Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marshall Fields and Company of Chicago (104 State/Washington Street)  (Read 16586 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member

Hi! I've been up in Chicago for a few days now, and enjoying my vacation and doing research. Anyway, my research stemmed from a clipping out of the Chicago Tribune several months ago that dated in the early 1900's. Anyway, Dr. Berry was listed in the clipping as being one of the most outstanding physicians of his days and highly respected. Anyway, his address at the time was 104 State/Washington St in Chicago, Illinois. This particular address is located somewhere in the Marshall Fields & Company building, and was in the vicinity of the Old Chicago Theatre and Theatre District in the 1900's. As of today, this building still stands. What makes this really unique is during that time period...this vicinity was well renowned and was visited by high profile actors, actresses, celebrities, and ambassadors. Anyway, after visiting the once then Marshall Fields & Company building (now home to Macy's and other stores of beauty cosmetics). I found myself wondering if it was possible that Amelia might have paid a visit to the building. Turns out she did. After looking at all the fresco in the ceiling and the interior design of the building, I asked if anyone in the building knew of its tenants and the history. Turns out that Marshall's had recently celebrated a renovation project and a celebration of the past of this wonderful building. In their visitor center and small museum of pictures I stumbled across the picture of Amelia that was taken from the actual store itself in the early 1900's. This is a unique picture, as I myself have never seen it. If anyone has seen this picture let me know. Anyway, its really neat, and its almost leading to wonder if she's in an actual doctors office or getting beauty makeup applied. Either way, its a unique picture
   In the days to come I will add more pictures of this building and its surroundings to give you a better idea of what I'm getting at. Anyway, here is the picture~~~ Thanks~~~~~

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Re: Marshall Fields and Company of Chicago (104 State/Washington Street)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:50:29 PM »

Almost forgot to mention, that I was informed that at one point, during past renovation that some of Marshall's historical archives and artifacts were moved to the Chicago Historical Museum, in which I plan to visit tomorrow~~~. Wish me luck~~~~ Thanks~~~~

Mark Appel

• T3
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:35:17 PM »

Very fine and provocative work!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your stay and research; Chicago is a fabulous city--one of the great walking and living cities on the planet (and that comes from a San Francisco native...).
"Credibility is Everything"

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:58:04 AM »

Here a few pics of Marshall Fields!

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:04:09 AM »

The interior of Marshall Fields is quite interesting with its decorative ceiling and openness. The most interesting thing about this building is the original Walnut Room on the 7th floor!!!

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 11:23:38 AM »

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »

Hi! I've been up in Chicago for a few days now, and enjoying my vacation and doing research. Anyway, my research stemmed from a clipping out of the Chicago Tribune several months ago that dated in the early 1900's. Anyway, Dr. Berry was listed in the clipping as being one of the most outstanding physicians of his days and highly respected. Anyway, his address at the time was 104 State/Washington St in Chicago, Illinois. This particular address is located somewhere in the Marshall Fields & Company building, and was in the vicinity of the Old Chicago Theatre and Theatre District in the 1900's. As of today, this building still stands. What makes this really unique is during that time period...this vicinity was well renowned and was visited by high profile actors, actresses, celebrities, and ambassadors. Anyway, after visiting the once then Marshall Fields & Company building (now home to Macy's and other stores of beauty cosmetics). I found myself wondering if it was possible that Amelia might have paid a visit to the building. Turns out she did. After looking at all the fresco in the ceiling and the interior design of the building, I asked if anyone in the building knew of its tenants and the history. Turns out that Marshall's had recently celebrated a renovation project and a celebration of the past of this wonderful building. In their visitor center and small museum of pictures I stumbled across the picture of Amelia that was taken from the actual store itself in the early 1900's. This is a unique picture, as I myself have never seen it. If anyone has seen this picture let me know. Anyway, its really neat, and its almost leading to wonder if she's in an actual doctors office or getting beauty makeup applied. Either way, its a unique picture
   In the days to come I will add more pictures of this building and its surroundings to give you a better idea of what I'm getting at. Anyway, here is the picture~~~ Thanks~~~~~

Randy,

Thanks very much for checking this out.

You must be clairvoyant as well as impressively persistent because TIGHAR chemist Greg George has been on the Marshall Fields trail (and many other trails as well) for about a month.  He agreed to let me post one of his recent emails.  Maybe this message could be a starting point for a search of any Marshall Fields archives?  Hope this helps and enjoy Chicago!

