Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: oil painting  (Read 7334 times)

Frank Jasek

• T1
oil painting
« on: July 30, 2013, 01:09:49 PM »

I am an amateur artist, I painted 9 aviation paintings for a book http://www.soldierswoodencross.info/home I would like to paint Amelia's landing on Niku. What is the consensus of opinion. Good landing, broken landing gear or other?

James G. Stoveken

• T2
Re: oil painting
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 02:03:41 PM »

In my mind I've always pictured the landing like this... After a long, stressful flight, Gardner is spotted and after a quick look around the reef flat is chosen as the only place where the plane can possibly be saved.  Amelia sets up the approach and touches down exactly where she wants.  The plane is rolling out nicely and just as our heroes realize they've made it and begin to relax, the left gear finds a hole/crack in the coral and the plane makes a semi-violent ground loop to the left as it pivots around the jammed gear.  Though belted in their seats, Amelia and Fred are flung to the right with Fred's head bashing up against the right side of the cockpit.  The plane sits facing the sea with a lowered left wing due to the severely damaged gear.

Whatever way you decide to paint it Frank, I hope you'll share it with us.  Good luck!
Jim Stoveken

Frank Jasek

• T1
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 02:52:34 PM »

James, Thanks for quick reply. I will most certainly share the results. I would like to share one of my paintings, how can I do that?

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 03:43:40 PM »

I think it was like landing on a few inches of water. Like this landing, only on water for the whole landing. No broken landing gear during the landing. I think that came days later when the plane was washed or blown off the reef.

3971R

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:36:48 PM by Greg Daspit »

Glenn McInnes

• T1
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »

In my mind I've always pictured the landing like this... After a long, stressful flight, Gardner is spotted and after a quick look around the reef flat is chosen as the only place where the plane can possibly be saved.  Amelia sets up the approach and touches down exactly where she wants.  The plane is rolling out nicely and just as our heroes realize they've made it and begin to relax, the left gear finds a hole/crack in the coral and the plane makes a semi-violent ground loop to the left as it pivots around the jammed gear.  Though belted in their seats, Amelia and Fred are flung to the right with Fred's head bashing up against the right side of the cockpit.  The plane sits facing the sea with a lowered left wing due to the severely damaged gear.

Agree..I too think that they had a rough landing.

Ricker H Jones

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 04:18:29 PM »

Here's an example of another plane that  landed on on a Pacific reef at about the same period.  And a good picture of the Nikumaroro reef where it is theorized that Earhart may have made her landing can be found here.
Rick J

don hirth

• T1
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 04:59:27 PM »

'Sounds like a worthy endeavor. You could go either way regarding a damaged wheel. 'Looking forward to your completion of this. Best regards
dlh

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org