ron Hashiro, AH6RH

After rereading this tonight it makes me wonder if Amelia transmitted during the day or night...thought I'd point out this letter to you Mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org