Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cook Photo  (Read 125671 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: The Cook Photo
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2013, 10:32:08 AM »

I agree that the cleanest, highest resolution versions of this should be made available if we are serious about studying this.

Lloyd, this is not amateur night. TIGHAR is indeed serious about studying all of the available imagery that might provide clues to solving the mystery of the Earhart disappearance.  That's why we seek the advice of experts and openly discuss their findings.  That's why jeff Glickman and I are going to New Zealand next week.
After exhaustive review and discussion, I remain satisfied that there is nothing of importance in the 2010 ROV video. That's why I'm not going to go to great lengths to make available the huge full-resolution files.  If you want to review previously expressed imaginings about objects in the video I suggest you visit Summary of Debris from 2010 Video .  The thread is locked so you won't be able to add your imaginings there, or here.  I locked the topic on January 13, 2013 because I felt the bizarre nature of the imaginings were hurting TIGHAR's credibility.  Subsequent events have reinforced that opinion.

We're not going to entertain further discussion of the 2010 ROV video.  The topic of this thread is the Cook Photo.  I'll remove off-topic postings.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2013, 11:28:54 AM »

If some percentage of your identifications are false positives, then I think we can resolve that by following the "hits" we see going uphill. There could be one of the wings, an engine, propeller and one of the landing gear sets above. And as far as orientation, I am to understand that this area is generally below the "Bevington line" at about 300 m depth?

Thanks for helping obtain these images and all the time you put into analyzing them.
Lloyd

LLoyd, IMHO it only takes one positive identification to secure certainty as to the demise of NR16020. The Ignition Switch, in my estimation, is one of many. Experts agree that there is a debris field here where the ROV cruised in 2010. And the location can be ascertained as that of Site #1 from the 2012 expedition because many objects are common to both HD videos, even though the terrain had shifted slightly between the two years. The depth of this field goes from 980 to about 1005 feet. The cockpit of the airplane is at the lower depth and can be seen not only in the 2010 HD video posted by TIGHAR, but also in the 2012 Standard Definition and 2012 High Definition videos.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2013, 12:14:29 PM »

Experts agree that there is a debris field here where the ROV cruised in 2010.

Cite your experts.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »

Cite your experts.

You'll meet them in Casper.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2013, 12:33:38 PM »

The first is from the 960x540 definition video that you have posted, the second from the 1920x1080 definition video that only I (and Jeff Glickman) have had the opportunity to analyze.

As clearly documented in the excerpt from the Discovery show, you are mistaken.

I see no evidence in this clip that you were looking at 1920x1080 video. I inferred from Mark Smith that considerable computer processing was necessary (on land) before this level of definition could be viewed.

The full resolution video was examined in real time by the ROV operator and, later that night analyzed by, I count, nine people including myself.  Although the Discover clip shows only our examination of the possible wire, I can assure you that we were looking for anything else that might be remotely interesting.  We saw nothing,

In one night, I'm not surprised.

Jeff Glickman later saw nothing,

Again, not surprised.

and I still see nothing but lumps of coral in the still from the full resolution video you posted.

My coral expert disagrees.

By the way, perhaps the reason you couldn't find the piece of wire again the next day is that it was dislodged (purposely, IMO) from its perch in the 8.55 minute video you posted (at 13:44:13, frame 15). It flew downhill and landed on the edge of the cockpit (at 13:44:27, frame 24).
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:42:58 PM by Tim Mellon »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2013, 06:29:28 AM »

I've asked Mark Smith to send me the entire full-resolution 2010 Wire & Rope video.  I'll make it available to anyone who wants to see it.  I'm not sure yet what mechanism we'll use.  It depends on the size of the file.  If possible, I'll put it in our DropBox account and just open it up to free access.  I'll let everybody know as soon as we have it figured out.

I have no intention of opening another round of camel spotting but I want to make the full-res version available to those who want to see it. 

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2013, 10:32:14 AM »

Count me in Ric plz
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2013, 11:31:53 AM »

I've asked Mark Smith to send me the entire full-resolution 2010 Wire & Rope video.  I'll make it available to anyone who wants to see it.  I'm not sure yet what mechanism we'll use.  It depends on the size of the file.  If possible, I'll put it in our DropBox account and just open it up to free access.  I'll let everybody know as soon as we have it figured out.

I have no intention of opening another round of camel spotting but I want to make the full-res version available to those who want to see it.

Thank you, Ric.

May I respectfully recommend VLC media player as a platform by which to view these videos. Speed can be controlled by clicking:

Playback>Speed>Slower

This allows one of six speeds, the slowest of which requires selecting as above sequentially five times (about 2 frames per second).  Slower computers will not be able to keep up in real time. My hp ENVY dv7 is sufficiently fast.

Each minute of video requires a gigabyte of storage, so you may have to offload parts to a stick when not in use.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:44:15 AM by Tim Mellon »

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »

Cite your experts.

You'll meet them in Casper.

Mr. Mellon,
I, personally, think that TIGHAR is showing extreme generosity and forebearance in allowing you to continue to post on this forum, considering that you are suing the entity an amount of money that it cannot afford and does not have. Comments with a tone like, "You'll meet them in Casper" does nothing to advance your case, in my opinion. Others may disagree.

LTM, who feels an urge to visit relatives in Casper,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2013, 02:10:09 PM »

Well said Monty, I agree.

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2013, 02:18:27 PM »

Monty:
I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for expressing my thoughts exactly!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »

Here's a classic example of how coral can fool you.  A Forum member sent me a private message pointing out another "man-made" object in the Cook Photo (He did not copy the photo.  He told me what he saw and where to look.)  In the full photo (white arrow) it looks like a round or semicircular object with a hole in the middle.  When you get up close you can see that it's just a rock with a clump of marine growth on it.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2013, 12:02:12 PM »

Ric, you asked:  Why?  Do you think you see something in a different part of the photo?

Since I can not download and repost the picture, yes I do, at about 100 degrees near the edge of the photo (in the 'brighter' area') I find those circular objects most interesting.  And what "appears" to be a cable, or something with connectors on the end, just above them.  Especially those connector looking objects. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »

Ric, you asked:  Why?  Do you think you see something in a different part of the photo?

Since I can not download and repost the picture, yes I do, at about 100 degrees near the edge of the photo (in the 'brighter' area') I find those circular objects most interesting.  And what "appears" to be a cable, or something with connectors on the end, just above them.  Especially those connector looking objects.

I think I see what you're looking at.  There are two circular objects and what might be something linear in the lower right corner of this detail from the photo but I don't see anything that looks definitely man-made.  As I've often said, the coral presents an incredible variety of shapes for the human mind to turn into whatever we want them to be.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »

Yes, now that you've given me a closer and clearer look, I don't see it either. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org