Joe Cerniglia
TIGHAR #3078 ECR

-----------------
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 00:24:17 -0500
Subject: AE may have crossed paths with C. H. Berry's radio ad man while at Marshall Fields in Chicago in 1934
To: Joe Cerniglia, Tom King, Bill Lockhart

Joe, Tom and Bill -

This document puts the former C. H. Berry advertising manager, Fred Harm, as General Station Manager of WJJD owned by Marshall Fields (who also owned two Chicago newspapers) as early as 1934.   I suspect he continued to run ads for his former company.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-Annual/1953/401-500-RA-1953.pdf

WJJD was a very big station, one of the most powerful in the country.   If AE gave any interviews in Chicago after 1934, she may well have run into the former Kremola ad man.

Please note also that it is well known that AE went to Chicago in 1934 to launch her new fashion line, which failed within one season.   

AE visited Marshall Fields while in Chicago, and there was an "Amelia Earhart" shop in the store specifically for the new clothing line.   She became very attentive to her appearance during this period, trying to shed the "grimy butch aviator" persona and look more beautiful, because she said flying was a beautiful experience for her.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ADkfYX2CtjIC&pg=PA93&lpg=PA93&dq=U.+S.+Rubber,+Catalogue+for+Amelia+Earhart+Clothing&source=bl&ots=M25f9wb3vz&sig=Lhq58O6vx2lWU3nHJWDeh-1gd5I&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KW6MUb3BOIHkyAGXw4DYCQ&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Earhart&f=false

Did Mr. Fields have his newspaper and radio ad men, including Harm, at the hugely significant store event?    I'll bet he did, but I can't support this in any way (I've looked).   Of course it would have been unthinkable for Fred Harm to hand AE a jar of freckle cream from his former employer C. H. Berry.   But the temptation to have her photographed with one would have been enormous.   Maybe he gave a special jar to one of her entourage...

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-Annual/1953/401-500-RA-1953.pdf

- Greg

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 12:02:18 AM »

Hi! As many of you know, I've been very busy this afternoon trying to track down details in regards to Amelia and Dr. Berry and Company. As I mentioned in the above post, that I ran across an ad that I posted back sometime ago, with details of Dr. Berry and the compliments and references he received, and his address. This listing was dated back to 1893 time frame. Anyway, as of this afternoon I was corrected by the local historian of Chicago from the Chicago Historical Museum, and she told me that 104 State/Washington Street was actually caddy corner from where Marshall Fields & Company is as we speak. (See Photo)
      Apparently prior to 1911, the streets and addresses were sit up differently. The streets stayed the same, but the numbers changed. Anyway, if any of you are interested in this you can contact the Chicago Historical museum and ask to have a ProQuest Subscription or just ask for information in regards to this matter. The museum has a research center up on the third floor and is well established. This afternoon, she also went back several  years prior to 1915 and found out that there was only one phone number addressed to Dr. Berry and that was W.B. Forsythe., who lived on 2729 Michigan Ave. Apparently, W. B. Forsythe ran his business out of his home. Prior to Forsythe, the business was run by a Frank Moran. Then before that, was Dr. Berry. Anyway, Dr. Berry had his office along with other offices in the building that was before the Reliance Bldg.. This is the one I said sits directly caddy corner from the State/Washington corner of the Marshall Fields & Company bldg. Anyway, according to the map that the historian showed me...that Dr. Berry had several other druggists working with him, and they worked out of the same building  Anyway, the historiian told me she was completely baffled and didnt know what to say in regards to this matter. Anyway, the time frame on the box is anywhere from 1906 to 1912. I'm assuming now as many of you might be...that I believe our jar is a pharmacutical jar made up from a druggist himself. Here is the pic from the Reliance Building that sits across the street.!!!!!!!

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 05:52:27 AM »

I just got through reading all of your post Joe, as walking the streets of Lincoln Park, can actually take its toll on the body. Anyway, the museum that I was at yesterday, had its very own display of Marshall Fields & Company. It was a nice display, and I was taken back by the magazine displays it had back during that time frame. Really unique...if I should say so myself. Anyway, however I was hoping to find something of more value than that, but hadn't. Before I leave Chicago today...I'm hoping to have the research center look into the name of that building and the name of Berry's business if possible. Anyway, the Marshall Fields & Company is a unique part of history...as its interior hasnt changed in years. What is a plus...is the Walnut room on the 7th floor with the fountain in the middle of the room. I've also been recommended by a local antique dealer to contact a lady in Chicago/Beford Street who is knowledgeable in jars and bottles. I was told...if she didn't have it...she probably would know where to find it. Anyway...if you have any more questions...feel free to ask before I hit the train this afternoon at 3:00PM. Thanks!!!!

