Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: 1938 Aerial Photos  (Read 386509 times)

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
Re: 1938 Aerial Photos
« Reply #255 on: August 06, 2013, 08:12:51 AM »

Not sure the museum pics are low res. Look at these specs:

The resulting file will be 48bit, RGB, Tiff, at 5000px on long edge at 3000 dpi, with a resulting file size of approximately 1.5GB. They will be optical scans with no interpolation. The price is $14 +GST per frame. There are 47 frames in total on the roll.

Isn't that hi-res?

Makes it look more attractive for people who only want a few to look at.

Kevin Weeks

• T3
« Reply #256 on: August 06, 2013, 09:19:49 AM »

Not sure the museum pics are low res. Look at these specs:

The resulting file will be 48bit, RGB, Tiff, at 5000px on long edge at 3000 dpi, with a resulting file size of approximately 1.5GB. They will be optical scans with no interpolation. The price is $14 +GST per frame. There are 47 frames in total on the roll.

Isn't that hi-res?

Makes it look more attractive for people who only want a few to look at.

By lo-resolution I am referring to the groups of pictures that were sent to me to reference which frames I would like to purchase. they are definitely not sending low resolution images out for the $14 price.

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
« Reply #257 on: August 06, 2013, 09:59:47 AM »

By lo-resolution I am referring to the groups of pictures that were sent to me to reference which frames I would like to purchase. they are definitely not sending low resolution images out for the $14 price.

Yeah, I think they might even be using the same set of hi-res negatives that Ric &  Jeff left at the museum.

That would be a good second source for someone who doesn't want to do the Researcher level on Tighar.

A guy would really have to buy two shots of the same area to eliminate photo flaws, though. Like the 2 best shots of the seven site or the 2 best shots of the landing site. Even if a guy bought all 4 of those it would be less than Researcher membership by a wide margin.

I guess the only disadvantage is it would be impossible to really compare anomalies directly with Researchers, because of the different scans used. But if they are both using the same negatives it would be close.

Michael Calvin Powell

• T1
« Reply #258 on: August 07, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »

Why would anyone try to save money by buying from the museum instead of uping their membership to Researcher level?  If you care about this effort then you should put your money behind it here.
Tighar Researcher

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #259 on: August 07, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »

Exactly, Mr. Powell.

I can see this spiraling down into a, "I (insert name here) personally found Amelia," kind of thing.

If that's what floats your boat, well, then, good for you. Just don't forget who rendered those images high resolution in the first place. That's right, TIGHAR.

LTM, who prefers to pass the ammunition,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Doug Giese

• inactive
« Reply #260 on: August 12, 2013, 08:28:09 PM »

Any preliminary findings from the study group?
------
Doug

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: August 13, 2013, 03:17:59 AM »

No.  I doubt very much that there will be many, if any, interim reports.

If you've ever traveled with children, you might know how annoying it is for them to keep asking, "Are we there yet?"  I'm pretty sure that TIGHAR plans to wring as much information as it can from the photos--and to make the information publicly available as soon as humanly possible for a group of volunteers.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #262 on: August 13, 2013, 11:36:23 AM »

Marty is right. We're just getting started. There is a lot to look at and there's a learning curve in being able to distinguish possible objects from natural features.  There will be many false alarms.  We'll only report on stuff that passes muster. 

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #263 on: August 29, 2013, 10:26:35 AM »

Exactly. Unfortunately, this endeavor is not one for the instant gratification crowd. The only way to do it and make sure we don't miss anything is to be relentlessly, grindingly thorough. And that takes time.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #264 on: August 29, 2013, 11:25:12 AM »

It sure would be nice if you could pass along to us armchair analysts any helpful keys (scale; resolution sizes, references; etc.) that you guys determine, so we can all be on the same page.

Gus Rubio

• T2
« Reply #265 on: September 03, 2013, 08:10:51 AM »

Ric,

Curious about how much dirt or scratching is present on the negatives.  Many of the period pictures we've seen of the island have their fair share of artifacts from dirt, etc., which can cause false alarms and lead to debates over possible artificial objects.  Hopefully the 1938 pics will not have that problem to such a degree.  Thanks.

Having been sealed up still uncut for so long, it seems like they were not handled very much until now. 

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #266 on: September 03, 2013, 08:23:57 AM »

Curious about how much dirt or scratching is present on the negatives.  Many of the period pictures we've seen of the island have their fair share of artifacts from dirt, etc., which can cause false alarms and lead to debates over possible artificial objects.  Hopefully the 1938 pics will not have that problem to such a degree. 

The negatives are in relatively excellent condition but flaws, dust specks, and scathes are inevitable.  The study group is learning how to spot the false alarms.

Chuck Lynch

• T1
« Reply #267 on: September 03, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »

I just want to tell you all "Good luck!" We're all counting on you.

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #268 on: October 09, 2013, 12:40:35 AM »

Hello Ric,

I was looking at your topic starter , your first entry shows three pictures; the one titled western shore jig , it is the one with the Norwich City ship , anyway ....I know people have been known to see things that are not there if you look to long , but what caught my eye right away was in the reef just to the left of the wreck If you blow up the picture it looks to me like SOS  , actually SCS but maybe faint outline of an O , what do you think?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #269 on: October 09, 2013, 07:56:42 AM »

what do you think?

I think you're a troll who is simply trying to waste our time with dumb postings. I have put you under moderation. 
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org