Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Amelia Rose Earhart world flight  (Read 84977 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Amelia Rose Earhart world flight
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »

The "real" Amelia Earhart was dedicated to showing that women can do what men can do.  Her accomplishments were genuine. She flew the airplane - sometimes not well, but she demonstrated that she had the courage to try.
Other women who have recreated her world flight have entirely missed the point of what AE was trying to do. In 1937 Amelia Mary Earhart twice tried to fly around the world without bringing along a man to fly the airplane. She failed both times. In 1967 Anne Pelegrino flew around the world in a Lockheed 10A with a man who could actually fly the airplane.  In 1997 Linda Finch flew around the world in a Lockheed 10E with a man who could actually fly the airplane. Now Amelia Rose Earhart will fly around the world with a man who can actually fly the airplane. 
If you're looking for a woman who showed that women can do what men can do, the woman you're looking for is Gerry Mock who circled the globe solo in a Cessna 180.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 01:27:23 PM »

If you're looking for a woman who showed that women can do what men can do, the woman you're looking for is Gerry Mock who circled the globe solo in a Cessna 180.

Wikipedia: Jerrie Mock.
  • First woman to fly solo around the world
  • First woman to fly around the world in a single engine plane
  • First woman to fly U.S. – Africa via North Atlantic
  • First woman to fly the Pacific single-engine
  • First woman to fly the Pacific West to East
  • First woman to fly both the Atlantic and Pacific
  • First woman to fly the Pacific both directions
Honorable mention has to go to Jean Batten, "Garbo of the Skies."  I read of her exploits when TIGHAR sent me to New Zealand in 2003.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:29:10 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 01:40:38 PM »

Beryl Markham was the real deal also.  Her book East To The Dawn is a classic.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »

Hmm.  Wikipedia's article on Markham suggests that her masterpiece was West with the Night.

My impression is that East to the Dawn is about Amelia Earhart, another aviatrix entirely.   ::)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 02:54:49 PM »

The "real deal" is hard to beat - and won't be, it seems: it's been done.  Thanks for that enlightenment.

I don't really mean to demean Earhart - and I guess there was merit in her intent, but as you pointed out... so maybe the current 'Earhart' wishes to prove that 'an Earhart can circle the globe', although 'manned up' as must be, perhaps.  I think it is the vagueness of these intentions that leaves me a bit clouded at times.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Steve Lyle Gunderson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 04:49:36 PM »

This may be one of Amelia Rose's intention's.
Steve G
#3911R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »

Hmm.  Wikipedia's article on Markham suggests that her masterpiece was West with the Night.

My impression is that East to the Dawn is about Amelia Earhart, another aviatrix entirely.   ::)

My mistake.  You're absolutely right.  East to the Dawn is Susan Butlers bio of AE.

Mark Appel

• T3
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 02:37:08 PM »

I work just a few miles from North Oakland... Amelia Rose just departed. Here's a local article with a gallery of photos FYI...

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_26035812/oakland-amelia-rose-earhart-embarks-around-world-flight
"Credibility is Everything"

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 03:55:05 PM »

I work just a few miles from North Oakland... Amelia Rose just departed. Here's a local article with a gallery of photos FYI...

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_26035812/oakland-amelia-rose-earhart-embarks-around-world-flight

The BS keeps getting deeper.  When asked what was her longest flight so far she said the flight from Switzerland to Colorado (presumably to position the Pilatus from the factory for the world flight).  She didn't happen to mention that she was not the Pilot in Command - so the article in the Contra cos times reports:
"Her longest solo flight was from Switzerland to Colorado, but after a year and a half of planning, she said she is prepared for the grueling 28,000-mile trip,...". 

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »

Now, now, Mr. Gillespie - don't you know that all the world is perception?

I'd say that Amelia Rose has learned that lesson rather well from Amelia Mary.

LTM, who knows a rose by any other name,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 07:50:27 AM »

And I will say this about Amelia Rose's trip - that sleek little turboprop looks a LOT more comfortable/quieter than Amelia and Fred's Electra.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 12:10:13 PM »

Maybe Monty's got a point; maybe we should all remember that many of us have our own flights of fancy and tend to want others to buy-into them, especially when they cost so damn much to give wing to.

Perception is the mother of something, it seems.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 12:25:30 PM »

I've been a bit horrified by the viciousness of the responses to my Facebook postings about Amelia Rose's misleading hype.  I'm torn between providing documentation that what I've said is true or just dropping it.  The latter is probably the wiser move but it's hard to sit back and watch somebody take the public for a ride.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 12:46:24 PM »

I've been a bit horrified by the viciousness of the responses to my Facebook postings about Amelia Rose's misleading hype.  I'm torn between providing documentation that what I've said is true or just dropping it.  The latter is probably the wiser move but it's hard to sit back and watch somebody take the public for a ride.

People love being taken for a ride--where would the midway be without that thrill?

I think it is probably in TIGHAR's best interest to cheer her on, wish her well, and welcome any of her audience who happen to browse over thisaway. 

There is a slogan about Three Cs from a 12-Step recovery group: we did not Cause her, we cannot Cure her, we cannot Control her.  If we are friendly, we might be able to Cash in on her notoriety.   8)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

JNev

• T5
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 12:56:45 PM »

Words of wisdom, Marty...

I am reminded, as I sit in my little glass house, that although one man's (or woman's) ride may be another's folly, I'm not chartered to officially comment in the public's interest most of the time.

Any hatefulness Ric got wasn't deserved, of course; but maybe TIGHAR's charter isn't perceived to reach into that of ombudsmanship for this sort of thing.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org