Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Article about Ann Pellegreno  (Read 8722 times)

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
Article about Ann Pellegreno
« on: August 01, 2016, 09:14:04 AM »

Link to an article I saw today on facebook regarding Ann Pellegreno, a flier from my hometown who retraced Amelia Earhart's flight in the late 1960's. There is a photo of the parade our town held afterwards, which I remember well, even though I was only 6. Oh well-my small tie in to the Earhart mystery!

Michigan Today-Ann Pellegreno
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Article about Ann Pellegreno
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:24:18 AM »

I took this photo of her Electra 49 years ago (Aaaargh!) in August 1967 at the EAA Fly-In in Rockford, IL (back in the pre-Oshkosh era). Ann later bought into the whole Japanese Capture idiocy but she and I had a good talk in Atchison a few years ago when I was the featured speaker at the Earhart Festival. 

I just noticed the big nonstandard air scoops on the inboard side of the engines.  I wonder what they were for? The airplane is a 10A with 450 hp R-985s.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:27:18 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:58:01 AM »

Skeet Gifford and I met her in Atchison. She tried to convince us that Rollin Reineck's book is the "real story of Amelia's disappearance."

Maybe she didn't notice our TIGHAR shirts!

Karen Hoy #2610 CER

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 01:01:43 PM »

World Flight - the Earhart Trail is a pretty good read.  I've had a copy for many years and still pull it out and read sections of it.  Even in 1967 it is interesting how similar some of the problems she faced echoed the ones AE and FN had in 1937.  Their difficulty seeing Howland Island and how a DF fix from the CG cutter Blackhaw enabled them to successfully overfly Howland is a strong counterpoint to the lack of communication AE and FN faced.

If you can find a copy its well-worth the time to read.

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 03:10:39 PM »

There's four copies on ebay right now. One of them is autographed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org