Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Clearing the decks for action  (Read 15757 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Clearing the decks for action
« on: August 07, 2013, 09:11:54 AM »

Last year's Niku VII expedition had a $2,000,000 budget.  In the wake of the high-profile U.S. State Department event on March 20, 2012, Lockheed Martin, FedEx, Discovery Communications, Timothy Mellon, and many TIGHAR members responded with generous contributions that brought in about $1,600,000.  Trusting that the momentum would continue, we went ahead with the expedition - but, despite our best efforts, further significant sponsorship failed to materialize and we ended last year's Niku VII expedition nearly $400,000 in debt, most of it owed to the University of Hawaii for the charter of the expedition vessel KOK. 

The TIGHAR Board of Directors unanimously agreed that retiring that debt was a pre-requisite to fundraising for the next major expedition.  Although it was the honorable thing to do, that requirement presented a huge obstacle. Raising money for an upcoming expedition is hard enough.  Raising money to pay off old debts is much more difficult.  Over the past year we've paid along as we could and the university has been more than patient, but as of last week the debt still stood at more than $350,000.

Today the university will receive a check from TIGHAR for the full amount of the balance.  I'm delighted to announce that the members of TIGHAR’s Board of Directors have made it possible for TIGHAR to retire the outstanding debt from last year’s Niku VII expedition. Their generosity, inspired in large part by the faith and support exhibited by the TIGHAR members on this Forum, allows us to move forward with planning and fundraising for Niku VIII.

The absurd Mellon suit is now the last remaining impediment to progress but we're not letting it slow us down and we're confident that we'll prevail - maybe sooner, maybe later - but the outcome is not in doubt.  Because of you, TIGHAR is a far stronger and more resilient organization than our detractors imagine.  Thank you.

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
Re: Clearing the decks for action
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »

Wow, you have some good people on the Board of Directors, its great to hear that now we are looking ahead to the next expedition.

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:47:56 AM »

What a wonderful vote of confidence for TIGHAR!  Obviously, more than a few people see the whole Mellon lawsuit as being completely frivolous.  Just goes to show that Mellon is obviously not the only person in the world with deep pockets! 

I expect that by the end of the month we will either hear that this whole frivolous lawsuit has been thrown out or the whole world will be rattled with the news that Amelia Earhart's plane has amazingly already been discovered!

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:49:13 AM »

I would like to personally thank the board members for their support and generosity.  Would it be possible for you to release their names?  In any case, TIGHAR board members:  THANK YOU!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »

I would like to personally thank the board members for their support and generosity.  Would it be possible for you to release their names?  In any case, TIGHAR board members:  THANK YOU!

The names of the members of TIGHAR's Board of Directors are on the TIGHAR website.  All of them are incredibly dedicated and generous but not all are in a financial position to be this heroic.  The ones who are are not looking for individual recognition. 

Let me take this opportunity to say that the TIGHAR Board is the finest group of individuals it has ever been my pleasure to serve.

manjeet aujla

• T1
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 11:27:10 AM »

Bravo!

Mark Appel

• T3
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 11:39:51 AM »

What a noble, magnanimous gesture--emblematic of the culture of good faith and integrity at TIGHAR. From one small member I offer one huge thanks!
"Credibility is Everything"

Dave Potratz

• T2
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »

Let me take this opportunity to say that the TIGHAR Board is the finest group of individuals it has ever been my pleasure to serve.

HEAR, HEAR!   And, if I might, TIGHAR is one of the very finest groups it has ever been my pleasure to be a humble member.   

I suspect I'm not alone . . .

LTM,  whom I suspect would be  nodding her head.

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 12:00:54 PM »

Incredibly good news.

I will send another $100 to start building for the next trip.

And then I will repeat that as many times as my finances allow.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 01:19:56 PM »

Big Thanks To The Tighar Board

It is nice to see and know, That the board are as dedicated to running the organisation as us members are of researching on behalf of Tighar.

It is a pleasure to be part of a group, That will no doubt go down in history as being credited with the discovery of Amelia Earhart's final destination whether that be Niku or some were else, And many more aviation mystery's 

Thank's Richie

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 02:05:22 PM »

Thank you TIGHAR Board of Directors! :)
TIGHAR #4284R

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 03:00:48 PM »

This is incredibly good news. Thanks to the amazing generosity of the Board Members! It is a testament, I think, to the organization. Hopefully this is the start of a bunch of good things, including throwing out the lawsuit, and more donors stepping up.

Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 03:50:50 PM »

Overwhelming!  Simply overwhelming!  Especially to one who would love to, but can not do more to help financially at this time.   
But keep up the membership drives.  This organization could be reaching it's critical mass level.  Sometimes even questionable PR is still PR, especially when it turns out in your favor...as this one later this month most likely will.   
TIGHAR Member #4154

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 11:14:49 PM »

What a beautiful and generous thing to do. A wonderful breath of fresh air.
Thank you Board of Directors for your dedication.

Bob Harmon
TIGHAR #4294R

Peter F Kearney

• T1
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 11:40:04 PM »

Great big thanks to the Tighar Board. With things going this well providence must be smiling on us and we have got to be successful
Peter
TIGHAR No. 4303R

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org