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 06:06:37 AM »

Joe and others...Here is the pdf file from the Chicago Tribune that I downloaded several months back!!! Very interesting...Notice towards the bottom of the page of the prominent business men that Dr. Berry highly recommended. Notice the Marshall Fields Connection!~~~~

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »

Randy,
I'm so glad you're doing this. It's all very interesting. Thanks for that great picture of Amelia that I'd never seen before. I'm real eager to hear what the woman on Bedford Street had to say. It would be great if she'd seen/heard of a clear glass jar of Freckle Cream!
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 10:45:12 AM »

Thanks for replying Gloria...As of this morning...she still hasn't called. But, I did have the opportunity of walking by both stores on Bedford street. Kinda of an unusual neighborhood. Anyway, the other antique shop Lazy Dogs Antiques told me that she is sometimes hard to reach as she is most notable person in all of Chicago. So I'm assuming she has quite the collection. But, its funny that every time I go into a shop either in Chicago or Kansas and ask them bout this jar...it seems like everyone knows about it now. So it tells me that people are looking. If this is the case...then my intuitions are correct...and out of the past two years of looking...we have a jar that fits into a box I found in Kansas, and no other jar has been found as of today that matches the artifact jar...then this jar is of great value. My belief is that this jar is a pharmacutical jar...especially made for druggists and their wares. I don't know much about how many of these Hazel Atlas jars were made. But, I think this particular jar was set aside for this purpose and this purpose only.
  Anyway, as I might have mentioned in an earlier post...my trip to Chicago was somewhat of a worthy one...as I did find certain facts that may lead to believe that this jar holds a major significant value. Knowlingly that Amelia had visited Marshall Fields & Company, and the other that Dr. Berry (not W.B. Forsythe...who was the third owner of Dr. Berry Freckle Ointment assets) had an office across the street from Marshall Fields & Company. Anyway the Chicago Historical Museum showed me a map of the 1911 business district matching that certain address, and it was labeled only druggist offices. I'm hoping soon to find out a name of that particular business or if Dr. Berry just had an office by himself. Anyway, its getting very interesting!!!

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 11:12:05 PM »

Hi! As many of you know, I've been very busy this afternoon trying to track down details in regards to Amelia and Dr. Berry and Company. As I mentioned in the above post, that I ran across an ad that I posted back sometime ago, with details of Dr. Berry and the compliments and references he received, and his address. This listing was dated back to 1893 time frame. Anyway, as of this afternoon I was corrected by the local historian of Chicago from the Chicago Historical Museum, and she told me that 104 State/Washington Street was actually caddy corner from where Marshall Fields & Company is as we speak. (See Photo)
      Apparently prior to 1911, the streets and addresses were sit up differently. The streets stayed the same, but the numbers changed. Anyway, if any of you are interested in this you can contact the Chicago Historical museum and ask to have a ProQuest Subscription or just ask for information in regards to this matter. The museum has a research center up on the third floor and is well established. This afternoon, she also went back several  years prior to 1915 and found out that there was only one phone number addressed to Dr. Berry and that was W.B. Forsythe., who lived on 2729 Michigan Ave. Apparently, W. B. Forsythe ran his business out of his home. Prior to Forsythe, the business was run by a Frank Moran. Then before that, was Dr. Berry. Anyway, Dr. Berry had his office along with other offices in the building that was the Reliance Bldg.. This is the one I said sits directly caddy corner from the State/Washington corner of the Marshall Fields & Company bldg. Anyway, according to the map that the historian showed me...that Dr. Berry had several other druggists working with him, and they worked out of the same building  Anyway, the historiian told me she was completely baffled and didnt know what to say in regards to this matter. Anyway, the time frame on the box is anywhere from 1906 to 1912. I'm assuming now as many of you might be...that I believe our jar is a pharmacutical jar made up from a druggist himself. Here is the pic from the Reliance Building that sits across the street.!!!!!!!

Oops!!! The comment I made in an earlier post about Dr. Berry working in another office before the Reliance bldg. was wrong. With everyone talking to me about the Reliance bldg in the past few days...they themselves forgot to mention to me that its not called that anymore. Anyway, the Reliance bldg has been there for quite sometime. Very interesting.!!!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:00:12 AM by Bruce Thomas »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org