Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Norwich City Photo  (Read 20112 times)

Glenn McInnes

• T1
Norwich City Photo
« on: July 18, 2013, 10:10:40 AM »

A bit soon I know,but is anyone else seeing what could be the name on the bow of the ship?

Glenn

Irvine John Donald

• T5
Re: Norwich City Photo
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »

Hi Glenn

That's quite possible. It certainly seems to be located in the right place on the bow.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 01:24:42 PM »

Now that would be a great find from the photo's and add credence to the thought that Betty miss heard the name Norwich City for New York City.

Glenn McInnes

• T1
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:40:02 PM »

Now that would be a great find from the photo's and add credence to the thought that Betty miss heard the name Norwich City for New York City.

Exactly Chris..I was thinking the same.

Glenn

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 01:44:30 PM »

We already know that the Norwich City's name was painted in large white letters, on the bows and across the stern of the ship, see this photo taken about a year before her wreck: http://tighar.org/wiki/File:Norwich_City_at_the_Burrard_Drydock_Co._for_Repairs_(7346).jpg ; it appears that the painted-on name was worn off by the time the Kiwi's showed up: http://tighar.org/wiki/File:Norwich_City_in_1938_NZ_Pacific_Aviation_Survey_Photo.jpg. That's the starboard side of the ship; maybe the port side (which is what we can see in the aerial survey photo), did retain traces of the painted on name.

The Norwich City  was originally called the Normanby, and the common shipyard practice at that time (and today as well) was to weld or rivet large metal letters spelling out the ship's name directly to the hull, so as to ease the frequent repainting required.  We haven't been able to determine if the old name was removed and new metal letters were installed, I think it possible but not likely. However, people who explored the wreck before it became so deteriorated reported that ship's equipment with both names readable was still on board.

LTM, who tries no to mix things up,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 219 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:50:21 PM by Bruce Thomas »

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 01:48:33 PM »

There was some discussion on moulded names and painting and I found it to be the case that vessels when renamed generally just had the painted name.  I have seen painted over raised names so begs the question if this was the case.  Can Normanby become New York City  :P

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »

There was some discussion on moulded names and painting and I found it to be the case that vessels when renamed generally just had the painted name.  I have seen painted over raised names so begs the question if this was the case.  Can Normanby become New York City  :P
No, but Normanby can become Norwich City!  I found this comment on the Forum for the Reardon Smith company
Normanby - built West Hartlepool by Wm Gray 1911 4219 gt. sold 1917 to SJss for £121000 & renamed Norwich City (Notice how they managed to save on paint by keeping the first 3 letters of the new name...and judging by the practices of the time, maybe I jest not !!)
I ran across this as I've been trying to see if the white at the bow of Norwich City in the NZ pictures might have been part of a paint scheme switch that Reardon Smith Lines could have mandated for their ships in the years before the NC running onto the Gardner reef. I seem to recall noticing pictures of some other ships named ".... City" having that white paint on the bow.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 02:08:22 PM »

Interesting, thanks Bruce  :)

Lets hope Jeff G can shed some light on this for us but in the mean time keep looking.

Kevin Weeks

• T3
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 02:10:30 PM »

here's an image of the norwich city from a similar angle to the wreck picture. shows the name to be in a similar location.

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »

No, but Normanby can become Norwich City!  I found this comment on the Forum for the Reardon Smith company
Normanby - built West Hartlepool by Wm Gray 1911 4219 gt. sold 1917 to SJss for £121000 & renamed Norwich City (Notice how they managed to save on paint by keeping the first 3 letters of the new name...and judging by the practices of the time, maybe I jest not !!)
I ran across this as I've been trying to see if the white at the bow of Norwich City in the NZ pictures might have been part of a paint scheme switch that Reardon Smith Lines could have mandated for their ships in the years before the NC running onto the Gardner reef. I seem to recall noticing pictures of some other ships named ".... City" having that white paint on the bow.

Not related to the overall thread but......I used to work for a German Shipping company and when the ships sailed into port at Hamburg they always ensured that the side facing the office was painted so that if the management saw it they would be pleased.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 02:43:28 PM »

The New Zealand survey party knows the name of the ship.
"The afternoon was spent searching unsuccessfully for an anchorage and a landing was made on lst December, the vessel mooring to the wreck Norwich City."

In 1940, Gallagher knows the name of the ship but everything else he knows about it is rumor (and incorrect).

There is a suggestion of lighter colored pixels on the port side of the bow in the place where the name appears in earlier photos of the ship.

Dave Peterson

• T1
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »

Is this the full resolution of the scanned negative?

Is the camera pixel resolution higher than the film grain? That is, do the full resolution scans actually show the film grain so that the film grain is the limiting factor in the image resolution?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »

Is this the full resolution of the scanned negative?

Is the camera pixel resolution higher than the film grain? That is, do the full resolution scans actually show the film grain so that the film grain is the limiting factor in the image resolution?

Yes.

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 09:15:37 PM »

Ric, did Jeff use a Nikon D800 again to take the photos?  Same gear as Be ingot. Object?  Thanks.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 10:33:25 PM »

Marty,
Need your help in getting this into the right subject line.

Regarding the Dr. Berry's freckle cream search I have found that there was another company marketing a simular cream in the same bottle:  The name of the company was Goodrich Drug Co. Omaha, NB. under the product name of Velvetina.

Maybe the "jar" guys can find more information for us.

Ted Campbell
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org