Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maid of Harlech Research Challenge #1: A photo of the aircraft.  (Read 22641 times)

Matt Rimmer

• TIGHAR member

Despite all the work Tighar members have put into researching The Maid and her pilot, Lt. Robert F. Elliott there are certain pieces of the jigsaw which remain elusive, and in the coming weeks I plan to post details of these missing pieces in the hope it may yield a breakthrough.

For the first Maid of Harlech research challenge, we have not as yet located a photo of The Maid prior to her forced landing at Harlech on September 27, 1942, so if any sharp-eyed forum members should locate a photo of a P-38 bearing the serial number 41-7677 or 17677 we would love to hear from you!.

Matt.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:58:20 AM by Matt Rimmer »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
Re: Maid of Harlech Research Challenge #1: A photo of the aircraft.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:16:58 AM »

Despite all the work Tighar members have put into researching The Maid and her pilot, Lt. Robert F. Elliott there are certain pieces of the jigsaw which remain elusive, and in the coming weeks I plan to post details of these missing pieces in the hope it may yield a breakthrough.

For the first Maid of Harlech research challenge, we have not as yet located a photo of The Maid prior to her forced landing at Harlech on September 27, 1942, so if any sharp-eyed forum members should locate a photo of a P-38 bearing the serial number 41-7677 or 17677 we would love to hear from you!.

Matt.

Matt, according to a listing of USAF serial numbers at joebaugher.com, and
found here the "Maid of Harlech" should have been a P-38F-1-LO, number 41-7677(see extract below).

The site does not list any aircraft with the number 41-17677 but that number falls in the middle of numbers for the Martin B-26B-1 according to the list.

Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:19:12 AM by C.W. Herndon »

Craig Fuller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »

Hi Woody,

That is correct, but the number that would be visible on the tail if a photo is found would be 17677. This is because for the tail number the first digit of the s/n and the dash are dropped.

Cheers,

Craig
Craig Fuller
AAIR

Matt Rimmer

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »

Thanks Woody, and I should have explained in my post why I stated 17677. Thanks Craig for posting an explanation!.

Matt.   

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »

Thanks Woody, and I should have explained in my post why I stated 17677. Thanks Craig for posting an explanation!.

Matt.

I agree. Here is a photo of some P-38Fs from the same time period reported to be refueling on the ferry flight from the US to England. The tail numbers are clearly visible on several of the aircraft.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Matt Rimmer

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:59:38 AM »

Thanks Woody, that's a great picture. Hopefully we will eventually locate one of The Maid.

Matt.

Robert Elliott

• T1
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 02:02:57 PM »

As you may know, I am Lt Elliott's nephew and have been doing research on his mia status since 1979. I do not have a photo of the Harlech P38 but Glacier Girl 17630 is the very same model and the only F model in flying condition.
I am very anxious to get the ball rolling somehow, including a personal visit at the site. There are two remaining pilots who were also in Wales during the Sept 1942 exercises. This is such a rare find that much value is just waiting to be redeemed.
I am very pleased to offer any assistance in providing information and participating in this project.
Capt Robert Elliott USNR Ret

Robert Elliott

• T1
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »

During Operation Bolero there were 164 P38's flown to Atcham from Presque Isle, Maine, among them the 14th FG 49th FS. 417677 was one of them, but my uncle was sent aboard the USS West Point with many other pilots and crew. There were more pilots than aircraft. I have a letter from him saying he was "going on a boat ride". Later I discovered that he and Dick Bong had been caught looping under the Golden Gate bridge during training and I suspect that is why he went by ship. General Kenny told him during his chewing out that that was the kind of skill needed for combat. Many p38 pilots have mentioned the bridge looping but few got caught!
I will contact P38 National about Bolero pics.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 03:31:28 PM by Robert Elliott »

Robert Elliott

• T1
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 08:17:02 AM »

The photo submitted by Mr. Herndon is indeed a great picture of brand new P38F's. I contacted P38 National Association and those planes are from the 1st FG 94TH FS in July 1942 we think at Labrador. I have asked the historian at P38 Assn to look at their many photos for 417677. It is a long shot, but what a find if one turns up. I remember that during the Glacier Girl restoration a photo was used with 417630 superimposed on an existing picture of a P38 in flight. I did not think highly of that at the time but it was a good advertisement. I do not suggest that for the Maid, however. I will keep in contact with P38 Assn as I am a member.

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 09:33:14 AM »

The photo submitted by Mr. Herndon is indeed a great picture of brand new P38F's. I contacted P38 National Association and those planes are from the 1st FG 94TH FS in July 1942 we think at Labrador.
I found the picture, see below, on this flickr website. It says that the picture was made during a refueling stop in Iceland but that could be wrong. It also says it was made in 1943, but based on the tail numbers, it seems likely that it could have been made in 1942.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org