Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible Wing Flap  (Read 132485 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Possible Wing Flap
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 07:41:24 PM »

Below is a drawing of the structure of the outer wing of the Electra, according to Harney. Station 4 represents the outer end of the right aileron, station 3 the inner end.

Harney's cross-section is a rough schematic and I don't know how accurate it is.  Bill Harney did a great job but he wasn't perfect. We've found a number of errors in several of his drawings. We need to check either the Lockheed engineering drawings (which we hope to soon have) or a surviving Model 10 to be sure the cross-section is accurate. In any case, it's certainly not an adequate source from which to make an identification.

The proportion of the leading edge of the aileron to the fore-aft width of the aileron at station #4 is almost exactly 1:4. This corresponds to the ratio of these two dimensions in the capture reproduced below.

My measurement of the drawing indicates the proportion of the leading edge of the aileron to the fore-aft width of the aileron at station #3 is 1:3 and at station#4 it is more like 1:4.5.

In addition, the camber drawn by Harney is true to the camber on the surface of the object nearest the viewer.

As close as I can tell from Harney's drawing and from photos of Electras, the ailerons have no camber.

Furthermore, on the end of the aileron near the leading edge (i.e., at the bottom), one can make out a circle which most probably corresponds to the hinge attachment point.

I see no circle at the hinge attachment point.

Close examination of the trailing edge of the "possible" aileron reveals parallel vertical lines, stringers in the exact location to match the rivet spacing of the skin, approximately one per inch along each row of rivets on the aileron.

According to the Harney drawing, the Electra's ailerons are about 10.5 feet long and 15 inches front-to-back. How did you determine the size of the object in the video? 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:44:44 PM by Ric Gillespie »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 07:57:04 PM »

In addition to the "possible aileron", there appear to be two unrelated boxes adjacent, one with what looks like a toggle switch on the right end.

How big is the "box"?  How big is the "toggle switch"?  Half an inch?  An inch?  Six inches?  How do you know?

Steve Lyle Gunderson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 08:09:09 PM »

Lets go get it and find out. ;)
Steve G
#3911R

Steve Lyle Gunderson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 08:28:51 PM »

Anyone else start a list?
1.Richie's anomaly
2.Tim's wing flap
Steve G
#3911R

Adam Marsland

• T2
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 10:01:29 PM »

Depending of course on scale, I see many possible Chicken McNuggets-shaped targets too.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 10:29:26 PM »

Steve, Here is my hope to search list, so far.
1. The 2012 Debris Field identified by Jeff Glickman at 200 feet with the possible tire and fender that is SW of the Bevington Object. See new Bevington Object update here
2. The Sonar Anomaly that is SW of the Debris Field
3. The unsearched areas near there.
4. Expand digs at Seven Site.

Is a 2014 search possible?

3971R

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:49:02 PM by Greg Daspit »

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 11:14:16 PM »

1.Richie's anomaly
2.Tim's wing flap

Tim, thanks for posting, and TIGHAR leadership, thanks for permitting a bit of latitude for us camel-in-cloud conjecturers - sincerely appreciated.

My amateur armchair reckoning is that a search of Richie's sonar anomaly will turn up a wing flap. 

To Steve's question, in addition to underwater survey building on what was learned in Niku VII, wouldn't it be superb if research includes significant archeological work on the island, and in-depth research through previously classified holdings in the National Archives - U.S., U.K, Australia, New Zealand.  Go Niku VIII!  v/r JB
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 11:33:21 PM »

1.Richie's anomaly
2.Tim's wing flap

Tim, thanks for posting, and TIGHAR leadership, thanks for permitting a bit of latitude for us camel-in-cloud conjecturers - sincerely appreciated.

My amateur armchair reckoning is that a search of Richie's sonar anomaly will turn up a wing flap. 

To Steve's question, in addition to underwater survey building on what was learned in Niku VII, wouldn't it be superb if research includes significant archeological work on the island, and in-depth research through previously classified holdings in the National Archives - U.S., U.K, Australia, New Zealand.  Go Niku VIII!  v/r JB

John, the flap in your interpetation I believe to be less than five meters away from the "aileron" depicted.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 11:50:10 PM »

. . .the flap in your interpretation I believe to be less than five meters away from the "aileron" depicted.

Thanks Tim - interesting info!  Question for you - have you been able to correlate the time code on the HD video with the SD out on YouTube (i.e. is the time code the same?).  I've been wondering if it's possible to put together a photo mosaic of the whole area in the Niku VI ROV video.  While it won't be geographically accurate, it should be fairly representational of the geographic location, and therefore possible for a photo interpreter to correlate it with the sonar scan.  Anyway, I don't want to work with the HD stuff (for fear of swamping my hard drive).  If I'm able to correlate with what you're looking at it may be simpler to glue at this together.  v/r JB
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 01:05:37 AM »

Nobody here wants that thing to be an Electra aileron or flap more than I do, trust me - but I cannot say reliably that it is; I think I can say reliably that with a high degree of confidence that it is a calved piece of volcanic rock as Chris has described.  Or it could be coral for all I can tell - and it is very likely the case that mother nature has most cleverly used her eons of geologic and faunal time and material to create an image that my mind longs to see.

Jeff, as I pointed out to Chris "in another venue", I highly doubt the object in question is a volcanic outcrop for the following reason: if you examine the bottom of the right end of the object, you can see a slight shadow between the object and the surface below, which indicates that the two are spatially separated (IMHO).

Which, if I follow you, is why I used the term 'calved' - it appears to have been fractured away at some point in the geologic past to me, but I am certainly not a geologist.  IMHO as well, of course - doubly humble, since I am not expert at rocks or coral (but I'm good at 'paper-rock-scissors'  ;)).

The texture and color, so far as I can discern it in relative terms, makes me think of basalt somehow.  I've seen a fair bit of it used in Christ-era Capernaum construction - it's common in that area, as in many places where volcanic stuff happened, like around sea mounts.  Another example (Giant's Causeway) displays the often common geometric shapes that so often suggest 'man made' stuff - nature's just crazy, isn't it?

That’s what I was trying to get across, the non coral rock has been eroded or calved from it natural and being hard it has very defined edges that make it look man made.

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 01:08:34 AM »

1.Richie's anomaly
2.Tim's wing flap

John,

very compelting and a nice visual but does the way you present it here make my eyes see the shapes?  What we need is for Ric and Tim to bury the hatchet so to speak and get back there with a expedition planned in more? Detail with better equipment and intensively search around the Bevington Object area only.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 04:56:10 AM »

... in-depth research through previously classified holdings in the National Archives - U.S., U.K, Australia, New Zealand.

I spent a couple of weeks in Auckland in 2003 at the end of Bones II.

By reading indexes, I was able to see the kind of material in the "secret" WPHC archives.

It was mostly about territorial disputes.

Really quite dull.

Meanwhile, the bones file was not classified "secret" and was part
of the regular filing system. 
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 05:22:34 AM »

In the foreground there is plant/coral growth that could if ID'd provide an indication of size?

Chuck Lynch

• T1
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 07:30:21 AM »

So... you can't find a 30-foot (or so) fuselage, but you can find a toggle switch?

Come on.

I love TIGHAR... let's keep looking!

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 07:34:35 AM »

"I see dead people."

No, wait. That was a movie.

This is real life. It's important to recognize the difference between the two. Things you see on the screen may not always be real. Things that you can touch are, for the most part, real (don't get me started).

LTM, who knows what he doesn't know,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org